1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

4-Band EQ

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by archades, Nov 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thecomputerguy

thecomputerguy NI Product Owner

Yes 4 band EQ Deifinitely and kills as well......

2. Phantom18

Phantom18 Forum Member

4band xone! +1

3. contractcooker

contractcooker New Member

almost perfect

I was about to pull the trigger on the S4! So glad I checked this first..... really a major bummer that you can't configure it to your liking. I (like many of you it seems) don't really need the filter knob, would much rather have 4 band eq to work with. I'm also disappointed that no one from NI has commented on the issue. Not confidence-inspiring. Oh well, I'll just stick to my trusty xone mixer and dream of a better future :D It would be great if someone from NI responded to this thread.

4. Niems

Niems Forum Member

NI don't usually respond to anything on the forums. I guess they just read them and think, hey, that's cool or that's rubbish etc.

I'm yet to see one post on ANY suggestion which they have responded to themselves. The mods are helpful, but I reckon the team just don't bring themselves to the table.

5. contractcooker

Meh, I guess it's their choice how to interact with forums. I would have a better feeling about NI if they interacted more with their users but that's just my opinion.

6. ajayp

ajayp NI Product Owner

I've been trying so hard to get used to the classic, p600 and NUO4 but it just doesnt cut it for me, unlike the Xone, which had a much better cutoff on each frequency, you can hear so much of the sound band (hi, mid and low) bleed through even when the knob is fully turned down. Please bring back the Xone!

7. h0l0fonze

h0l0fonze NI Product Owner

Now that traktor pro 2 is coming out. I hope NI doesnt come out and say the xone 4 band eq is only an option for PRO users! That said Im positive there will be HID implementation for PRO 2 in the S4 controller,and most likely a version for the xone eq taking over the filter knob. We're already at 46 requests here,so again....please say SOMETHING about the eq NI!

8. contractcooker

+1 I ended up buying a xone:62 instead but I'm watching this thread like a hawk. *fingers crossed*

9. HorzaPaceYourself

HorzaPaceYourself Forum Member

49 posts summed up by just one :)

10. ajayp

ajayp NI Product Owner

Lol! I wasn't exaggerating when I said I couldnt get used to it. I spent hours on end, playing and comparing the 3 available options. Just didn't cut it. Then for weeks I felt sad everytime I looked at the s4 because I didn't want to use my s4 just because of the xone eq being missing.

Slightly OT, but related..., last weekend I sat down and mapped the s4 to the old traktor pro 1.2.7 just so I could use the s4 with the xone eq.... I am now absolutely loving the hardware. The device, and customised control possibilities with so many knobs and buttons are endless. Even though its not in NHL, to make up for it the midi provides much great flexibility for mapping super knobs and jog functions. Anyway back OT, the most important point is that I mapped the S4 to the xone eq and it sounds freeking awesome. I ended up mapping Hi and Mid Hi to one knob to get around the 4 knob->3 issue.

If you want to check out this mapping so you too can have the joy of using the S4 with the Xone EQ right now then take a look at this thread:
    http://www.native-instruments.com/forum/showthread.php?t=128041

I hope this can help some of you who are also missing the Xone right now.

11. Pakman

Pakman NI Product Owner

This thread is very reminicent of the XoneDB4 one
    http://www.native-instruments.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119084&highlight=xone+db4

I too have some things to say. Maybe not complete on topic, but certainly reasons why 4-band emulation MUST REMAIN:

First, I started DJing with 4-band EQ, as if 3-band didn't even exist. Understanding the nature of sound it just made so much more sense. The learning curve was equally steep, and I am now well polished across the 4 bands. Actually, the 4-band learning curve made me understand the various sound spectra so much better, it actually taught me something about music manipulation without using effects. Most 3-band junkies simply see it as cut & boost, what a waste!

As a result I cannot fathom how people can be satisfied with 3 bands. I guess they feel 'cut & boost' is good enough. But also, that's my personal views. I don't think 4-band mappable EQ on the S4 will be too hard for newbies, and hardly see it as a valid excuse for exclusion. Including it under preferences is hardly of any sweat to anyone. Probably why I simply won't upgrade from Traktor Pro, or ever bother to get an S4. It's retarded. Once you understand 4-band, 3-band becomes second best. So, I take it as a slap in the face from NI. What must us 4-band users do? Go f*** ourselves? Not cool.

For my mobile setup I have the Xone EQ mapped out on my X1, the reason why I own 2 of them, more than the effects. In fact, on each X1 I have mapped the 4-band EQ one side, and on the other side I have the Xone Filter emulation permanently switched on. I use my 2D for effects. At home I use my Xone:92, which does bring up a persistent question in my mind, to which I cannot find a real valid answer.

Why is the 4-band system being scrapped altogether? When the XoneDB4 was announced I was so mega excited! And then it was like, oh, oh no, oh no why, why only 3-band EQ? Come to think of it, I felt similar when the 4D came out.

It seems to me that this 'trend' or whatever the real reason might be, has now finally spilled over into the NI camps, so that we too can now have less control with our controllers. I find this ridiculous. It's not like NI is saving money on less knobs, just leave it in preferences!

So can anybody tell me the real reason why 4-band has become an endangered species? Why, when there are so many of us out there? It does not compute.

I just wanna keep on ranting about this page after page, 'cause I just don't get it. Am I stuck on Traktor Pro forever? Am I stuck on a Xone:92 forever? When both become redundant, shall I too then stop to practice my art and become redundant? Yes, I am the victim!

PS, here's a debate between the two types:
    http://forums.di.fm/the-dj-booth/4-band-eq-vs-3-band-eq-152809/

12. contractcooker

I think a lot of people are fully satisfied with 3-bands. That's why I totally understand the logic of making 3-band the default but you should still be able to have the choice especially on a cutting edge piece of equipment.

13. tomflynn

tomflynn NI Product Owner

The P600 is the best Eq of the 3 availible for me. Not quite Xone but not bad. Its weird how we still have Xone filters but no xone Eq's.

14. Tarekith

Tarekith NI Product Owner

4-band EQ is in Traktor Pro 2, coming soon!

15. dannybyrne29

dannybyrne29 NI Product Owner

yeah i heard... wonder how your S4's gonna cope with that knob wise ... may have to remap my X1 to do the lot....!

16. Tarekith

Tarekith NI Product Owner

I'll just use the filter knob for the low band, I still have the Xone filter in the effects section anyway.

17. dannybyrne29

dannybyrne29 NI Product Owner

yeah... thats probably the best way round it...!

18. Pedro Vidigal

Pedro Vidigal New Member

Hey guys, good morning...
    TP2 is out and the 4 band eq is there... how do I remap de nobs so that I can use it?
    I would love to use the filter and low band.. and go up from it..

If anyone could help I'd be very happy.. tks and kindest regards..

19. contractcooker

confirmation that this works in tp2

Hello,
    Is it true that this works in tp2?

20. HorzaPaceYourself

HorzaPaceYourself Forum Member

Unfortunately not, Xone EQ is available but I haven't found a way to map to the S4. Was going to use the filter as the low EQ and bottom rotaries's for the two MIDs. I cant seem to manage to override the default S4 (though I haven't really dived into modifying the S4 controls before).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.