A gallery of Reaktor ensembles - submit yours

Discussion in 'REAKTOR' started by peterkirn, Jul 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. srs

srs NI Product Owner

Awesome... thanks Herw!

2. Horuschild

Horuschild NI Product Owner

another skin job

Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  3. JPaul23

JPaul23 NI Product Owner

Can't believe I have to wait so long for the first part of the last series of Battlestar Galactica to come out on DVD....

4. Dumbolino

Dumbolino NI Product Owner

The knobs on blue ground have a very nice lighting, I like them much!

5. Horuschild

Thanks.

Check the upload for this in the UL I tried to make it appear as if the speaker move when you play. If the volume is high they should move fairly quick. If you lower the gain from the amp to the cab the pulsing effect should decrease as well, and it should stop when you stop playing.

;)

6. big920

big920 NI Product Owner

this is my drumtraks emulator/controller from the UL. the wood endcheeks are from the very talented horuschild.

Attached Files:

7. spencerTron

spencerTron NI Product Owner

I think Horuschild tops most at GUI design, but the Herw modular is personal fave, the wiring/patch function is class.

8. Horuschild

:cool:

9. sowari

sowari Moderator Moderator

in terms of building, flexibility, design, and musical possibilities, Herw's Modular is in a class of its own.

sowari

10. Horuschild

Certainly is.

11. Sunstream

Sunstream New Member

Theres some obscenely good stuff in here, thanks for leading me to some of it... I never before was familiar with Booglebeat, but I've just programmed some of the best drum sounds I've ever made... Crazy....

12. Horuschild

Peter,

should we just post pics to the flickr acount if we have one?

its been awhile.

13. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

two times knobman 3-D for lhaymehr

Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
  14. lhaymehr

lhaymehr Forum Member

Cheers Paule. Oh and BTW, I really do hope that R6 will have the possibility of per-pixel positioning of images because this right now is painful. Also, I'm dreaming of a property panel much like the one found in Forms designer of say .NET or Delphi controls. Imagine a scripting language within Reaktor able to access controls and modules, interacting with GUI via properties.

Imagine something like assigning a OnMouseDown handler to a MouseArea panel and doing stuff like this:

procedure MouseArea1.OnLMouseDown;
    begin
    PanelA.Macro42.VolumeKnob.Visible := True;
    PanelA.Macro42.VolumeKnob.Position := 69;
    PanelA.Macro42.XYDisplay1.X1 := 0.2;
    PanelA.Macro42.XYDisplay1.Y1 := 0.5;
    end;

All I would do is play with Reaktor all day long. ;)

15. Horuschild

I think the biggest problem is not being able to define the mouse area of an image used in a panel control. To make a knob that others can use needs the correct shadowing, which is what gives it that sense of depth, require a good deal of space. So the pixels area goes up and the mouse area is rather large. I do not like large mouse areas. I have just placed the shadowing on the panel image but that doesn't really work unless the user want to work out a full GUI. I have mentioned this before so I wont go into it.

16. herw

herw NI Product Owner

there is no need of large mouse areas!

17. Horuschild

Adding a shadow to create the correct sense of depth requires at least 10 more pixels, see pic for example. This also increases the mouse area used by the knob. It would make sense in my mind to limit the mouse area to the part of the image that is the knob from the properties panel so that I do not have to use alternative methods of mouse control and midi learn. The whole point of having a custom panel element is to have something that is visually stimulating. In order to do that effectively it should be visually correct so shadowing is needed to do this. The knob without the shadow, as seen in the example is flat and visually awkward as the absence of perceived light is missing from the image.

It’s a small thing but for someone that invests a great deal of time into the visual images in Reaktor it’s rather important. It is also important since we share our instruments with others that may not want to use these images for various reasons. The point is this, extremely customized macros to control these images effectively is not the most desirable solution in general and does not make it useful for those that want to modify macro and such. The modular, for example, has fascinating usage of customized controls for panel elements and I myself have used them, yet, if some one wants to modify a macro from the modular this will not be an easy task in comparison to a standard panel element. The alternative is to have no images for uploads and I don’t care for that alternative, the images are as much a part of the instrument for me as the instrument itself but no for everyone and I am trying to keep that more global sense in mind. As Chris List has mention that this is one aspect that he evaluates in an upload to the UL. Extremely customized control will limit its effectiveness for others to adapt it for their own needs.

18. lhaymehr

lhaymehr Forum Member

You can put the shadow on the panel background bitmap. It's not meant to rotate anyway, right? Unfortunately, aligning the background with the knob can be tricky, especially because of the grid.

19. Horuschild

It’s actually a very simple procedure and grid is 4px. This is the method I use in general mow and also why I no longer contribute panel elements to the UL. I have seen several uploads to the UL that use my panel elements with no shadowing and it looks wrong and incorrect as I intended the shadowing to be added to the background bitmap and the builder did not do that as is their choice. I realized that this is not a good method in general for an upload to the UL as it requires the builder to a task they may not want to invest time into, an added image they may not want, or are unable to do. None the less, images become large due to shadowing and lack a sense of utility once a large pixel area is used. When I make complex images for an appealing sense of realism as I've done in the past is requires a good deal of real estate on the panel area which is undesirable in most instances due to monitor size and functionality of navigating the screen to adjust parameters.

The biggest problem for people that choose to use an image with no shadow is the floating effect that improper or no shadowing will create, this is bewildering, annoying, and defeats the purpose of it being there. This will either force them to live with the ugly aspect of it or add more images themselves. Adding the shadowing in many cases limits the utility of the panel element due to the size required for shadowing. I could always just make ultra simple panel elements but then what the point use the native image with the panel element. Also making images that will not require the extra shadowing area and still look good on an empty instrument panel is very limiting.

20. herw

herw NI Product Owner

as i understand your knobs you have three elements: the fixed shadow (f.i. a picture with transparency), the knob picture (without shadow) and the overlapping transparent mouse area. The mouse area is allways on top so why are you not able to use the same area of the non shadowed knob?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.