1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Akoustik Piano and Sonar Issue

Discussion in 'AKOUSTIK PIANO' started by LionSound, Aug 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LionSound

LionSound New Member

I've got a strange issue with Akoustik Piano 1.1.2 and Sonar x86 6.2.1 in Vista X64. Whenever I open AP in Sonar, be it VSTi or DXi, the synth stops making sound after a minute or two, every time. What's odd is that its meter in Sonar shows that it is making some kind of cinstant noise around -6db or so, and there will be some random clicking through my monitors as well. I can reset Sonar's enine, re-enable AP in the Synth Rack, but nothing helps.

I was thinking it might be a settings issue in AP with DFD or something, but there doesn't appear to be a way to tweak any setitngs like that like I can in Elektrik Piano or Battery. Perhaps I have missed something here?

Thanks

2. ew

ew Moderator Moderator

3. LionSound

LionSound New Member

Thanks for the reply. I am actually using AP in the 32-bit version of Sonar, so Bit-Bridge is not being used.

4. ew

ew Moderator Moderator

I'd still be looking at x64 as the culprit. There's been numerous reports of NI plugins not liking x64, even when the host's 32 bit. And, as you've noticed, the standalone doesn't seem to be affected.

ew

5. anon5733

anon5733 NI Product Owner

Same plug-in problem in Vista Home 32 bit/Sonar 7

I have exactly the same problem when I try to use Akoustik Piano as a plug-in in Sonar 7. It plays all right for a moment but when I stop playback I hear a clicking noise and the plug-in goes silent. Akoustik Piano seems to work OK as a standalone. I also have the Elektrik Piano and B4 II and they don't have the same problem.
    Computer: Acer M5100
    Soundcard: Edirol FA-66

6. MisterGarner

MisterGarner NI Product Owner

I have the same exact problem. If I unload the synth, then reload it, everything works fine again. But if I hit play on pre-recorded material and stop it WHILE NOTES ARE PLAYING, it does the horrible clicking and the synth stops making sounds. If I hit stop when notes aren't playing, the bug doesn't show up.

I hope there's a fix for this.

I'm using VISTA 32 bit and Sonar 7.01

Using the stand-alone isn't an option because you can't use WaveRT drivers with it. Yes, the integrated Audigy Soundcard on my new Dell Inspiron 1720 has WaveRT drivers and the latency is beyond awesome. I'm trying to stick with VISTA because playing Akoustik Piano with these drivers is amazing. But there are these terrible growing pains. AGHHH!

7. Drew J

Drew J New Member

Any ideas?

Sorry to post in such an old thread but has anybody had any luck fixing this problem? I'm experiencing the same issue.

8. Scamper68

Scamper68 New Member

It hasn't been resolved yet. I too have this problem and have been waiting. I hate being negative on companies I think are good, but NI just doesn't seem terribly interested in resolving this. Responses to queries on this go largely silent with only other users confirming that they too have the issue. And its not like this is an inexpensive piece of software from an individual developer. I'm frustrated by my lack of ability to use what I regard as very nice pianos but we're just not getting a lot of response from NI here.

9. Drew J

Drew J New Member

This may help.

If anyone is interested, I've found a work-around for this, albeit a rather clunky one. But if you're absolutely desperate to get these piano sounds into your project this will work.

In Sonar you can record the MIDI information using anything in your synth rack that sounds remotely piano-like. After you have the MIDI recorded you can go to File-Save As... and save it as a MIDI format file.

Then open up the stand-alone version of AP and go to the recorder view. Down at the bottom left open up the MIDI file you just exported from Sonar. Load in a piano sound and then Save As a .wav file. AP will then render the MIDI to audio. Then grab the .wav file and import it back into Sonar. Voila! The absolute hardest way to do the easiest thing. But it does work.

Now obviously there are some serious caveats with doing things this way. For instance, recording the MIDI info in Sonar while monitoring some horrible piano sound is going to affect the way you play because the instrument in Sonar isn't going to respond the way AP does.

If you're doing a solo piano piece where tempo isn't important or if your Sonar project is done with a metronome these things will obviously increase your chances of success. In fact, if you're just doing a solo piano piece you wouldn't even have to mess with the MIDI file at all. Just use the recording section of AP to record the audio then import it into Sonar.

