1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

A bit disappointed with Komplete Kontrol 2

Discussion in 'KOMPLETE KONTROL SERIES' started by Dillon Fontaine, Apr 10, 2018.

1. HammyHavoc

HammyHavoc NI Product Owner

You're spot on with this. We should not be expected to go and learn a new DAW on top of purchasing it, invest in other new hardware et cetera when the first gen product functioned just fine. The remote app for S1 is great (talent can control levels, use transport etc from the booth without more hardware), the integration with Console 1 hardware is also great, we've even got PreSonus hardware. We're very much invested in sticking with this DAW.

Layering is a must too. I can't believe we're here in 2018, 8 months after the KKMK2 launched, and we're asking for transport to work. You can be damn sure that if this had been mentioned in the marketing materials then I wouldn't have bothered "upgrading" to the MK2.

• Like Like x 2
  2. trusampler

trusampler NI Product Owner

Right, and that's the exact problem, they pitch the" works in your daw" slogan, and it doesn't apply to all daws,yet we the consumer, go on thinking it will work,until we purchase it, and it doesn't. What does shortly to come mean exactly? This has been mentioned in some video's, other daws shortly to come. Ok how about having the decency to specify what exactly that means,for Presonus users for example, then maybe Pro Tools users.
    Honestly there should be a law that states companies can only pitch what works, and not be allowed to mislead consumer with general statements such as "soon to come", or whatever words we're indeed used. And damn, tell the customers you took out the workaround that did work, and yes we crippled it for your daw!
    NI should have dedicated developers for work in daws, some for standalone, this just shows they are willing to sacrifice the consumer to beta until they get around to it.
    No it shouldn't have a place in the marketplace if this is not yet met, or don't say it at all!

• Like Like x 2
  3. Psalmster

Psalmster New Member

Wondering (3 things):

1. Has anything improved with the recent update (2.02) regarding enhanced MIDI control and concerns mentioned on this thread?

2. (As a buyer in progress) I'm looking for ReadMe info on the v.2 update and the v.2.0.2 update. I'm not easily finding this info publically available. It looks like it is only sent out via Native Access downloads as part of the Update process. Would any of you be so kind as to copy/paste what FEATURES are Added and BUGS improved?

3. Regarding the lack of layering and limitations of plugin browsing and NKS compatibility, are any of you aware of or using FREESTYLE (NewSonicArts.com)? Apparently it is by the former developer of KORE and Maschine and may be the "solution" to what MK2 should have been. Might equal or exceed the general browsing features that Akai's VIP 3 has, and similarly add splits, layers, effects, routing options galore; and to be optimized for LIVE play. (As if it were specifically designed to overcome KK's limitations). Love to hear if it is truly "solving" the KK's limitations.

4. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

https://www.native-instruments.com/forum/threads/using-more-than-one-instrument-in-kk.329183/

5. BezowinZ

BezowinZ NI Product Owner

I'm less than 6 months into my 1st experience with KK, so I can't compare with prior versions.

I agree with most everything already mentioned, but this doesn't seem to be getting as much support and I imagine is the easiest to implement. C'mon NI!

Also, are we able to add an instance of KK to a track (Logic Pro X) via keyboard? If so, how? If not, please add.

• Like Like x 1
  6. OneLittleWolf

OneLittleWolf NI Product Owner

Yeah, there's Freestyle and Cantabile but both are costly (in my books) to get the features I'd need. There was a free version of Freestyle or maybe it was something else (posted elsewhere on this forum) that I haven't tried yet. It's just something I kinda expected would be built in to Komplete Kontrol software.

7. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

Of course I fully agree, it would be much better if KK could do these but right now it doesn't and since I need these features and refuse to let KK's limitations get in the way of me making music, I fall back on workarounds like this (doesn't stop me continuing also to press NI on further updating KK, if anything it shows them more clearly what needs to happen if they can see people using such approaches productively).

I do appreciate the money issue though - I had Freestyle already before KK as it's useful in itself.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
  8. Nabumetheus

Nabumetheus NI Product Owner

Has NI released any updates for with the thread creators feedback?

9. hlf

hlf NI Product Owner

I've put it back in the box a few days ago, inefficient and bugs just keep coming up... it's f*cked up. I wish I bought Push 2.

• Like Like x 1
  10. DJ5D

DJ5D New Member

I have nothing but disappointment for my KK49 MK2, and the so-called Komplete Kontrol software.

Komplete Kontrol isn't capable of even basic functions, such as scrolling thru presets on a VST. This is NO universal controller. Outside of NI instruments, all it's best features are completely useless. Also, it crashes constantly, and is slowwww, even on a top-tier computer.

I'm returning it, and getting an Akai Advance with VIP software- which seems to be a more universal and less proprietary controller. This is disappointing, since i like the form factor of the KK49 MK2 a lot better.

For God's sake NI, what were you thinking?? Why come so close and then screw it up so badly??

• Like Like x 2
  11. Goon

Goon NI Product Owner

Not all VSTs work properly within VIP software, plus in my experience it was buggy as hell, and my main plugins didnt work. If it has the VSTs mapped for you then its good (No prehear thou), even the V3 VIP smart features are not as easy to use as KK's. I dont know of any 'universal' controller that can browser every plugins presets that well.

