Akai is beating Maschine

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Majestic Dakim, Nov 11, 2018.

1. Majestic Dakim

Majestic Dakim NI Product Owner

Peace, Maschine fam. Recently I bought an MPC Studio Black, and, even though the learning curve was slightly steep, I got used to the workflow and am loving it (but I'm still IN LOVE with Maschine). Now, after getting comfortable with both workflows, I have come to realize that when I'm in Maschine, I find myself wanting to extract from samples, to make new samples, something that made it easier for me to understand sampling in the MPC. I know that each one has their own way of getting the job done, but, damn NI, this is a simple feature that you could implement. Example: In Maschine, load the whole sample (to a pad, mind you!), go through it, look for parts, but it's only by way of Duplication, then I have to clear the pad the "whole" sample came from. In the MPC, I load the "whole" sample, search for parts, hit (Process), select "Extract" and voila, new sample to work with.

I'm still married to Maschine, but my mistress's name is MPC.

2. RudeGullit

RudeGullit NI Product Owner

You can also slice in Maschine without duplicating. I would definitely read the manual if i were you, sounds like you could get more out of Maschine.

• Like Like x 7
  3. AL’DREAD

AL’DREAD NI Product Owner

You could also load up the original sample in the audio module,and resample the parts you want to other pads

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  4. loachm

loachm NI Product Owner

...sounds a bit like this might be similarly easy to do in Maschine...

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Majestic Dakim

I already know about live slicing. What I'm referring to is the ability to extract multiple parts of a long sample, without going through too many workarounds. I really hate workarounds; precious seconds are lost on the creative clock.

6. Majestic Dakim

I'm not referring to live slicing. I'm talking about extracting whole loops out of the sample, to be able to use them elsewhere, going back to that original sample, and finding more loops, without having to duplicate. You don't sound like an MPC user, otherwise you'd know what I was referring to.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SupremeSoulstice

SupremeSoulstice NI Product Owner

I've used both.. Currently on an MPC Live after having ditched the Studio. I get what you're saying, but the only work around to this is slicing. I also understand how it's difficult explaining this process in the MPC, outside of it's slicing feature to users who've had no experience using the MPC. Just an easier way of doing things that's not implemented in Maschine...

8. bilposey

bilposey NI Product Owner

Of course companies aren't the same
    Ying yang
    Tomato
    Tomatta

9. RudeGullit

RudeGullit NI Product Owner

Haven't used MPC, that's right, but I wasn't talking about live slicing. You can also slice and adjust each slice to taste and then export to another group (not live), so I don't really get what Maschine is missing.

But it's OK. I guess I responded partly because of the title of this topic, which is a pretty far reaching conclusion after reading about what you are missing (and might be available in Maschine anyways).

10. loachm

loachm NI Product Owner

..OK, you'd have to hit "Truncate" for each slice individually to get single samples instead of having just the original sample. So a slice export might be indeed useful. But since most people seem to prefer working non-destructively and, furthermore, want to be able to do more things inside of Maschine (and not take the material to other applications) I'm not sure, if this is a huge omission. So an accurate thread title might be "Akai makes it easier to stop using Akai!" :p

11. bobbyduracel

bobbyduracel NI Product Owner

I found many more precious seconds lost on the creative clock when using MPC. Maschine has them beat with mega-fast workflow. Wanna add a synth to pad 13? Cool, browse for a synth. Want drums in bank B? tap B, browse, load. Move on.

Wanna do that in MPC? takes quite a few more presses. To each his own. I enjoy them both for different reasons, but to work fast - with no stops to organize things into separate programs or groups or whatever... Maschine. You can't even load a drum kit to pad bank B with a single click in MPC.

12. bobbyduracel

BUT - you work with whatever is faster and more fun for YOU.

13. skinswashdc

skinswashdc Well-Known Member

Agree. For me I think it's 1. Maschine/Komplete Kontrol NI Ecosystem 2. Studio One 4/Atom/Melodyne integration/Chord Track (audio and midi) 3. Any MPC Software with MPC Live/X.

This is just in terms of workflow when producing.

14. bobbyduracel

I loved the MPC Live. But, the best part was it's standalone mode. If you threw a battery in the Maschine Mk3 and a little MCS (multicore system) that thing would sell so much faster (IMHO) because the workflow is just free from those rules - program 1 must be drums, Program 2 must only be synth, etc etc etc.

The MPC Live appealed to me when I lacked the computer needed to run NI's vast suite of fun. Once I crossed that bridge and purchase the proper computer, MPC lost all appeal.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018