Absynth not for beginners?

Discussion in 'ABSYNTH' started by Nero2, Apr 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nero2

Nero2 New Member

Hi all,

i want to create ambient synth sounds an music, but i never used an Synthesizer. If i look at the Absynth Screenshots i dont understand anything. It seems it is only for experts and not for beginners, is that correct?

Kind Regards
    Nero

2. Tarekith

Tarekith NI Product Owner

I wouldn't say it's not for beginners, not at all. In fact, I have to admit to being surprised that so many people have trouble with it, the layout is intuitive and and multiple pages certainly make it easier to use for me. If you're brand new to synths, I would recommend the series of articles on SoundonSound.com called "Synth Secrets". Start with the very first one, and you're sure to learn all you need to know to get started with synthesis. Even if you skip some of the maths or more complex articles, it's still a great series.

3. Nero2

Nero2 New Member

Thank you! I see that i have to read about some things before i can start.

4. Tarekith

You don't have to, but it will probably make things easier to have some background synthesis knowledge before hand.

5. Andrew Duke Cognition

Andrew Duke Cognition NI Product Owner

hint

A good thing to do starting out is to use the presets and then start changing them and see how your changes change the sound and learn tweaking that way. Most intuitive probably. Do what feels easiest to you and you'll enjoy learning. Andrew

6. ct43

ct43 Forum Member

I must admit, when I first *looked* at Absynth, I thought it would be complicated... but when I started using it, I found it was pretty straight forward to use. I cant see why Absynth would be harder to learn on than most, its just that it has a different layout to a lot of synths...

7. Tarekith

Exactly, at it's heart it's just another subtractive synth.

8. ew

ew Moderator Moderator

In fact, in a lot of ways Absynth could be considered easier to learn on because of the layout. Graphical representations of multipoint envelopes are much easier to visualize than a bunch of knobs turned to various positions, for eample.
    ew

9. tim_goodacre

tim_goodacre NI Product Owner

As with Ewistrand and others here - I actually find Absynth quite intuative compared to other synths and a good deal more flexible. For me the envelopes particularly work well with my visual way of thinking.
    T

10. Andrew Duke Cognition

Andrew Duke Cognition NI Product Owner

visuality of absynth

absolutely. i'm the kid that barely passed the classes with numbers (math, physics, chemistry, etc) in school, but was good in the arts, so to be able to work with the prominently-visual scheme of absynth works well for me. andrew

11. tubaman

tubaman NI Product Owner

I can appreciate the comment at the start of this thread, It is a bit intimidating at first. I think before anything, you need to go through a bunch of presets and just get a feel for the multitude of faces this synth has. Then, I would go back to "simpler" presets(stay away from the ones with rhythmic envelopes) and cjoose a simple sound with a simple envelope, like a flute or piano or simple lead sound. Then go page by page and play with the numbers to see their effect on the sound.

Looking at screen shots will do nothing but confuse you. Just get it. You will NOT regret the purchase.

12. Panopticon

Panopticon NI Product Owner

The only bad thing that will result from using Absynth as a newbie is that you'll get spoiled by the envelope structure. Absynth 1 was my first experience with synth programming, and I latched onto the envelope capabilities right away (which is really the coolest thing about absynth, IMO). Then I bought a Virus, and it was so much more work to get those massive, constantly evolving soundscapes or complex tribal rhythms.

13. stratakat

stratakat NI Product Owner

In the same light, I am fairly new to Soft synths, and bought Reaktor 4, and for 2 months have been doing my homework, so to speak...

Do I or should I, Will I, need Absynth, in conjuction with Reaktor? From reading the CSI article, etc. it seems you really need the complete Suite to be able to have endless Creative Tools... Then there's Kontakt, this also seems a tool not to be without?

Any thoughts? Please???

14. ct43

ct43 Forum Member

To be honest they are different animals really, I mean you could do some sounds on R4 that Absynth could do any viceversa, but they really are different..

Kontakt is totally different again as its more of a traditional sampler... personally if you where thinking of buying more than 1 or 2 NI products id probably go for the Komplete 2 pack... ive got that + Ohm Force FX & Sonalksis EQ and I dont really need any more software... then again ive made tracks using just Reaktor so... I dunno, only you will know what you need... though I think having endless creative tools is the worst thing you can do if you want to make music IMO

15. Acolmiztli

Acolmiztli NI Product Owner

We all have to start somewhere. Absynth is a better place than where most people my age started out - namely Fruityloops TS404, Rebirth, and a few sucky vsti's that Steinberg developed.

Absynth 3 is one of a new generation of synths that allow you to delve as deeply as you want, without requiring a phd.

Its really not that hard to grasp - You have your oscillators, and much like any other synth, your modulation sources. Once you understand the difference, its relatively easy to program some kick ass patches.

16. Acolmiztli

Acolmiztli NI Product Owner

Oh, and on the charge of needing Reaktor well.... I'd reccommend getting Absynth and leaving Reaktor for a while. Its a great program, but its good to learn something inside out before you try and use anything else.

Its completely possible to make entire tracks with just Absynth and a sequencer - you could even use it for reverb and delay effects as well as using the waveshaper for a bit of crunch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.