1. Hi everyone,

This forum is now closed for posting! If you require technical support from NI or have a questions about activating your product, please head over to our new Support Community!

NATIVE INSTRUMENT SUPPORT COMMUNITY

The Support Community is the new location where you can expect to receive assistance and feedback on technical support, sales or installation issues from our Support Agents and other users.

Please also note, questions about the status of an order should always be directly sent to our Order Support team HERE.

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

2. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Activation problems with latest Kontakt/Reaktor/GR/B4/AP updates

Discussion in 'Product Installation and Activation (Archive)' started by Marius @ NI, Dec 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marius @ NI

Marius @ NI NI Team NI Team Moderator

Hi all,

due to a very high number of product activations, our registration support is currently overloaded. On behalf of the entire team, I would like to apologize to anybody who experiences significant waiting times for email requests or phone calls to our support staff.

We are currently expanding our support teams in the LA and Berlin offices in order to provide much faster response times in the near future.

Below you will find the solution to two problems under Mac OS X that are among the most common in connection with the latest updates. Please follow these advices closely in order to solve these issues.

Problem 1
    ----------
    Product is activated (green) when you start the Service Center and it remains green after the activation. However, the Product still starts in demo mode.

Solution
    --------

1. delete the files named "Kontakt 2.plist" files (or com.native-instruments.Guitar Rig2.plist or com.native-instruments.Reaktor 5.plist) found here:

root(the OS X volume uppmost level) /library/preferences

and here:

root(the OS X volume uppmost level) /users/<your username>/library/preferences

2. then run the installation from the original Kontakt 2/Guitar Rig2/Reaktor 5 installer disc again. If you install the application as part of a Komplete bundle, use the Komplete installer disc to install.

If installing via your Komplete installer.:

- Always use the newest Komplete installer disc you have to install! Example: If you own Komplete 4 as an update from an earlier Komplete version (e.g. Komplete 4 update from Komplete 3) please be sure to run the installer from your Komplete 4 package. Similar if you would own Komplete 3 update from Komplete 2: use the installer from your Komplete 3 package.

- Please use the correct Komplete serial for this installation! In other words, be sure not to enter e.g. your Komplete 3 serial by mistake when running the Komplete 4 installer.

- In the installer, choose custom install and check only the application(s) you need to be installed.

3. After running that installation, run the Kontakt 2.2.0 /Guitar Rig 2.2.0/Reaktor 5.1.2 update installer in "easy" install mode. After this installation is finished, start the Service Center and perform the authorization.

4. When done, start the standalone version of Kontakt 2/Guitar Rig 2/Reaktor 5 to check that authorization has taken place and the application starts up in authorized mode.

5. If the application still starts up in unauthorized mode, repeatedly run the Kontakt 2.2.0 /Guitar Rig 2.2.0/Reaktor 5.1.2 update installer, but this time choose "custom" install mode instead of "Easy" install mode and only check "Basic installation". Then install.

6. When done, start the NI Service Center and authorize again.

7. Next start the standalone version of your product. It should come up in authorized mode now.

Problem 2
    ----------

Product is not activated (red) when you start the Service Center and it becomes green after the activation. However, the Product still starts in demo mode, and it is red again when you restart SC.

Solution
    --------

access permissins may be responsible for this error

How to fix access permissions of the preferences-file (".plist"-file)

1. Quitt Service Center if it is running.

2. To change the permssions of the preference (plist) file, locate it in the Finder:

The plist file can be found under the following location:

root(the OS X volume upmost level)/library/preferences

The plist file has the following name and format:
    com.native-instruments.[product name].plist
    for Kontakt 2 it is just
    Kontakt 2.plist

4. Select the file and press apple-I to get info.

5. Expand the triangle where you see ownership and permissions.

6. Expand the triangle where you see the Details.

7. Click on the lock symbol to open it, so you can make changes

8. Set "Owner" to <your username>, set permissions of the owner to read and write. Your admin password will be requested for this action.

