Akai MPC One

Discussion in 'General Production Forum' started by AndriusDK, Jan 15, 2020.

1. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

No worries, It didn't come off as offensive. I was responding to what I quoted only. What we prefer and the reasons why is one thing, technical facts about computers are another. Personally I dont like it in hosted mode either, I also enjoy some limitations, focusing on the controller, etc... that's mostly why i use the maschine app instead of hosting it in a DAW.

It isn't bloated, it's streamlined to what the hardware needs only but it's still an OS, if that's enough to make a cheap computer last the test of time, I dont know... Especially the 2GB of ram... It also depends on what's the user's expectations for future features, if he has any, someone fully happy with the current feature set doesn't need to worry about that all.

In a year or two akai will release another MPC and this conversation will pop up again, just like it did when all other models come out...

2. Mutis

Mutis NI Product Owner

I'm agree modern MPCs aren't like olds (I told it to mpcheads over internet related to midi tightness but people get hyped) but at the same time I found the NI proposal bit limited and outdated. The standalone issue comes from NI themselves because it seems (more than a rumor but not totally proven) they had a standalone version in the pipeline and they ditched due the lay-off.
    How it could work is now a mystery and legend but which points is a market shift.

Will be desktop software in the future? Probably but if you look at how macs are going in price maybe you will conclude it's suited for Professionals (those who can expend 2K on macbook pro, 3K on iMac Pro and 1K on mac mini "pro") since it seems the "cheap" (lol) line will be ported into ARM sooner or later.
    It's NI pointing that direction? Maybe but if you look at TDJ2 advertisement i doesn't looks like.

Are they going the iPad route? Who knows... they stated in the past more or less what you described D-One but times change and they are now talking about Native One platform (which could mean subscription model) just leaving aside Traktor due their user base screaming about the idea of going subs model...

As I said before, it seems NI is going to outsource the hardware development (said by ex-employees who affirm they were in the standalone Maschine project) so maybe there is a chance in the future to satisfy every kind of user. I want to be positive and believe NI is doing the work rear the curtain but we are still with the same "no communication" pattern and slow release roadmap (related to Maschine and the long waited song mode ie). They could made lots of things before end into a lay-off and now they need to do things right to keep the trust of some users. Those who are ok with x86 platform and dependency from computers should be fine but those who want portability and DAWless setups are expecting more from NI and I can't blame them. In the meantime Akai has gone totally fail with the Reinnassence line and revamped themselves with the Live/X (still need to prove these are truly reliable but almost Akai is pushing clear in some direction). Native has been stagnated for too much time at this point. It's not a matter of release half backed things, I said it before... but almost show some movement almost in the software side c'mon! Even they done something with the old Traktor 2>3 skin and so (not well received I know but that's something almost) so why not be a bit more clear about Maschine future?
    Maybe I'm talking without enough knowledge but how is Maschine software going lately? My impression is the same as Traktor before the TDJ2 revamp...

3. D-One

What do you consider "the standalone issue" ? Not knowing for sure if one will be released?

It's proven they were indeed working on a prototype, I personally kind of proved it but as they said it themselves they work on projects/ideas all the time, it doesn't mean they're going to be released... any of them can turn out to be not such a good idea at the time and just get canceled / backlogged.
    It being ditched due to the layoffs specifically is your assumption, what if it was the other way around? What if someone pushed for that HW idea instead of software development like the vast majority of users have been asking for years and got fired for it along with his idea? No way to know for sure, and I am not sure it matters now anyway.

I do believe they'll make a standalone or hybrid eventually, just not anytime soon, if I had to make a bet I would say it will likely be when a new major version is released.. at best.

I would be scared of an attempt to satisfy every kind of user, but if done well then why not? I am all for it even though I rather what we have now being improved. Not sure whats the relevancy of outsourcing HW and how it would impact customers tbh.

The current communication is they will be working on the arranger this year, that's what they promised so if they are working on a standalone to be released soon that would make the communication we do have a blatant lie, that would make a few happy and many furious, I'd be in the furious camp. To me, this makes it clear what they're working on and that no standalone will be released soon, but I could be wrong. I guess we will see...