KK works well on my 5 year old i5 windows PC. So isnt slow here.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. JesterMgee

JesterMgee NI Product Owner

Yeah if you have made your mind up already, good luck with VIP. Used it, hated it, and it seems it was a flash in the pan and many of the plugin libraries are not being updated. It uses the same method to browse presets as KK, the instruments have each preset saved as an external file which you can then browse.

There are loads of user created NKS libraries for Komplete Kontrol, there is a dedicated thread on this forum and I have a link in my sig so you can see if there is support for what you have.

In regards to crashes, I don't see this kind of issue. Could try and compare apples and oranges if you posted details about your fruit basket.

13. OneLittleWolf

I found no reliability nor speed problems with Komplete Kontrol used on an old Surface Pro 3 (Core i5, 8GB RAM) and now with Surface Book 2 (i7, 16GB RAM). What does blow me away though is that in apps like Kontakt you can't map "next instrument" to even a MIDI CC. Also true for 100% of other VSTs I've come across. Please... allow me a right-click on the left/right controls to learn MIDI CC!

With Komplete Kontrol actually you have powerful browsing controls in the KK mkII series, WAY better than browsing on the computer. That's the main point of getting the MK2. But that only works when using Komplete Kontrol as the virtual instrument of course... which is great for the thousands of NI instruments we get.

14. DJ5D

DJ5D New Member

Since posting I have got a copy of Akai VIP for testing, and I've discovered that it has it's flaws as well...many instruments didn't map correctly, and it is about as fast/stable as Komplete Kontrol- not a clear advantage there. I also have an Advance keyboard on the way for hands-on testing.

A little ray of hope, since I do love NI products, is the discovery of a batch converter called Preset Magician, for converting presets to NI format. It has solved a couple items on my list of unacceptable limitations- giving me some hope that KK will be actually usable outside of NI instruments. However, I feel that I shouldn't have to buy another piece of software just to make it work. So from here its determining the lesser of two evils, so it would seem...

Some of the instabilty/lag I experienced was fixed by removing troublesome VSTs, and I suspect that my 'massive' Massive preset libraries could be a problem as well. (I've been collecting them for years and the folder has 73K files, 460MB in it!)

I'll post my conclusions to help any future buyers decide.

My system:

Fresh install of Win10, tuned for music apps
    AMD FX-8350 4GHZ 8Core
    32GB RAM
    Separate SSDs for system, programs and samples

• Like Like x 1
  15. OneLittleWolf

Yeah, I have an Akai mini MK2 and therefore got Akai VIP but it seems confusing, didn't see all the instruments, some things just didn't seem to work.

That's a brilliant little piece of software, thanks for sharing!

Interesting. Was just starting to look for Massive and other preset libraries for synths like Kontour. But yeah, I was getting a bunch of instability once and suspected the Kinetic Metal instrument because on one track it was glitching out and seemingly causing MIDI/USB driver to die, killing all performance until I rebooted. Not great at the beginning of a church service. Uninstalled it completely and things worked better. Now on a new PC, fresh install of everything I think Kinetic Metal is fine but there's no thumbnail on it in the Komplete Kontrol keyboard screen browser. I think something's borked with that instrument.

16. Goon

Goon NI Product Owner

We did try and warn you that Akai's VIP was flaky at best.

17. JesterMgee

JesterMgee NI Product Owner

That should be enough to throw you right off.

Unless they made some significant changes, first thing I would suggest you try is when you have it connected with your DAW, press Play on the keyboard then stop in the DAW and see if the keyboard still shows the play button as selected.

Also, MIDI map a control to something and then move the control in the DAW with your mouse. Again, unless they improved this, MIDI is a 1 way thing and you do not get feedback from the DAW.

I've been watching the Advance for 4 years since I tried and ditched it and it seems it's not really progressing much at all. Not to say NI is doing any better with progressing with things but it's (IMO) a lot more stable and easier to use and the keyboard itself is better quality.

• Informative Informative x 2
  18. HammyHavoc

HammyHavoc NI Product Owner

This was my previous experience too. Quite archaic and didn't feel like that useful a workflow.

19. trusampler

trusampler NI Product Owner

I have an Advance and when I want to layer,create multi's and use transport controls, it's fine for this. It doesn't offer deep integration such as NKS, but sometimes I just want to make music,and build sounds, layer,perform splits, without any issues, this is where the Akai advance VIP software leaves Komplete Kontrol in the dust.

20. DJ5D

DJ5D New Member

Well, the comparison trials are over. I've decided to stick with NI, keeping the KK S49MK2 and returning the Akai Advance49.

Initially I was shocked at the limitations with non-NI VSTs, but after a tremendous amount of customization, scripting, and purchasing additional software like Preset Magician, I can now make KK work like it's supposed to. I can scroll thru presets, build libraries, etc- it just takes a lot of extra work to get them all set up. And, since I've already invested in the Komplete suite, it made the most sense.