9. Set "Group" to "admin", set permissions of group to read and write.

10. Set others to read.

11. Click on the lock symbol to close the lock again. Close the info window.

12. Start Service Center and perform the authorization. After authorization is complete, quitt Service Center.

13. Next start the standalone version of the product, which should come up in authorized mode now.

2. Jovica Storer

Jovica Storer NI Product Owner

What do I do on a windows XP pro SP2 system?

3. Marius @ NI

Marius @ NI NI Team NI Team Moderator

Hello Jovica,

we have seen these problems mostly on Mac, but you might want to try the following on PC:

Problem 1
    ----------

Product is activated (green) when you start the Service Center and it remains green after the activation. However, the Product still starts in demo mode.

Possible solution
    ----------------

Close Service Center.

Repeat the installation of the latest update and deselect all installation options except for e.g. "Kontakt 2 Standalone application".

Restart Service Center and re-activate the product.

Problem 2
    ----------

Product is not activated (red) when you start the Service Center and it becomes green after the activation. However, the Product still starts in demo mode, and it is red again when you restart SC.

Possible solution
    ----------------

This might have to do with missing write permission to the Windows registry. Make sure that you have admin status when you log in to Windows or create a new user with admin permissions under which you install the updates.

4. Jovica Storer

My problem is different from problem 1 and 2. When I start control center, some programs, e.g. Massive, Reaktor 5, Absynth 4, or another one, is marked in red. When I try to activate them using the offline mode, other programs, e.g. Guitar Rig 2, Battery 3 become red while others become green and others stay red. Being red or green in the control center appears to have absolutely no releation with starting up in demo mode or not... it is all very confusing and after more than 50 activations I give up. Furthermore, when I start up for instance Reaktor 5, it might ask for activation. Five minutes later Reaktor could run, but it could also not run. I think some shifting with the activated programs takes place but I am not sure. I consider all of NI new updates unusable due to this instability of the activation. Please help!

5. Jovica Storer

By the way, I am the only user on my system and I am an administrator.

6. PhoenixGTR

PhoenixGTR NI Product Owner

Neither of those Windows scenarios apply to me either.
    In my case, the product showed red in SC both before and after "activation"; that is, SC declares "product activation successful" but it isn't--still shows red, and starts as demo.
    On my laptop, this was solved by Registration Support reading me my proper serial number for the update (Kontakt 2.2, in this case), and inputting it into SC--however, after having to tinker with some of my other synths, my Kontakt 2.2 once again showed as not activated.
    I am also the only user on both systems and an administrator.
    I know NI is trying, but after long waits for reg support on the phone (some days not being able to get through at all) and then being asked by support "you're on a PC, why did you even install this update?" I've given up on updates unless I run into issues with the product or the update has something else I really need--at least until some of these SC issues are fixed, at which time it will hopefully be easier to get through.
    If one could access all one's current info on the Manage Registrations page --like S/Ns and activation codes for the individual products contained in K4--it would cut down on the need to contact support for some of us. Would NI consider this?
    In the meantime what I'd like to see is information on just how much each update matters to users of different kinds of computers--as is, it's often hard to tell to whom the bugfixes apply or if one even needs the update, unless one has an IntelMac.

7. Jovica Storer

I do experience the problems of PhoenixGTR as well as mine... please help!

8. tim_goodacre

tim_goodacre NI Product Owner

I'm in the same boat. I've applied a whole bunch of patches for K4 on XP. Those products mentioned have unregistered themselves.

I'm trying to re-import the authorisation. The machine is offline. Anyone know how to re-aquire the .NAF file? Silly me didn't put it somewhere safe, but it's always been possible in the past to pull down authorisation files in the past (no longer the case - I can only deactivate an authorisation from here), or just read the activation code from the clipboard. Doesn't seem possible now in new Service Centre. Not a happy Christmas :(

9. tim_goodacre

tim_goodacre NI Product Owner

Well I got it all working again but had to go through the entire offline-reg process again. I hope this wont happen on every update. At the very least it should be a lot easier to get the .naf file (download from support pages, and return to emailing them out for offline reg).

