Akai Force!!!

Discussion in 'General Production Forum' started by Hit-Man, Jan 17, 2019.

1. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Okkkeyyyy So... Force can export full projects to Ableton Format. :eek:
    I wasn't expecting that.... and this alone makes me a lot more interested...
    @ the 9min mark

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

Woowww this is amazing

3. omegatron

omegatron NI Product Owner

Inter dimensional hype engine engaged:p

• Like Like x 2
  4. D-One

IKR!? If its just bounced audio in those clips then I am not interested but if that's MIDI and it somehow auto routes everything I'm saving up my $$$

• Like Like x 1
  5. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

Oh yes of course I first thought that it is maybe ableton under the hood in some way - but that makes no sense then they need to have vst versions of the synthengines and so on. So I guess it's just a clip export and that I can also do with maschine.

Uwe

6. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

So with the 4 synth engines it could work to export midi cause they are from air and they then only need a vst version - that would be crazy.

Uwe

7. D-One

I was kind of dreaming one could export to Ableton format, open the project, connect the Force to a computer and sequence/arrange from Ableton, or from a plugin version of the Force software, might be dreaming too high tho.

8. lwj|localspace

lwj|localspace NI Product Owner

I don't know... when he exports, one of the options says something like 'bounce MIDI'.. might be if you leave that off, it exports MIDI.
    It should be possible to set it up so it sends samples to the Ableton drum racks, with the settings, MIDI notes and automation. That can all translate pretty easily, you'd think (I'm not a programmer). You could probably just reverse engineer an Ableton project to get all that information.

If it just renders clips into Ableton that hardly seems like feature to make big fuss about. If it can spit out a proper project file, that is cool.. especially if you're selling this on the basis of portability and the promise being able to use it with Ableton later on.

• Like Like x 1
  9. D-One

Yeah, exactly! That's why I am bit surprised and confused.... if that is just plain MIDI that doesn't have the original instrument it wouldn't make much sense unless the instruments have a VST version like Uwe303 said. If it's full-on AL racks and Force has compatible settings with it then it's amazing, that would mean a collab between Ableton and a standalone which sounds a bit too good to be true but if that's the case I am interested... (Even tho I have absolutely zero interest stand-alone units since I went to a lot of trouble to build my desktop, buying something else with a computer inside kills my soul)
    I always dreamed that a modern drum maSchine would collab directly with a DAW to have the best of both worlds.

Yep. Personally, I am not a fan of bouncing audio before the arrangement so if all it does is auto export and set loops as clips it's hype-over for me, it does save some time and I imagine myself using it but its far from revolutionary.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  10. AureVoir

AureVoir NI Product Owner

just look at the similarities for Maschine and BitWig. the GUI is vey similar and probably operate about the same.

This all day! if the studio mkII allowed the use of the komplete VSTs as a standalone device, i would excuse the lack of a DAW if it ran the latest, or even a modified version of Maschine 1 .

• Like Like x 1
  11. Slappz

Slappz NI Product Owner

Then I would say BitWig would be a good choice over Tracktion. It's just that Tracktion has the slimmed down engine with a commercial license ready to negotiate, and following/copying BitWig I feel doesn't make you a leader. Using Tracktion as your DAW engine and supporting open-source does! In one quick move you pick up an existing userbase, and at the same time give your userbase a solid platform to begin with.

I'm sure anything NI developers create will be the bomb, but it will also be something that hasn't had years of testing, and we already know what that's going to be like from NI. That's not leading, but catching up. They only have one chance to get this right, before they are left in the dust by the likes of Ableton and PreSonus. Heck even Novation will probably come out spanking Ni if they don't rise up soon.

12. mezzurias

mezzurias NI Product Owner

2t3vxo.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  13. Slappz

Slappz NI Product Owner

mezzurias , yeah I'm not so sure it made sense in the first place, so thanks for the friendly reminder. I've since moved on to another platform, so I could really care less what they do now.

14. mezzurias

One thing I do have to point out is that the MPC/Force software is written in JUCE which is the framework that Tracktion/Waveform is running on top of. So in that respect Akai beat NI to it? LOL.

15. D-One

What's the advantage of that over whatever framework NI is currently using for the end user customers?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Slappz

Slappz NI Product Owner

Which is what the framework I'm using is based off. It looks like I'll have to start hanging out more in that neck of the woods. I see some nice NI based plugins coming out, but I don't do closed proprietary systems, although I do love what Live is doing with Max.

I'm happy as long as Maschine can run the plugins I develop and also support OSC.

17. mezzurias

It's cross platform with Linux, MacOS, and Windows support (including ARM support) it also has mobile support. Has AAX, AU, AU3, VST, VST3, support built in. Has OpenGl and graphics api built in for fancy effects in UI's etc.

I don't know anything about what NI's framework does but I know there are a couple of thing son that list that they don't do. So...yeah.

BTW, what is NI going to do now that VST2 is going to get dropped from Cubase and even Ableton now has VST3 support. They've been promising VST3 support for at least 5 years at this point with nothing to show for it.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  18. D-One

I know nothing about their framework coding mambo jumbo either so I can't make any valid informed comment on it.

Sorry but VST2 is not getting dropped anytime soon, Steinberg just announced that the "v2 SDK will no longer be maintained and will only be available as a subset of the v3" and even that is 5 years away, half a decade is a long time. Remember how long it took for 32bit to get killed off and to this day there are still people using it. This has been heavily discussed.

They have been promising VST3? Who NI? Where?
    It took Ableton 18 years of evolution and 10 major versions to add VST3, Maschine is still a baby compared to Live.

19. mezzurias

On this very forum. NI said that the platform team was working on VST3 support way back when. You are a moderator I'm sure you can look it up.

It's matter of time before VST2 gets dropped. All major DAWs support VST2/AU3 at this point. Even JUCE no longer includes the VST2 headers.

20. D-One

I have no better tools for searching for posts than you do. I have never seen NI stating anything about adding VST3 or anyone else saying they did that's why I asked, I am pretty active and pay attention to that sort of thing, I doubt I would have missed unless it was before 'my time' but I could have. Personally, I don't care about VST3 in Maschine to look up a quote that might not exist.

Yeah, you're right, that is indeed a fact.
    How far away is it from being dropped is uncertain tho, I don't disagree I just don't look at it as something alarming or imminent, developers themselves complain a lot... I mean a lot about how VST3 works.
    Music related SW/HW has a really hard time dropping support for things and moving on. MIDI 2.0 was announced too after 35 years of 1.0, even though it's backward compatible let's see how long it takes until that becomes standard.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019