1. IMPORTANT:
    We launched a new online community and this space is now closed. This community will be available as a read-only resources until further notice.
    JOIN US HERE

Accessibility Improvements wishlist

Discussion in 'KOMPLETE KONTROL SERIES' started by Keir @ NI, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Keir @ NI

Keir @ NI Community, man NI Team

Hi everyone,

By request, if you actively use the accessibility features in Komplete Kontrol, here's the place to share your feature requests.

Best wishes from NI,
    Keir.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Tim @ NI

Tim @ NI Director | Music Production NI Team

Seconding Keir's message - welcome to the Accessibility Improvements wishlist thread! Thank you in advance for your support and guidance - we are looking forward to hearing your feedback.

Best wishes,
    Tim

• Like Like x 2
  3. Andre Louis

Andre Louis NI Product Owner

Greetings. Firstly, thank you very much for setting up this thread here. As one of the first accessibility users, I can safely say this software has changed my musical life for the better, and it continues to impress me on a daily basis.
    I just want to take this opportunity to thank those at NI who have spent countless hours bringing such innovative software to blind and visually impaired users. It really means a lot.

Thanks, from London.

• Like Like x 4
  4. robin24

robin24 New Member

Hello all,

I recently purchased the Komplete Kontrol S25 along with the Komplete 11 Select software suite. As a fully blind computer user, I am extremely excited about the wonderful accessibility features that have been added, so I'd like to thank all of you at NI for your truly amazing efforts!

So, In order to setup Komplete 11 Select on my Macbook Pro I have already downloaded and installed Native Access and have also logged into my account from there.
    However, I'd like to change the hard drive to which everything will be installed, as I would have to store all that on an external drive connected via Thunderbolt.
    Unfortunately, this part of the Native Access app seems to be inaccessible at this time. When I open the app, then select User Account -> Preferences -> File Locations, it seems like I cannot change anything using VoiceOver.
    All that I can access at this time is an unlabelled button, as well as a "Confirm" button. Both of these buttons seem to close the file location preferences, so it would appear that at this time there's no accessible way of choosing a different storage location.
    It would be really awesome if this could be fixed in a future update, so thank you very much in advance for taking this into consideration!

Best wishes and keep up the wonderful work! :)

Robin

• Like Like x 1
  5. Andre Louis

Hello Robin.
    I started a Native Access Issue thread which I hope others using VoiceOver can confirm.
    I'd be grateful if you'd perform the same tests I have, and post to that thread, if you have the time and if it's convenient to do so.
    Thanks for your time.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Victor Tsaran

Victor Tsaran New Member

Hi NI team.
    I would like to add my "thanks" to the team for creating this wonderfully-accessible solution for us. I've only spent a few days with the software and was quite amazed to realize just how many creative instruments we blind musicians have been missing for all these years.

This message is just to extend my sincere gratitude and ideas / requests are to follow soon!

Thanks again.
    Victor

• Like Like x 1
  7. Victor Tsaran

Victor Tsaran New Member

Hi.
    As promised, here is the first request.
    It would be great if accessibility messages on Mac OS X were output using NSAccessibility APIs rather than Speech Synthesizer Manager when VOiceOver screen reader is on. This would use the same speech settings that users have already configured, including voice, speech rate, pitch and anything else. This would also mean that speech messages would be displayed on a Braille display if the user has one.
    The amount of code is rather small. I have done something similar for the OSARA project to make Reaper accessible on the Mac. You can see the code on Github with this commit: https://github.com/nvaccess/osara/commit/41217836a50d1f9dff1d561d03ece4fb6bd793f8

Let me know if you have questions.
    Thanks for reading this.
    Victor

• Like Like x 1
  8. Victor Tsaran

Victor Tsaran New Member

Hi NI developers.
    Yet another request.
    The "installed" and "not installed" products views in the Native Access app have some serious accessibility issues.
    For example, it is impossible to view the list of installed products with VoiceOver. In a somewhat similar fashion, the list of "not installed" products is only partially seen by VoiceOver. For example, when I was installing Komplete 11 Ultimate, some of the synthesizers and plugins never showed up on the list and I only discovered them after performing the "install" procedure.
    While we are at the installation process accessibility, it is worth mentioning that progress bars are seen by VoiceOver but the numbers initially didn't really mean much to me. I assume, the progress was expressed in floating numbers, from 0 to 1, but it is probably not the most user-friendly way to present them. :)
    For example, some instrument would get stuck at 0.75, others at 1. I simply let the installation process finish, but it was rather stressful not knowing when it was actually complete.
    In summary, it would be great to be able to
    1. View all installed products.
    2. View the products that have not been installed.
    3. Accurately monitor the progress of installation.
    4. Selectively uninstalled products.

Thanks for reading this.
    Victor

• Like Like x 1
  9. Victor Tsaran

Victor Tsaran New Member

Making rotary knobs on S-Kontrol controllers easier to use.
    Given that the 8 rotary knobs on the S-Kontrol controllers spin indefinitely, it is not difficult to miss a setting or an instrument while using browsing functions or flipping through parameters. Similarly, it is not always clear when the beginning or the end of the knob's range is reached.
    It seems that the problem could be easily solved by introducing two short sounds
    1. a click that will be played every time a setting is switched with the knob.
    2. A somewhat fatter sound when the user reaches the beginning or the end of the range as supported by the knob.

