1. IMPORTANT:
    We launched a new online community and this space is now closed. This community will be available as a read-only resources until further notice.
    JOIN US HERE

Solved A61 mod wheel sending midi when not being touched (KH1062-274)

Discussion in 'KOMPLETE KONTROL SERIES' started by decredis, Mar 29, 2019.

1. Graham Huber

Graham Huber New Member

I was experiencing MIDI send with the mod wheel untouched at 0 on an S49.

As it turned out, it was the Expression pedal! Check your pedals if you have them.

2. Chris-01

Chris-01 New Member

Thanks Graham,

I've unplugged my pedal, and still get erroneous mod wheel midi signals. However if I park the mod wheel at the top as suggested by Mykhailo VR I seem to be okay, so this will be my work around for now.

3. Vanishing Memory

Vanishing Memory New Member

I'm new to all this stuff. I just bought a Roland EV-5 pedal and find that my Komplete Kontrol M32 continues sending messages about the expression pedal for a minute or two intensely after removing my foot, only sometimes - it looks like it is trying to decide between two adjacent values. There will be a few blip every once in a while after, as well. This certainly causes a problem for Ableton Live when there are multiple tracks affected by that control. I am not requesting help from NI support at this time, since I'm on Apple Silicon, but I'm considering whether I might be able to write an app to provide an alternate, processed MIDI signal for this particular task. The end result would be similar to having the expression pedal or mod wheel or whatever CC you want appear as a separate device (or control surface?) in addition to the Kontrol. This virtual controller for this one parameter would reproduce all messages for mod or expression from the Kontrol except that it would filter them out whenever they are just bouncing between two adjacent values repeatedly - like "Stale Mate by repetition" in chess. I'm writing the app in Xcode on macOS. Please let me know any thoughts you might have on the feasibility of this and whether it makes sense. I thought I could put it for free on the App Store, if it works. I've never written a Mac app before (been busy writing network device drivers for embedded systems), so this is partly just for fun.

I figure the toggling between adjacent values could be the fault of a poor signal from the pedal, although the pedal is also powered by the keyboard, which is powered by the Mac, so there's plenty of places to look for a root cause - in the end it may be simplest to just filter on an algorithm such as I described. So NI, if you're listening and feel like just adding a radio button that does this, you have my enthusiastic blessing...

So far, the MIDI APIs on Mac are not the clearest. I have a choice of programming languages with different challenges ... so it's not trivial for me to create a MIDI app on macOS as my first macOS app despite how trivial the above algorithm might be, so I really don't know how long this might take in my spare time.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Stanislav Zalevskyi

Stanislav Zalevskyi Active Member

Finally! New firmware fixes the issue!!!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  5. kaotik78

kaotik78 NI Product Owner

So glad to hear that they finally "fixed" the issue. I'd say that's the longest development "sprint" I've ever come across, possibly having been brought to light in 2019 and now 2021 it's solved! Have to go get the firmware update and see for myself! Thanks for sharing Stanislav Zalevskyi !!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jeremy @ NI

Jeremy @ NI Support Team NI Team

7. Vanishing Memory

Vanishing Memory New Member

Just an update on the issue I mentioned. Confirmed the issue was also present on my Windows PC. I replaced the Roland EV-5, and that didn't fix it. M32 firmware updates didn't fix it. Sent the M32 in to support and got a replacement which had the same issue. Sold the M32 and bought another keyboard plus a standalone USB MIDI expression pedal adapter which works perfectly with this pedal - problem solved.