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mutis

Mutis NI Product Owner

The standalone issue is people asking for it again and again.
    Some ex-employees said at lay-off blogs (and reedit) the Maschine Standalone was ready for mass production, not a prototype. Ditched the day before going mass production and implying the lay-off (mostly hardware side of the brand) get fired. Not only those working on Maschine, all hardware side. Also said that the hardware will be outsourced (done by third parties or partnershipping) from that moment. So it could be still possible but will is not going to be is soon.

Probably the arranger promise was after the lay-off and makes sense. Just focus on software as the rest of the line. It reminds me to what NI has done with Traktor and maybe NI is going to revamp iMaschine in the same way as TDJ2, who knows...

but none of that truly address the standalone issue which is only a sign of the market but market gone and comes as pendulum so keeping the work in the (let's say) desktop over any other platform (standalone ARM based or pushing the iOS development) isn't bad idea nowadays but could be so-so for next year.

Why? Due Catalyst project. Apple is pointing very clearly to port their affordable (lol) lines to ARM and encouraging iOS developers to port apps into desktop instead the opposite. That's again the market shift talking... 20€ apps vs 200€ software. Obviously in desktop Apple isn't getting all they want (the mac appstore is still a joke) but they are trying and improving (Apple Arcade, AppleTV shows, iTunes model...) and security improvements make desktop compatibility more PITA as time goes...

In fact that's probably the reason behind brands like Denon/Numark/Pioneer releasing standalones, to avoid the Apple Tax and the Apple broken driver drama.

IDK what's going to do NI but the choices aren't so many if you look a bit in the field. Keep themselves with x86 platform as they stated over the years (there's an old interview from the CEOs that I can post if you want) maybe isn't the best bet for long shot. Maybe that was one of the points for lay-off too.
    For a moment look at Traktor strategy and ads, then think if Maschine suits for the same or what we could expect. There's an stated difference: NI also said Traktor will not be included in the NATIVE ONE proposal (whatever it becomes in the end) to calm the fears about year/monthly subscription... but then... without new hardware? without subscription? what else remains? In-app purchases (ala Serato), third party licensing (ala Serato once again) and what about Remix Decks or Stems? (maybe the Bridge as parallelism for Traktor)

Mmmm... Arranger mode sounds like vertical waveforms in Traktor for me. How many years has been promised? It wasn't around the Maschine Jam release? (I could be wrong and that was another feature)
    I'm not so confident even I want to believe in because I feel NI still has lot to say in the BeatMaking/Djing realm but I can't see (the future) proposal meanwhile the rest of the brands/world keeps moving (maybe too fast, ok...).
    I think adopting class compliant hardware (or implementing drivers for iOS platform) could be "relatively" easy and one sign to hope but then I ask myself... There are still hardware engineers working at NI or where all of them truly fired?

We will see... or not?
    Let's keep hoping...

5. baridw1

baridw1 NI Product Owner

This is something I might pick up and have both for a bit. If I find one is superior I'll make the decision then, right now I tend to wonder about the DSP power, RAM and storage. How much it would cost to improve it. Will the SD cards be slow loading? Why not have an SSD drive in the thing? At this price point I'm willing to find out for myself but after a few "real people" get it and I hear some feedback.

• Like Like x 1
  6. D-One

Oh, ok. People will keep asking, as they ask for many other things.
    No, it was just one, "Ex-NI" anonymous guy here.
    If you choose to believe it was really canceled on ''the first day of mass production'' is up to you.
    No, not really.

There are still a bunch of HW people there and recently they had job offerings for more HW people... There are still some openings.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Mutis

Mutis NI Product Owner

Thanks D-One for the information. Maybe it was just one ex-employee across the several forums. Were many talking about the lay-off at reedit (and that freelance page) but anyways is not me "believing for sure" just pointing where my points get based (alongside the topic about standalone you know). If you have first hand info and want to share it (even as "what if" as you did) it will be welcome ;)

Anyways from these "hiring offers"...
    https://www.native-instruments.com/en/career-center/career/4576940002

It seems clear to me that NI wants to develop Linux based products for producers and djs, which it's great and I hope they have some of these engineers nowadays and they are hiring some more.
    Maybe the outsourcing info was from the same guy and it was an excuse to fire him, who knows...

