1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

A question of X-fader length

Discussion in 'General DJ Forum' started by PhilL, May 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhilL

PhilL Moderator Moderator

so I f your X-Fader could be any length, what is your preferred length or control throw? I've spoken to a few DJs, it seems like the scratch set prefer a shorter fader which the beatmatch seem to indicate longer throw, but really how long do you prefer and for which style. I realize the cut is important too but I wanna get the physical length right for the iPad template. and while we are one the subjekt what about vol fader lengths?

oh-BTW not one euphamism was used intended or harmed in the production of this potentially inuendo laced message so kindly git yer mind out da gutter and help ol gadget-geek-boy out.

2. TeLLy

TeLLy NI Product Owner Extraordinaire

I don't scratch (well) but I like short faders. What's hard is finding a mixer that has a perfectly linear curve on 45mm line faders, which is my personal preference. I actually don't like 60mm faders. Since we're talking controller and not a physical fader, the crossfader curve or throw matter not to lil ol' me.

3. PhilL

Actually when you get yer mits on one of these things you may well form a different opinion. When we were designing we actually disassembled a good few mixers to see what pot types they had in them. I would have thought a linear pot would be most used but that was not the case. Log was the type we saw most commonly, which would account for the no linear feel. After all there is only so much you can do to compensate for the escalating rate of change as the pot moves.

The length of the pot I have found definitely makes a difference to how you handle the control. As much as anything it's a psych thing. If the control is too short or the controls are too densely packed in then you have problems being precise. If the control is too long or large then you risk getting incomplete full throws among other things.

4. Frace

Frace Forum Member

attention useful contribution:

i don't use the crossfader :D

but since i don't use that i like my volume faders realively long (xone 92 i perfect) and linear

5. Karlos Santos

Karlos Santos Rocket Man Moderator

Long upfaders for definite. Stubby channel faders are annoying.

Crossfaders, 45mm for definite. 60mm is more of a journey than a crossfade.

Longer upfaders and a 45mm x-fader give the best of both worlds if you like to do 25minute long trance transitions then scratch Encore Un Fois into Kriss Kross.

No honest it sounds really good ;)

6. electrogrimey

electrogrimey Forum Member

Yep, long upfaders and short crossfader. Thinking about that makes me want a better mixer.

7. TeLLy

I just found out my tax return will be huge. Whatever this is, take my money and send me one.

8. Karlos Santos

I just got a job in your local mail sorting office.

9. TeLLy

Good, you can tell them to stop sending back products to the USA for no good reason at all.

Also kill the ugly girl whose nose makes her look like the wicked witch of the west.

10. PhilL

We'll get right on that for ya. Would the addition of a couple of long channel faders help with the looks do ya think?

Phil

11. Karlos Santos

Short answer yes. Long answer absolutely.

I accidentally got used to longer channel faders with the entry-level Vestax i bought with my first decks. I think that mixer made me the constant tweaker i am today.
    I may be in a minority here but i just dont like Rane 57 upfaders. Just to stubby.

Ive never considered myself to be just a scratch DJ so thats the rub.
    A bit of both worlds, a bit like Spock.

12. TeLLy

Long faders make baby jeebus cry. I want short ones. Make them interchangeable like the PMC-37.

13. PhilL

I tried out your short channel faders.... meehhh... not so good, not very precise. Xfader was fine but channel fader, not so much. Sorry but da BeeBeebeJesus, he gotz ta keep on wit da crying.

Phil

14. TeLLy

He's stopped crying and has gone blue. Something about being kept on his stomach or something like that.

I want my short channel faders. Make it happen or I will unleash the unholy power of...um...actually I got nothin. Just make it happen or I will throw a tantrum and generally be a jerk. More so than usual that is.

15. Karlos Santos

I imagine that Phils creation will need to appeal to the many not the few though.

If a choice is an option then thats great but essentially ... stop crying TeLLy long faders it is. teehee

Oh and baby jeebus needs winding and i think hes spit up on your X1 :p

16. TeLLy

You goddamn long-mix f*ckers. I want scratcharifficness. But if this is good I'll play nice and accept thy long faders (and silently curse Karlos Santizzle every time I mix).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.