10. PhoenixGTR

PhoenixGTR NI Product Owner

That's all very well if the .naf file does what it should. But I went through a few .naf file imports which did not activate my products, although SC declared "Product Activation Successful". The only thing that did it was calling support and getting them to read me my correct update S/N, which is why I think that all S/Ns should be available on the manage reg page, not just the bundle one.

11. karmacomposer

karmacomposer NI Product Owner

HELP!!!!!!

I updated Komplete 3 and 4 programs and now Akoustik Piano and Kontakt 2 will not run. Battery NEVER ran.

They don't crash, they just never run at all.

I am running a PC with windows 2000

Akoustic Piano and Kontakt 2 ran fine before the updates.

I ran NI service center many times and it says all is good and activated.

Please help. I have work to do!!!!

I put in a support ticket, but I need help now, not two weeks from now!!!

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help me.

Mike

12. Jovica Storer

Mike, if you need urgent support I suggest you try to contact them by phone (+49.30.61 10 35-1400).
    I succeeded into contacting them today and see finally some light at the end of tunnel. I appears the problem is caused by my SCSI system hard disk (C:) that has no serial number, which is used by the control center to activate my software. Development is currently working on a solution for this and support will inform me tomorrow about the state of affairs.

13. karmacomposer

I called USA support and am on hold.

Mike

14. Jovica Storer

Mike +1.323.467 2693 is the technical support number in the US.

15. karmacomposer

I talked with a gentleman over at NI support USA and he was very nice and tried to help.

However, we got nowhere.

I was able to somehow make Kontakt 2 work, but Akoustic Piano and Battery 3 continue to simply not even load.

Mike

16. Outline

Outline NI Product Owner

Of course, when reinstalling, it installed Reaktor IN THE WRONG PLACE just like the whole of Komplete 4 when it was first installed. This time I even took a screenshot of the "folder called Komplete 4 will be created" screen to prove to myself that I wasn't imagining it.

Do NI *EVER* test-run these installers before sending them out?

17. karmacomposer

So where would the 'right' place to install it (AP) be?

I answered default to everyone except the sample data location - which has to be on an external drive meant for my sample library.

Mike

18. Outline

Outline NI Product Owner

Mike:

The 'right' place is where I tell it! I have tried installing on 2 different computers. It says "a new folder called KOMPLETE 4 will be created in the folder APPLICATIONS". On one computer it just puts everything in Applications without making a new folder, on the other it just randomly sprays installations around my root directory! It's made a complete mess of my nicely organised drive.

Anyway, i've done the complete reinstall and it did no good. I started with Komplete 2 a few years ago and have had major problems with *every* *single* significant update. The same goes for everyone else I know in the business who uses NI.

19. karmacomposer

I had no problems with Komplete 3 on a computer ATTACHED TO THE INTERNET.

However, The Komplete 3 install was quirky at best as far as authorizing OFFLINE, which I have to do now.

The Komplete 4 upgrade has been almost nightmarish. Battery 3 doesn't work at all. Akoustik Piano worked until I updated it. Now it also does not load (like Battery 3). Kontakt 2 refused to work until I solved that problem!

I called tech support and they could not help me, citing I needed Windows XP (I am running Windows 2000) and use the NI Service Center tool repeatedly until it magically "works".

Nice.

Mike

20. DonDuche

DonDuche NI Product Owner

Tried all this with no success

I tried all of Marius' solutions because Reaktor only starts in Demo-Mode after installing the update. But none of these worked. All in all I just wasted another hour of my lifetime just because someone whom I paid for his software insists on this kind of copy protection chicane. Why on earth does this f-u-c-k-i-n-g stupid system need re-activation after every single little update of every single program from Komplete??? It feels like the manufacturer can't believe it is still me, and it is still the correct serial number and activation and it is still stupid me who has bought it and who just wants to produce music and not study the inner life of programmers' logic...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.