a radical idea!

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by jmazzotti, Jul 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmazzotti

jmazzotti NI Product Owner

a universal envelope library
    it would be a folder all envelopes with an envelope editor/creator software
    that all ni synths would access
    just one folder for all ni synths
    you could then load envelopes to and from all those applications
    imagine an endless supply of melodies and rhythm envelopes that could be created and mutated from the editor software and then loaded into the various ni synths
    this would be insane!

2. ew

ew Moderator Moderator

I somewhat like the idea.

What I don't like is the crossposting in between forums. I'll leave this thread open, but close your threads in the forums where I can do so. Please read the forum rules; they're there for a reason. Consider this a warning...

ew

3. gnapier

gnapier NI Product Owner

But ew, it IS a good idea and is relevant to a bunch of NI stuff (well Massive, Absynth, and Kontakt at least). Wouldn't it be ok to leave the posts there to encourage discussion? (If he posted there that is.)

GN

4. ew

ew Moderator Moderator

I can see your point, but then where do we mods draw the line about what's acceptable and what isn't as far as crossposting goes? And, I know he posted in the Absynth, FM8, Massive and Reaktor forums at the very least; those were the ones I noticed.

I'll talk with Thomas about setting up a general feature request forum for requests like this that fit in multiple forums.

ew

5. gnapier

gnapier NI Product Owner

Very Cool. Thanks!

FWIW: I think it should be "above the fold" per se. In other words somewhere amongst the main forums as opposed to the bottom of the page. Maybe it could be called something like "Cross Cutting Issues" or "Multi-Instrument Posts" or something.

Thanks again.

GN

6. jmazzotti

jmazzotti NI Product Owner

its also relevant to reaktor and fm8
    i don't know why i needed a "warning"
    a simple please don't post in multiple forums would have sufficed

i am sorry but i didn't read all of the forum rules
    since i own and use all of the ni products i don't understand why i can't post in multiple forums

if you only kinda like this idea then you don't get it
    this would be as big as kore imho

there should also be a universal waveform library as well
    in fact the two libraries should be the same thing!
    samples, waveforms, envelopes...... make them all one thing
    with one universal editor/creator allowing for complete scalability
    this would allow for real fractalization of sounds (one waveform/envelope at various scales/sizes)

imagine being able to extract envelopes from samples and waveforms
    a piano envelope from a piano sample etc.....

7. ew

ew Moderator Moderator

There's nothing that says you can't post in multiple forums. What you can't do is post the same exact thread to multiple forums.

The reason why I'm only lukewarm about the idea is the work it would involve. Absynth allows 63 points per envelope. While both FM8 and Reaktor's multipoint envelopes can have up to 32 points, they're completely different; the Reaktor envelopes use at least five times the CPU as FM8's do. Massive doesn't use user defined multipoint envelopes at all. You're talking about a complete recode from the ground up...

ew

8. Lowkus

Lowkus NI Product Owner

Why can't an identical post be made in multiple forums? That doesn't make sense to me.

9. tubaman

tubaman NI Product Owner

It's kind of a mild form of spam, isn't it? It doesn't seem like a problem because it's not allowed. I think you'd see it differently if it was happening all the time. just my humble opinion. I'm not a moderator.

10. gnapier

gnapier NI Product Owner

I tend to agree...although there are some times when the topic is cross cutting so some allowance is appropriate methinks....

11. kid_sputnik

kid_sputnik NI Product Owner

i think ew is right too, that this is probably impossible. NI products dont use the same envelopes. even absynth vs FM7 multistage envelopes are quite differant. same with Reaktor, which uses alot of regular ADSR and multiramp. the Reaktor multistage envelope is a macro, built in reaktor, so again this doesnt apply.

good idea, though, just try to stick it in one forum.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2007
  12. sijarvis

sijarvis NI Product Owner

i don't see what's so special about envelopes, seeing as all parameters can be automated inside host daw. i suppose they make sense for standalone's, but it's rare that i use instruments in that mode anyway.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2007
  13. Cbswe

Cbswe Forum Member

seems like a interesting and alternative idea, could probably come in handy if you want to apply similar filters to different sounds

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.