What do others think of this idea?

• Like Like x 1
  10. chad baker

chad baker New Member

Hi i would like to see komplete kontrol app be accessible on the mac, and if not make the preferences dialogue accessible, adding libraries and scanning

• Like Like x 1
  11. Tim @ NI

Tim @ NI Director | Music Production NI Team

Hi Everyone

I wanted to thank you all for joining the forum and for your feedback so far! It is really fantastic to get your input on the accessibility features - this feeds directly into the prioritisation of our backlog and helps us to determine which area to focus on next.

Please keep the input coming and thanks again!

Best,
    Tim

• Like Like x 1
  12. chad baker

chad baker New Member

Hi i own the komplete kontrol-s 25 and komplete 11 select.
    I would like to than you guys for making it accessible.
    A couple requests i would like to see are as follows:
    1. In native access i want the ability to add third pardy libraries
    Cause currently if you add a library it shows registered on the NI site but it times out after 15minutes
    2. In komplete kontrol i would like to see access to the preferences dialogue
    Cause now its totally inaccessible.
    3. In native access can't see download progress on the mac.
    Also if i click not installed, and pick a update it downloads something else in the list
    I'm guessing voiceover is losing focus on the item.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Noel ROmey

Noel ROmey New Member

Tim et al,

I am overy surprised at Native Instruments commitment to accessibility in working with the s series keyboards. That is why I invested in the products as I have been looking for a keyboard that I can use that will let me work with synths and soft instruments. This has not, been as of yet, available to blind and visually impaired musicians.

I tis my hoep that NI continues to strive ro accessibility in the future; mainly in working with importing third party libraries and working within preferences in Native Access. I am a new user in the application and ecosystem, but from what I understnad, Native Access's accessibility has taken a step backwards in this regard from "not very accessible" to "hardly accessible". I appreciate that my keyboard will remain accessible and that I will be able to continue to make music, but it would be great if I could, independently, access preferences, import libraries, and generally move around Native Access just like other sighted NI customers can.

Accessibility has to be a commitment and a culture in a company, and in NI's corporate structure, I know it might be challenging to keep it going, but I hope that the few of us who use your products and whose lives your products have helped change for the better will help you do the right thing and keep accessibility moving in the right direction. Thanks for your time.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Sean A. Cummins

Sean A. Cummins New Member

• Like Like x 1
  15. Kara Goldfinch

Kara Goldfinch New Member

First, I'd like to thank you for making KK accessible. I can't begin to say how much this has changed my music making for the better.

Second, here's my suggestions.
    This has probably already been pointed out, but their seems to be some strange omissions in what controls are mapped in each instruments. E.G. In Una Corda, you can select the style type, but not the different styles in that type. but in the space module, mappings are provided for both type and impulse.
    More bizarrely, Battery has no controls mapped at all.

the naming of controls needs to be improved. E.G. Rather than just saying "on, off", inform the user what that control is turning on or off.
    When a control steps through a list of options such as reverb types, it should announce the type currently selected. You wouldn't want every control to behave in this fashion though as it would be distracting to hear tts trying to read something like the cutoff value when doing a filter sweep.

Again, thanks again for the amazing work you have done, it just needs tweaking.

16. blindcanadian25

blindcanadian25 New Member

Hello there.

As a new member to the NI community, I'd like to extend my own thanks as well... I have only recently purchased Kontakt 5 and am looking into a Komplete Kontrol S series soon, but this has me more than excited to get started! My one request would be some accesibility improvements to the interface for Native Access on the Windows front, as right now it's impossible to do anything without assistance from someone who can see. Screenreaders and Native Access aren't cooperative as of right now, and it'd be great to see some improvement in that area, or at least an alternative way to download and install products. Thanks for the amazing step forward in production software accessibility and the open invitation for feedback!

17. Victor Tsaran

Victor Tsaran New Member

Hi Tim / Kir / other NI members.
    Are there any plans to improve a somewhat accessible interface of the Native Access application? We still have a few pending issues such as "file location" dialog as well as the main screen for checking installed and updated products?
    Several of us also mentioned other improvements to the accessibility features available through the hardware controller itself.

Please chime in with whatever you can share.

Thanks as always.
    Victor

18. Richard Emling

Richard Emling NI Product Owner

Hello Folks,

1st, You did a very great job so far regarding accessibility. Here are some of my wishes for future updates:

- Please give us more spoken feedback, when adjusting parameters by turning thair respective knob.
    - Make the GUI of instruments accessible for screen Reader usage.
    - Implement spoken feedback, when a instrument has finished loading into ram or give an audio signal representing the percentage of load process.

All the best from here

Richard

19. cmcbrair

cmcbrair New Member

Has anyone brought up the idea of implementing a way to control volume from the komplete kontrol?

It would be a nice feature to be able to quickly adjust volume while working between different sounds.

I feel like it would be incredibly easy to implement.

Thoughts?

• Like Like x 1
  20. Andre Louis

Hi. Have you tried shift + the large, detented knob? This already does change the volume for sounds running within Komplete, and is also announced by speech output as you make changes.
    Thanks.

• Like Like x 2