Ableton: "Corrupt" .wav file saved from Traktor

Discussion in 'Technical Issues (Archive)' started by completej, Sep 20, 2011.

1. completej

completej New Member

Traktor Pro 2.0.3 R10893
    Mac OS X 10.6.8
    Ableton 8.2.1
    Audacity 1.3.12

I cannot seem to get around this issue, even after reading the rather large amount of similar problems other Traktor users had.

I recorded a 4hr set via Traktor.
    Merged two .wav files in Audacity (as Traktor cuts it after ~2gb) and re-exported as .wav.
    Did not enter any additional metadata into the .wav.
    My attempt to load this .wav into Ableton:
    "File could not be read. It may be corrupt or not licensed."

Many, many posts on the internetz show that this is related to Traktor data being stored in the wav file.

Foobar2000 on OS X cannot remove this info.
    VLC cannot remove this info.
    iTunes cannot remove this info.
    Even re-saving from Audacity cannot fix this issue.

I imported the .wav into Traktor, then deleted from my library while selecting the option to remove Traktor data from the file. It gave a quick error that it could not write to the ID3 tag, and then was gone.

Still no luck. This file plays in iTunes, can be converted to 320 mp3, and played in an iPod as well as an HTC Evo.

It should not be this hard to move a .wav from Traktor into Ableton for final processing.

Anyone have any other ideas? Thanks for any support,

2. zephry

zephry NI Product Owner

maybe a dumb idea but did you try renaming it then importing?
    I had troubles with abelton and it playing mp3s I reinstalled Itunes and it worked Not sure why?

Not sure if my reply is any help.

3. completej

completej New Member

Name-changes do not solve this problem.
    Neither does attempting to import the compressed .mp3 into Ableton.

Thanks, though.

4. zephry

zephry NI Product Owner

How big is the file?
    Try making a smaller file just for test in traktor dont play it anywhere else dont export from audacity. Take straight from traktor to abelton.
    If the same error happens then it is mosdef traktor. If it happens after exporting/saving from audacity it is audacity.
    I could be wrong but I think audacity has some options for how it saves or converts files.
    I have had similar issues with images like jpegs
    looks like the same file type but the app. saved it with other attributes not available in the viewer i tried to use. Video also.

The reason I suggest this as a cause is you stated that after recording it was merged in audacity then exported/saved again. This would then be a different file from traktor.

Also I have never tried to use a huge file in abelton only the normal track size. If the file is 3hrs long or something maybe thats a problem.

Just suggestions I have nothing solid to put down here.

5. completej

completej New Member

That could actually be the solution.

I did a quick test of recording a single 320 out of traktor, and was immediately able to import into Ableton.

So possible default settings or "joining issues" when merging those two huge .wavs could be at fault? Unfortunately, I trashed the original .wavs so I can't go back and test them. Such is life.

Now I'm wondering if there is any way to "fix" a "corrupt" wav file that plays fine, compresses fine, and is recognized fine in other programs, or perhaps identify what info exists that shouldn't, or is missing and needs to be inserted.

Thanks for the suggestions.

6. malzfreund

malzfreund NI Product Owner

*sigh* evergreen. from wikipedia:
    thus, to be on the safe side, work with WAVs smaller than 2GB. in other words, you should not have made the first file (which you identified as ~2GB) larger than traktor cut it.

7. completej

completej New Member

Actual .wav filesize after merge: 2.28 GB, but thanks for the feedback. It appears I did something wrong during the merge.

8. malzfreund

malzfreund NI Product Owner

as my quote of wikipedia suggests, while 4gb is the theoretical max, some programs will have issues with sizes larger than 2GB. i suggest next time you merge wav files adding up to more than 2gb, save the resulting audio in a different format such as aiff or flac.