Ableton 10 is coming

Discussion in 'General Production Forum' started by Supercreative, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Supercreative

Supercreative NI Product Owner

• Like Like x 1
  2. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

• Like Like x 1
  3. Goon

Goon NI Product Owner

You are wrong, it is confirmed by Ableton early 2018....go check yourself.
    https://www.ableton.com/en/live/

Scroll to bottom......
    Live 10 will be available in early 2018.

4. loachm

loachm NI Product Owner

...the editing multiple midi clips at once is great, but everything else doesn't really excite me. I don't quite understand that Capture feature and it seems a bit gimmicky to me - it only captures the last bit one is playing? If so, I don't see any advantage over traditional recording while you're playing - that way I can use the good bits at the beginning, in the middle etc..

• Like Like x 1
  5. Goon

Goon NI Product Owner

Could be useful for adding that idea you 'forgot to hit record' moment. lol..

6. D-One

Really!?o_O
    Capture allows you "record" with no BPM, no metronome, overdub, and has auto clip length.... just this last one... look how much support it has in the suggestion section: https://www.native-instruments.com/forum/threads/auto-pattern-length.211686/ it has been suggested in 2013.
    If it does work like advertised I think it's amazing.

The controller shows visual feedback... compressors show gain reduction, synths, eq's display a real-time spectrum analyzer on the controller, etc... wile maschine... shows a huge thumbnail that wastes all screen space.... how is this not exciting? :eek:

Ableton actually contacted/employed a random dude that made a GUI makeover mockup and posted it online, which means they "listen".
    http://nenadmilosevic.co/ableton-live-redesign/

Then there is Note Chasing, notes trigger even if playback starts in the middle, so you don't need to start the clip from the beginning to hear a long pad, for example... that's pretty cool. Lots of other small workflow enchancements.

7. D-J-K

D-J-K NI Product Owner

Geist 2 has a similar option called Retro Record. I've used it a couple times and it can be very handy for improvising sounds or drum patterns. Great for grabbing those ideas that sound good when you're just playing around, but seem to suck when you try to record them. I think this will be a welcome addition to Live.

It isn't when you can pretty much do everything that Maschine can't do in Live... And with new features in 10 combined with the Push2, it will be a very powerful setup.

I'm excited about Live 10 and plan on upgrading. I'm glad Ableton didn't overhaul the UI or session/arrangement modes, and just added some nice accoutrements . NI dangled the Maschine MK3 in front of me and I'm glad I didn't bite. I have nothing against NI, and they make great hardware products, but its more and more apparent to me that their software development continues to fall behind its competitors.

8. ntula

ntula NI Product Owner

well, i am wrong... not sure why they are asking me to pre order with a tentative release date at least 2 months away for a download.. not like they are going to run out of stock of a download... do i get paid interest while they use my money for investment. LOL..

9. Goon

Goon NI Product Owner

lol...

10. loachm

loachm NI Product Owner

...I'm not against the general trend of really smart programmes, that do the most simple jobs, so that you don't have to wonder whether you have an imagination of what you're doing or not. But I have an opinion about that. I'm sure, the good folks at Ableton had good intentions to develop that feature. For some it'll be a godsend, for others it might be dumbing down things. I might not understand the feature entirely, but it just doesn't excite me. Like I said - I don't see any advantage over pressing the record button, play a bit until you're into a groove and then have a look afterwards, what's best. With things like midi stretching, which Live has since v.9, you didn't need a metronome either. And IF it's really just remembering that very last bit you were playing, it's actually inferior to recording, where you actually have captured the bits before that.

I don't have Push, but I have a large computer screen, that shows me such things without tilting my head and perhaps even squinting.

...so Live's browser isn't sh*t anymore? ;):D (And what about the number of automatable controls - now more than 128?)

