A25 On-screen overlay setting doesn't do anything

Discussion in 'KOMPLETE KONTROL SERIES' started by van Grieg, Feb 13, 2019.

1. van Grieg

van Grieg NI Product Owner

I noticed a setting in Maschine software that seems to be supposed to enable on-screen overlay while navigating sounds (Hardware - Navigate - Browse Mode). But it doesn't do anything, no overlay appears.

Am I missing something or is it just a setting that doesn't work?

2. JesterMgee

JesterMgee NI Product Owner

Unfortunately that does not apply to the A series. It has been requested to be an option to use instead of the small keyboard display but as yet, no word if it is even a consideration.

• Like Like x 1
  3. van Grieg

Ah, damnit. What is it for then? I don’t recall overlays when using the S series either. And the option appears when I connect my A series keyboard specifically.

4. JesterMgee

It's for hardware such as the Maschine Micro and older hardware like the MK1 keyboard. Personally I believe it should also be available for the A series since it is very frustrating to browse on such a small screen. Hopefully NI take note and add it to their very long list of feature requests that should be implemented.

5. van Grieg

That’s weird. When I connect my Mikro, Maschine doesn’t show this option for it (which is a shame because that would be tremendously useful). It is only available for the A25.

6. JesterMgee

Yeah I assumed with the Micro. I don't use Maschine so I wouldn't actually know for sure but with Komplete Kontrol the option is only available for the MK1 keyboard, not the MK2 or A series.

Maybe it's something that will be implemented but just hasn't been activated as yet.

7. van Grieg

Let’s hope this is the case.

To me, the overlay is the best visual feedback method of all, I prefer it to the hardware screens of the S series, actually.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

I think given they are moving to allow third party control over KK reinstating the OSO has never been more essential.

9. Tony Jones

Tony Jones NI Product Owner

Forgive the newbie question - I'm not quite understanding the overlay idea, can someone point me at an example of what it could be?

10. van Grieg

When using Maschine Jam, while navigating sounds or adjusting controls, effects etc., you get an overlay on the computer screen that shows what you’re controlling and also displays context-sensitive options. The controls on this overlay are big, with big fonts, which makes them much more usable than the tiny screen on the Mikro or A series (in addition to giving you a bigger picture/overview of adjacent controls), and, IMO, more usable than tiny text on S series screens.

Here’s an example, at around 10:13 -

On this video in the beginning you can see how browsing plugins and sounds works with the overlay -

I was using a Jam and when I bought Mikro and A25 I kind of assumed they would have this as well. Unfortunately, this is not the case...

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Tony Jones

Tony Jones NI Product Owner

Many thanks, I see why people want it!

12. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

Makes me wish I could control KK with Maschine, I'd get a Jam for that

13. van Grieg

Right. I was kind of shocked to find out I couldn’t.

But then of course I found out that there’s no overlay even in Maschine with Mikro.

There’s no limit to ways in which NI can surprise you.

14. themixtape

themixtape NI Product Owner

This is absolutely needed for the A-series controllers (and the M32), browsing with the Komplete Kontrol plugin. Seriously. That screen is a bit small.

• Like Like x 1
  15. mattrixx

mattrixx NI Product Owner

This on screen overlay should definitely be included as an option in all Maschine and Komplete Kontrol products... to be honest, before getting the M32, I thought it was.
    Everyone needs to be on NI's case about it. Small screens are helpful, but it certainly takes some young keens eyes!!

• Like Like x 1
  16. louislingg

louislingg New Member

I absolutely agree. NI must be mad! Design something which works and is good and then.... disactivate it!

17. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

I agree. Having to pick up my magnifying glass to be able to read that tiny screen and actually touch each knob to know what they control or the current parameter value is not fun, an OSD would be really helpful.

Not to mention that the OSD is a lot more readable than even KK's software since it has bigger fonts and buttons.