After seven years of waiting, a (partial) bug fix!

Discussion in 'FM8' started by nylo, Nov 21, 2014.

1. nylo

nylo New Member

FM7 had an excellent microtuning implementation but in FM8 it was partly broken. Two bugs were introduced in 2007:
    1. User scales cannot be named (text can't be typed in the text box). This is NI bug number FM8-701 ("Cannot rename user scales").

This has been fixed in v. 1.3 ! Scales can now be named.

However, the more serious problem is still there.
    2. While FM 8 can be re-tuned by importing a MTS message saved as SySex file, it still doesn't read MTS (Midi Tuning Standard) messages in real-time. FM 7 did, and FM 8 is supposed to, although I suspect this will never happen, even though NI technicians have also given this bug a number: it's FM8-862 ("FM8 doesn't read MTS").

n

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  2. musos

musos NI Product Owner

I think it would be nothing short of a miracle if NI actually fixed FM8 bugs.

You can expect lots more sound packs to buy for NI's newer products but don't expect many (or any) FM8 updates in the future.

I refuse to spend another cent on NI products, given the poor support of existing users and owners of "old" products such as FM8.

• Like Like x 1
  3. musos

musos NI Product Owner

I see today (27 Nov 2014) that NI updated:
    Kontakt
    Maschine
    Abbey Road Drummer
    Studio Drummer
    Scarbee Rickenbacker
    Alicia Keyes
    The Gentleman
    The Grandeur
    The Maverick
    Reaktor Prism
    Reaktor Spark
    Razor
    Skanner XT
    Monark

Anyone see FM8 in that long list?
    No….?

Don't hold your breath.

4. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Moderator Moderator

Some of those updates are several weeks old. Last update to FM8 was 1.3.1, also several weeks ago.

5. BiCho_Tf

BiCho_Tf NI Product Owner

I only see FM8 1.3.0 from October 21st, both on the site and in my computer, ain't it?

6. EvilDragon

Ah, correct ,1.3.0 it was.

7. musos

musos NI Product Owner

FM8 v1.3.0 was released in October 2013 - hardly recent.

8. nylo

nylo New Member

Oh, and so it was. And saving user scales turned out to be unreliable as well: even the partial bug fix mentioned above was only partially done. Too bad. FM7 was fine, then they introduced bugs in FM8, and won't fix them even after promising time after time. Hope the title I gave to this thread is read as sarcasm; I originally meant that there are finally some good news but I should have known better: it's NI, after all.

9. EvilDragon

Naming user scales does work over here. 1.3.2, latest version.