But does it also trigger the middle of your instrument's modulators, that you can hear the actual pad sound at this position? I guess not. And if so, I'm not hearing, what I should. So I feel, we're already approaching gimmicky waters again with that feature - wow, I don't have to go the start of the note or section anymore - wohoo!

I'm not against Ableton & Live - I used to love the program, but that's how I see it now. So may I go back to being unimpressed again? :)

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  11. kb420

kb420 NI Product Owner

I don't use Live as much as I used to. I primarily use Maschine and Cubase, but I'll never completely give up Live or my Push 2. I can't wait for the actual release of Live 10.

12. D-One

Feel free, I not here to convince of anything although I feel you're missing the point on several topics. I have been trying to discuss less about opinions and focous more on helping people out around here anyway...

13. District Onagi

District Onagi NI Product Owner

I wonder if Maschine will get some inspiration from some of the new ideas and include them in their updates? I think NI has too much to chew on already as far behind as things are but it would be cool to see.

14. loachm

loachm NI Product Owner

I don't think the feeling is accurate and I think, I explained why. But you're right - it's better to focus on Maschine here. I also used to try to provide practical solutions around here, but people can be so opinionated at times.:)

15. CakeAlexS

CakeAlexS NI Product Owner

So is 10 a bitwig killer?

16. ntula

ntula NI Product Owner

i will probably order the box if they put the content on a hard drive or flash, though it says dvd.... and see if they offer a bundle with push ... live 9 suite is still fine so no rush...

17. mkotechno

mkotechno NI Product Owner

Still no ghost clips nor scene length in Live 10? Still forced to go to an arrangement view that is not controlled well with Push?

prrffff, I guess I will wait another fu••ing year until NI releases Maschine 3.0

• Like Like x 1
  18. Organik_Dream

Organik_Dream NI Product Owner

One thing I noticed about live 10 new additions lots of it is what the user base have been requesting ! If you go to every forum you see people are crying for groups inside groups .i have no use for it but it’s a reply from live to the community so you got to give them credit..another one you will see people been asking for renaming Routing IO etc that’s also been noticed and addressed ! They do listen to community and these are facts !

19. Pesict

Pesict NI Product Owner

Well I've spend a lot of money, thought Ableton would be a personal gamechanger, got me even a Push (yeah, the old one) and it was not. Still working with Maschine (even without all the cool features of a real DAW) and using ableton as it was my stepson...maybe Ableton 10 changes this. Maybe Maschine (and v3) gets better integration into Ableton 10. who knows....

20. loachm

loachm NI Product Owner

...I suppose, it's not an entirely serious question :), but to reply to it, I think, no.

To me the philosophy in Bitwig Studio seems to be, that you can control and modulate almost everything - up to a point, at which you can build impracticable constructs in my opinion. In certain areas Ableton seems to be doing the opposite with this release.

The Drum Buss seems to be a good example for that. It could be, that it is even just an Effect Rack internally (or has at least been developed on the basis of it and then hard-coded after the development phase). It seems to be a splitter with two or even more bands with different dynamic and other effects for each band (and probably some "master" effects after the bands). Some controls seem to be doing multiple things at once, they are macro controls (something like the "one-Knob-Fattener" :D). I'm quite certain, you might be able to build a similar Effect Rack with the stock plug-ins of Live 9 - with the possible benefit to be able to learn, what each thing does and to learn using it properly.

It's nothing wrong with these types of products, they have been and will be created all the time and to develop them is, in fact, not easy, i.e. to find the right balance between overely simplifying things and keeping useful & comprehensive, while providing an easy usability. There are just some things about this release, that make me be a bit critical at the moment and I'll see, how it'll turn out, once I can try Live 10.

Something like this Drum Buss is definitely useful for a certain producer crowd, but I can understand, if other people feel, that Ableton is narrowing or maybe even dumbing down certain things and focus their feature development for a specific target audience (e.g. composer/Youtuber Daniel James explained a few months ago, why he switched from Live to Cubase).