Adjust start and end points of a loop

Discussion in 'KONTROL F1' started by coongaman, Jun 10, 2012.

1. coongaman

coongaman NI Product Owner

I got some samples that was not cut in loop.
    I know about the nudge and offset functions, but is it possible to adjust the start and end points of a loop?

I know you can drag from the browser into Wavelab for editing. Then save the edited file with another name and reload the folder. But it would be great being able to do that in Traktor.

2. zephry

zephry NI Product Owner

I have not used wavelab.
    But I know with abelton you can cut a loop exactly how you want it. Then change the beat grid to be correct.
    with traktor if you set your in and out on a loop where you want it(easy to do with the s4) you wont have your beat grid lined up correctly. So if there is an audible beat in the sample being used it will be off.

If all you are grabbing is a beat its no big deal. but for vocals it will of course be cut in and out to a set beat(thus the editing of a beat grid in a program like abelton).

I have noticed with a sample set to oneshot you can adjust the offset somewhat to start and it will be triggered at that spot. no end spot though. for loops it will start at the offset adjust but still play the whole loop(of course). The oneshot offset adjust is cool though. And even with a loop if not in punchmode. The offset allows you to trigger where you want.
    ---
    Maybe Traktor should release a simple grid editing application?

3. an3

an3 Forum Member

..we need loop in and out points

4. zephry

zephry NI Product Owner

There are loop in and outs. You can put them anywhere if sync is off. The problem is the grid will be off when used as a sample. If synced.

5. an3

an3 Forum Member

.. well . in the remix decks it starts at a different point (thru offset or nudge) but it still loops from the beginning

am i missing something here?

6. psynapse

psynapse Forum Member

The command to change loop start and end points you'd usually map to control a track deck can be applied to remix decks also.

7. bi!LY eagle

bi!LY eagle Forum Member

Also, if you have Snap enabled, the start/stop points of a loop will be locked to the beat-grid no matter what, whereas if it's off you're free to set your own points.

8. an3

an3 Forum Member

sorry to make things clear. u are talking about the loop in and out in the decks or the adjustments u can make with nudge and offset in for seperate loops in the remixdecks.

9. zephry

zephry NI Product Owner

@an3

Talking about both.
    Its kind of a combination of things. Really the F1 does not fine tune the loops as well as you can with the rest of the software and annother midi controller.

This thread kind of switched to a discussion on how to make a perfect loop.

There are limitations when using sync and snap. And the F1 wworks best when using sync. To grab loops that are beats (no vocal) it is not a big deal.
    Also to get just vocal and turn off sync on that sample no big deal.

Its the quick grabbing of a loop that has beats and vocal and trying to get the vocal you want to be correct. Which is limited to beatgrid. Beatgrid is limited to sync.
    Oh yeah just beatmatch it. Nope. That wont work for remix decks. You need all samples synced to have your way with them.

So for perfect samples from tracks you will need to do some editing outside of Traktor.

Save the loop how you want then use abelton to fix it. Then use properly. Otherwise use beats or plain vocal. At least that is the only way I have found.

There really isnt a way around sync with the remix decks.

10. an3

an3 Forum Member

.. yes tnX i know this. so im kind off disapointed..because the offset point u change is only for the start of the sample when u trigger it. not for the loop. it takes the start point of the loop from the beginning of the loop

11. zephry

zephry NI Product Owner

Here is something I tried. works ok. but not looped of course.

Move offset where you want
    change to oneshot
    change size to shorten/edit end
    use nudge if needed
    trigger as you want in time with set

But really that is just a bit much.
    Still say buy or make good samples that work. otherwise stick to beat only or vocaly/instrumental only.