Ableton Live Automation -- How To?

Discussion in 'REAKTOR' started by chaircrusher2, Mar 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chaircrusher2

chaircrusher2 NI Product Owner

Ableton Live 7.0.14, Reaktor 5.15, Windows XP.

I was asked by a friend to trouble shoot how to do this and came upon a curious thing:

If I load Reaktor FX, and an effect ensemble from the Library -- specifically Flatblaster 2 -- I can select Reaktor FX as the destination in the Envelope controls, and select a Flatblaster Parameter by name, and then control it with a Live envelope.

If I load another effect -- specifically RE201 from the user library -- the only parameters I can select to automate with a Live envelope are volume and pitch.

So there's some magic secret handshake going on here and I can't figure out what it is. How do you expose parameters by name to a host application when you're running Reaktor as a VST effect plugin?

2. ew

ew Moderator Moderator

1) Make sure automation's enabled for that parameter (at the bottom of the last page of the properties for the knob/slider/what have you)
    2) with the instrument, make sure the max ID is greater than the max ID in use.
    3) with Live, you'll more than likely have to compress and sort IDs, and then move them up or down. Any version of Live up to the v8 beta will not recognize automation IDs higher than 128.

ew

3. sowari

sowari Moderator Moderator

thanks Eric... and i have had a look at RE-201. you need to do what Eric suggests.

1/ choose Instrument Up
    2/then Sort And compress IDs

sowari

4. chaircrusher2

Thanks to all y'all on this.

And I must say, I'd never tried that RE201, before, but I have a real spring reverb in my rack, and whoever programmed the spring in the RE201 sure knew what they were doing!

Except that the RE201 doesn't have a 60 Cycle Hum the way my rack unit does.

5. ew

ew Moderator Moderator

That could be arranged if you really miss it that much...

ew

6. chaircrusher2

Nah, I see 'lo fi' plugins all the time with an 'AC Mains Hum' option, and for the life of me, I can't imagine anyone seriously wanting that. I completely understand the urge to use Lo Fi as an effect, but 60hz hum is the last thing I'd ever add to a track. Before computers got smart enough for real-time audio, and I mastered to DAT, I wasted many an evening tracking down a hum in my studio. I'm not nostalgic for that at all!

Besides, I'm cracking open the spring reverb tonight and seeing if i can get rid of the hum. Sometimes, as the thing ages the reverb tank comes into contact with the case, and it induces a hum. The other problem might be old electrolytic caps gone bad. I'll have that thing silent or die trying!

7. JPaul23

JPaul23 NI Product Owner

Just a note, NI has added a video to their YouTube channel of Maschine controlling Ableton Live. Noticed a couple of Reaktor ensembles in the drop down menu of controller templates....Junatik and Go-Box....may be more...who knows....

8. ew

ew Moderator Moderator

Junatik and Scenario are the ones I have here; I seem to remember having a GoBox one somewhere.

The templates are easy enough to make; I should make some for my UL stuff.

ew

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.