1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

Advice storing Sound Libraries

Discussion in 'Computer Technology and Setup' started by Louis~, Nov 24, 2019.

1. Louis~

Louis~ NI Product Owner

Hello All, I need some advice that I am not up to snuff on and would be thankful for any replies..
    I'm on an older iMac (2.8 GHz Intel Core i7) that will be replaced when I'm sure of what to get. That being said my iMac has a new internal 1TB SSD just installed. I am using this as my main drive. I also have an internal 2TB HD (7200 rpm) which is about to be erased and reformatted. Should I place all of my heavy sound libraries on the HD? I know I will be saving disk space on the SSD but will this have any benefit of reading/writing? Or would this be a waste of time?? My thoughts would be to leave all on the SSD because it will read/write faster, but that is just my thought.. Knowledgeable replies appreciated. (The SSD is half empty) Thanks.

2. Midi Charles

Midi Charles New Member

You should have your libraries on SSD, as well as a backup. Access will be considerably faster on SSD as opposed to older 7200rpm movable drives. Other factors will come into play here also but start with the basics, SSD.

Although considered a bit extreme, I also have my libraries on DVD backed up. Don't forget to make partitions for each library. Don't overload the drive/s. Keep a nice buffer, around 25% if possible. (May not be necessary today, unsure)

3. Louis~

Louis~ NI Product Owner

Thank you for the info. Currently my SSD has my Mac OS, programs and Sound library‘s. I’m not quite sure what you mean by separate partitions for each library? Currently they are in their respective default folders.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
  4. Midi Charles

Midi Charles New Member

Sorry, I meant library types, not each library. I'm old school and having partition/s may not be necessary anymore, especially with SSD's, although I do. Depends on how large the libraries are and how many but, I keep my 2 main orchestral libraries on one drive. I have another SSD for other libraries such as Omnisphere and older small libraries. This drive I partition. Up to you and again, as I've been googling this subject, looks like it's not really necessary today to partition with SSD.

5. Louis~

Louis~ NI Product Owner

Thank you, I appreciate your thoughts. I now have an internal 2 TB drive that’s just going to be sitting there. I mainly use Ableton and Logic. They have pretty big library’s along with Omnisphere and Komplete. So, finally, if I purchase a new machine with a flash drive, I should still use an external flash drive for my library’s?