Other hiring offers point to other hardware (microcontroller based) so that shows some hope also for new NI hardware "in-house" or almost someone taking care if finally gets outsourced (which isn't so bad neither).

Nice chat.:thumbsup:

8. Damien Thomas

Damien Thomas New Member

...At this point...and i say this with a heavy heart, and a bit of bewilderness, akai is set to pretty much bury NI as a competitor in the drum machine market. Thats what that 699 price point is all about. The mpc one is no different than the rest but for its size and probably a few features that one who is buying for lack of being able to afford a live or x wouldnt miss anyway-so the only reason to create it IS to offer an alternative to frustrated maschine users who didnt want to take a $2,199.00 plunge off the income cliff. It is, from a business perspective, a brilliant move and due to NI's seemingly total abandonment of its customer base will likely be the eventual death knell of the maschine series of controllers. I love my maschine- ****, ive been in this eco system since 2012 but man trying to sell them is more of a hassle than it should be when its time to update, and people wont really buy them anymore. even GC has a policy theyre not taking them anymore in my area. on top of that every software in the world is running vst 3 now EXCEPT maschine. The updates are too far and few and inconsequential. They got it right with these products but somewhere along the line they either over reached or misspent their bread on the wrong division of the company. The komplete kontrols are still the top keyboard in the game in my opinion (and will reamain so if they add some sliders) with the mpk. at this point NI should probably leave the drum game to akai and focus on dominating the midi keyboard market.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Daksha

Daksha NI Product Owner

• Like Like x 1
  10. BigPictureSound

BigPictureSound NI Product Owner

I agree the MPC One is a product designed to capitalize on NI's lethargic product development- especially the name. NI announced "One Native" so Akai naming a product MPC One a few months after is more than coincidence and shows Akai flexing their dominance.

Plus Akai's identity/branding is really, really good. NI has shifted to this soft, inclusive look with unpractical scenarios of hipsters in cafes playing M32's on coffee tables next to a potted plant, where Akai has an atmospheric and edgy campaign focused on product innovation (excluding the Force).

Not to say Akai is perfect, but including a touch screen on the newest lineup of devices is in my opinion one reason why they are able to push updates so fast as they aren't held back by legacy hardware button layouts. Plus, their decision to be able to detach your project from standalone by linking to desktop version seems to be the right choice.

In Machines case, every software function must be accessible from the hardware exclusively, including older units which just doesn't seem to be a sustainable model which is evident in slow iteration of the the software a decade since release. If the new generation of maschine leverages Akai's hybrid model, maybe everyone wins.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Hit-Man

Hit-Man NI Product Owner

How many of you guys are going to buy the Akai MPC One?

12. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

13. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

I’m tempted I could pair it with my 707 , would be a cool combo , might have to sell my 101 to pay for it tho :(

Just looked and I can get 10% off if I order by tomorrow, so it will be £575 ish

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  14. Hit-Man

Hit-Man NI Product Owner

I'm in the same boat. I can get it for $559.00 but I have to order it by tonight.

• Like Like x 1
  15. BigPictureSound

I already pre-ordered. It was expected to arrive at the dealer on 1/25ish, but Akai just changed the release date to 2/22nd so just turned into a long wait.

I'd actually be interested in buying the live, but lack of dedicated buttons for important functions is why I went with the MPC One.

16. D-One

Cool, after getting to know it better if those of you who ordered it could give some thoughts about it here it would be cool, pros and cons.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Damien Thomas

Damien Thomas New Member

Absolutely agree- and very well stated!

18. BigPictureSound

I definitely will. And at the current price point, I am considering opening it up and seeing if I can swap out the onboard storage for something larger. I know it's not officially supported, but there might be some way to hack it.

19. Mutis

Mutis NI Product Owner

https://niklasnisbeth.gitlab.io/mpc-internals/

20. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

A gearslut received the “one” today , so they’re shipping in the USA !