1. Hi everyone,

We have just announced our latest version of the Komplete bundles.

Find out more about the bundles and the newly added instruments

Komplete 13 is available for pre-order now, and will become available for download on October 1, 2020.

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

A program to separate/split instruments in a song

Discussion in 'General DJ Forum' started by musicman7p, Mar 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. musicman7p

musicman7p Forum Member

Please Read this thread, its a very interesting read(CLICK HERE)(ITS 3 pages long)

Just to show you that it is in very high demand(CLICK HERE)

I have always been one to speak my mind, so I think I speak for all DJ's/producers/beatmakers on this topic. I am pretty sure that if you ask any DJ right now they would tell you "I always dreamed of a program that could split instruments in a song". The problem is, is that everyone has it in their mind that it is impossible to do. If Native Instruments could come up with a program like that I think that it would take music production to a whole other level. Just the thought of being able to wake up and manipulate a digital audio file in anyway possibleTO Native Instruments: If you can come up with a program that can separate/split instruments in a song I WOULD NEVER LEAVE MY HOUSE.

2. Fzang

Fzang Forum Member

This task is close to impossible. Think of a mastered track as a sauce; you can't just take a spoon and filter out only one taste.

3. oldgit

oldgit NI Product Owner

Melodyn (well the latest version of it) does split some elements of a song out and allow you to export midi and change the key of the audio. Its quite a useful tool for re-mixers

4. musicman7p

musicman7p Forum Member

Did you read this(CLICK HERE) I believe that each sound has a signature wave pattern. If you were to slam a car door and sound off the alarm at the same time your ears are able to determine which sound is which. Each sound sound that we hear vibrates to our eardrums differently that is the only way we can tell a balloon pop from a dog bark. I believe the science is within the ears all that is needed is to find out how our ears are able to distinguish different sounds and apply that same science to computers.

Think of this scenario as Oscillators(Sine, sawtooth, square, triangle, and pulse) each oscillator has a different shape and the waveforms travel differently this is how we are able to hear the difference between a square wave and a sine wave. They have different waveforms and the same thing goes for any other sound. When we hear sound each sound has a unique waveform and that is how we can distinguish different sounds. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMF8F9z7Zr8]look at this vid @ part 3:52[/ame] its showing you how a waveform travels through the speakers, this is the same concept when sound waves are vibrating on the ear drum.

The science here is in the waveforms.

5. musicman7p

musicman7p Forum Member

Ill give this another bump

6. electrogrimey

electrogrimey Forum Member

You can take most of the vocals out of a track in both Ableton and Audacity, or at least push them far to the backround. There are loads of tutorials on youtube.

7. musicman7p

musicman7p Forum Member

But I'm not talking about vocals specifically, I'm talking about instruments in a song.

8. musicman7p

musicman7p Forum Member

9. Rasmuffin

Rasmuffin NI Product Owner

Doesn't sound like this is an application coming out for the pro or semi-pro, but a service they provide. Did you see an indication that they would be releasing software to the public? It would be a blast to work with and remix without having the original stems. Bet it would be expensive if software is released.

10. musicman7p

musicman7p Forum Member

11. Rasmuffin

Oooo. I thought that was a demo of a service not the program demo. Nice, I'll check it out.

12. russellventilla

russellventilla New Member

interesting.... will need to look into that when i get home.

13. musicman7p

musicman7p Forum Member

WOAH THIS THING IS IMPRESSIVE. Although not perfect I was able to ISOLATE some instruments in any song.

14. Rasmuffin

I could see this working well with a quartet and a vocalist, but the electronic music I tried it on didn't isolate much except for the hi hat/clap. The vocals were on most of the seperated tracks and the bass was divided up and was in and out of different tracks. There was one track that seemed to be all the reverb from the song.
    Considering how difficult this must be and it's intended use to help restore and remaster and not really extracting an acapella/instrument to use in a new track, they're on to something.

15. musicman7p

musicman7p Forum Member

Actually its a TECHNIQUE. What you have to do is Inverse and Demix so that you get what you want. Say for instance when you hear the vocals and a synth in one track it separated you can INVERSE the track(Lets say for instance it separated the synth track by itself) all you have to do is Demix the track with the vocals again and then inverse it. The program is not good at separating each track by itself, you have to do a little work, but I do see some good results. It involves a little bit of math but it can be done

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.