1. Hi everyone,

This forum is now closed for posting! If you require technical support from NI or have a questions about activating your product, please head over to our new Support Community!

NATIVE INSTRUMENT SUPPORT COMMUNITY

The Support Community is the new location where you can expect to receive assistance and feedback on technical support, sales or installation issues from our Support Agents and other users.

Please also note, questions about the status of an order should always be directly sent to our Order Support team HERE.

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

A guide how to install VST2 x64 softwares in Windows x64.

Discussion in 'Product Installation and Activation (Archive)' started by Freddie H, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Freddie H

Freddie H NI Product Owner

A guide how to install VST2 x64 softwares in Windows x64.

Some installers continuously prompt the need to always install all the cheesy x32bit versions. NI installers wont let the user have the option to deselect all x32bit versions. So this is how I always install all my VST2 softwares. VST3 versions you don't need to worry about this. VST3 is smart and use only the VST3 x64 versions in a x64 Host.

How to install x64 VST2 plugins.

1. First of, create a new map in "C:\Program Files" and call it "x64 VSTPlugins". on disk ----> C:\Program Files\x64 VSTPlugins

2. In that new created "x64 VSTPlugins"-map you will place all x64 VST2 plugins in the future that you want install on your computer. Other 3part manufactories too that still use VST2.4 plugins.

4. Create another new map inside that location "x64 VSTPlugins" and call it "Native Instruments" on disk ---> C:\Program Files\x64 VSTPlugins\Native Instruments

5. Now go to C:\Program Files\Native Instruments and create a new map called "VSTPlugins 32bit" ----> C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\VSTPlugins 32bit

6. When the NI installer ask were to place all your x64 VST2s plugins. Prompted to the location ---> C:\Program Files\x64 VSTPlugins\Native Instruments

7. When the NI installer ask were to place all x32 VST2s plugins. Prompted to the location ---> C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\VSTPlugins 32bit

The beauty with this way of procedure and installation is that you are in control what the DAW host should recognized in your system.
    The DAW won't know or recognized were all the VST2 x32 versions are placed on the disk. The only thing you need to do now once, is that in your DAWs like Cubase, SONAR etc. add the new x64 VST location, --> "C:\Program Files\x64 VSTPlugins" only so your DAW can find the x64 VST2 plugins.
    The x32bit location you don't add or locate in your host at all.

Do this with all your 3 part softwares and plugins in the future. It would better if we can skip the x32version completely but until that day comes we need to continuously do it in that way. Like I said earlier, if you use VST3 version you can forget all about this. It handle all installation procedure automatically in a smart way. Many software manufactories provide VST3 formats today. I then skip installing VST2 versions completely.

Best Regards
    Freddie

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  2. b-righteous

b-righteous Moderator Moderator

Great post. This is how I always do it. The problem is service center is set to automatically install the updates. Most users let service center install things and run into issues. You have to run the installers manually and create these folders on your own to have control. Also, never move the NI VST .dll manually via drag or copy paste. Use the update installers to target the correct paths.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Freddie H

Freddie H NI Product Owner

Thank you!
    Great valid points. I also download the updates from the "service center" but I install them manually.

Best Regards
    Freddie