1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

4-Band EQ

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by archades, Nov 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. archades

archades Forum Member

I would like to see a 4 band EQ come back for the S4. It could be mapped to the filter knob.

2. ajayp

ajayp NI Product Owner

I strongly would love the xone 4 band eq back as well. I have been using this from the start, and to me it sounds the best of the lot. Its a shame not to have the option.

On my vci-100 i got around the 4 knob problem by mapping both hi and mid hi to the High knob. This sounds really good to me.

Please, give us this option back.

3. Tarekith

Tarekith NI Product Owner

Please please please! I'd love to have the 4 band mapped to the 3 EQ and the filter knob, I can always use the filter in the FX section. This is my number one request for S4, hands down.

4. photojojo

photojojo Forum Member

+1 on this

5. cjbranda

cjbranda Forum Member

Yeah controlling the sub independantly from the beats is always a real crowd pleaser - great idea for the S4 filter knob!

6. Squep

Squep New Member

7. Arango

Arango Forum Member

I want the 4 band mapped too but i want to keep my filter so just let us be able to map it to whatever knob we want. Cuz i would map i the filter to the gain and the lows to the filter knob :D

8. ajayp

ajayp NI Product Owner

Sorry to harp on about this, but this is my number one feature request, the Xone EQ just sounds so excellent compared to the other three as the low bass separation and cut off is far superior.

Please make this happen. After 4 years of using traktor xone eq - its become second nature, and now it doesn't sound right not having the same level of control.

9. cjbranda

cjbranda Forum Member

;) This is easily the best suggestion on this forum and can't be too difficult to perform..! Please guys let's have this option - personally I don't even use the filter much anyway but as mentioned before we can still use the FX section filter. The idea of controlling only the sub with that nice chunky control knob is so cool and gonna feel great :cool:

10. h0l0fonze

h0l0fonze NI Product Owner

Since day 1 this has been my number 1 gripe about the S4. I LOVE the xone eq,and I desperately want the S4,but I will NOT be buying one until I know for sure you guys are going to re-implement the 4 band eq. I plan on using the S4 in conjunction with my X1 for effects,so I will have MORE than enough knobs for filters lol. PLEASE NI! Let us know what your plans are! Thanks :)

11. cjbranda

cjbranda Forum Member

Come on guys - you know you want to ;).

12. ajayp

ajayp NI Product Owner

I agree! At least please can you let us know if this is something you will include in the next update?

I've been trying to work with Classic, Nuo and P600 but I just can't get it to sound how I want, so I've resorted to mixing with Traktor Pro. I feel really bad that I actually don't want to mix with my expensive S4 just because I don't like the sound of the EQs available (in comparison to Xone)

Is there any reason why it was removed after so many years in service?

Will this be a complex feature to re-implement?

Please let us know.

13. h0l0fonze

Yes NI. PLEASE let us know if you plan on adding back in the xone eq. I literally have cash at hand waiting to buy one! The second I get confirmation that you are re-implementing it,I will click "checkout" ;)
    ---
    Also....I cant believe that after all these years,you guys have yet to update the existing 3-band eqs. I mean,come on.How do we still only have an emulation for the djm-600 (P600) when the djm-800 has been the standard for a few years now? If your going to take a step backward by removing the xone 4-band eq,couldnt you at least update the existing 3-band eqs to ACTUALLY sound like current mixers? That is one of the main complaints posted about traktor since day-1,and the reason most people prefer external mixers. This is supposed to be a new chapter via Traktor S4! Adding sample banks,and loop recorders is great and all,but I feel the software will never be truly embraced in major clubs around the world,until the sound quality and eqs are equal to the hardware used in said clubs. Just as software emulation of analog synthesizers are getting closer and closer to the real thing,we need the same leap forward in DJ software. Dont get me wrong,as I for one,LOVE the xone internal eq.It is,in my opinion, the only good sounding eq in traktor. Thanks for reading NI! NOW PLEASE BRING THE XONE EQ BACK AND CREATE SOME NEW ONES WHILE YOUR AT IT! (ps...you guys rock) ;)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  14. matthi_

matthi_ Forum Member

I don't have any experience with the 4 bands EQ but I want to believe it's superior to the standard 3 bands. However, I think there are 2 things to keep in mind:

1. The userbase of the S4 is not equal. What I mean is that this controller was also targeted at a starting audience which has little experience with DJing/controllers. This implies the mapping that NI have come up with so far is pretty straight forward, and to me it's even a big hit towards customers, it really is plug & play, isn't it? So to change f.ex. the big Filter knob at the bottom of the EQ row, you are changing the default layout. Either way, you give people a warning about this stating the function of the Filter know has changed so everybody's happy, or you don't. In case you don't I think you should not be implementing this as default behaviour and keep it to sites like Traktorbible to create a modded usermapping.

2. With regards to the novice user I talked about, $$ is an issue. It's really great to have an extra X1 laying around, so indeed you have the ability to map all your other things to knobs on the X1, but keep in mind that not everyone has this option. Again, mappings for this (advanced) controllerism are available through Traktorbible, but I think you cannot expect that NI will simply just implement these things for you. They should however open up the mappings so it can be done by others!

15. h0l0fonze

None of this is difficult to understand:

1.By default the software could stay the same with the 3 band eq and filter knob. You go into the preference menu and click 1 box with the option of the xone 4 band eq,which in turn,disables the filter knob for use as low eq. How is that so difficult to grasp? A beginner could figure this out no problem.

2.Even without an X1,you still have 6 available effects knobs(not counting wet/dry),12 available effects in chained mode,and a whopping 8 variations of filters to choose from. I think we have MORE than enough ways to control the filters. I am not the only one who is missing the xone eq,and I have no doubt NI will re-implement it soon enough...

16. ajayp

ajayp NI Product Owner

I agree!

Even easier is to let the individual user decide whether to map both Mids to one knob or Mid hi and Hi to one knob (the latter is what I have done). The point is to give us the choice to do what suits better. The S4 is targeted both to new comers to Traktor Pro as well as well seasoned and expert users - it is not an entry level device by any means.

17. Arango

Arango Forum Member

1 if a novice is using it then he wont mess with the settings in the first place to set it up with the 4 band eq. The straight forward mapping is not a problem at all. It is perfect for beginners. However, there is absolutely no gain from removing a feature that was previously in the program and not allowing those who are not beginners to map it as they wish.

2. The x1 to map the extra features would never be needed if NI just allowed its customers to map the S4 how they wish without losing the display and NHL.

Im a novice and ive never mapped any controller at all in my life and in fact i dont even use the 4 band eq. However i disagree with the fact that NI is removing features and restricting the mapping. I might be a novice but i do hope to learn to use those features and be able to map my controller however i want in the near future.

18. cjbranda

cjbranda Forum Member

;)

Attached Files:

• EQ4.JPG
      EQ4.JPG
      File size:
      85.8 KB
      Views:
  19. h0l0fonze

Nice pic cjbranda! There you go everybody! Now that wasnt so hard to figure out,was it? lol ;)

20. cjbranda

cjbranda Forum Member

Hey guys - feel free to email the above pic to NI in support of the 4EQ Cause (and ask your friends too!).

Peace,

CJ.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.