Like I said, this isn't perfect but it sure beats waiting around for a patch to fix this problem.

10. cjandpj2

cjandpj2 New Member

I am getting this same issue. I bought a new computer with Windows Vista and a Q6600 Core 2 Quad processor with 4GB ram. I also bought a new E-MU 1616M PCI sound system but I'm still having the same issue.

NI support said to follow "Tuning Tips for Windows Vista for Audio Processing" but those settings did not solve my problem.

In addition to a loud click through my speakers, I notice the AP plug-in volume slider is all the way up. (But no sound) I have to disconnect the SoftSynth and connect again which loads the sample again in order to hear it but as soon as I hit stop or pause the clicks and no sound problem returns.
    What concerns me most is that this issue has not yet been resolved from 18-22-2007 and some recent posts are still asking for a solution. I even tried the same midi file in SONAR LE 4.01 that came with my new E-MU 1616M PCI and it does the same thing so not just a SONAR Producer 7.03 issue. I submitted a ticket to NI support and will post if I am able to get a solution.

11. JunkyFunk

JunkyFunk New Member

Akoustik Piano & Fruity Loops Problem

I have the same problem but I use FL. I have quadcore and 64bit Vista. It does exactly the same once you click stop it makes a sharp pop and then you can't hear anything, while it shows an activity on the mixer. I tried a standalone and it does the same thing. I am too very dissapointed that this issue has not been resolved yet.

12. objectman

objectman Forum Member

Same problem here in Live 7! So it's obviously not our DAW. I bet it has something to do with Vista compatibility as I didn't have this problem on the old XP machne. I think all the VST driver writers are having woeful experiences with Vista. AVID (m-audio) refuse to even release some drivers for their soundcards, blaming Microsoft. Hm. So it's been more than 7 months and no NI response huh?

13. jamie_drum

jamie_drum NI Product Owner

I had the identical problem with Sonar and with Reaper. At least now I know the origin of the problem. I'm really wishing I'd gone with XP for me new DAW! I just bought Akoustic Piano a few months ago, because native instruments said on their website the product was Vista compatible. Obviously that is not quite true.

14. jamie_drum

jamie_drum NI Product Owner

Workaround

By the way, disconnecting AP in the Sonar synth rack, then reconnecting it, seems to reset the piano and you can play again.

It's annoying but it's quicker than rebooting the whole program.

15. Drew J

Drew J New Member

There may be hope.

I have been emailing tech support on this issue repeatedly and there may actually be hope on the horizon.

I was asked to create a project file demonstrating this problem and send it to NI, which I did.

I received a response today that said they have determined what the problem is and they are working on a fix as we speak.

Of course this may not mean that we'll have a patch by the end of the week but at least NI has finally acknowledged that there is actually a problem, which is a step in the right direction.

16. objectman

objectman Forum Member

Let's see how long they take. Avid promised release patches for their soundcards, but took a year and then gave up. If NI have already taken 7 months - what kind of guarantee have we got? Talk is cheap. Our non-working piano was expensive. I wish these companies woud stop cutting their testing budget by using their customers.

17. Scamper68

Scamper68 New Member

It was expensive but if they can fix it, I can forgive them.

18. Amplank420

Amplank420 NI Product Owner

Same Issue

Just to add to the cacophony, I have Akoustik Piano as part of Komplete 5 and have the same problem both when running it as VST, or though Kore 2 on LIVE 7. This is very problematic as Live is my preferred solution for roughing out musical ideas, and this "Bug" effectively makes it impossible to use Akoustik Piano in Live 7 (Except for the as described "Clunky Workaround" of exporting midi to AP, and importing WAVs back). I really need NI to help me find a solution for this as pianos are an important part of my compositions. I just want NI to take this problem seriously, and maybe we can get a fix for this very non-trivial problem. Thank you in advance NI...

By the Way: I am using a laptop, a mod'ded Gateway FX with Vista Ultimate (32 bit), 3 GB Ram, 7200 RPM sata drive, and Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 2.26GHz. Depending on where I am, I use the Kore 1 interface, a PreSonus Firebox, or MOTU 828mk3.

19. anon5733

anon5733 NI Product Owner

Same problem in Sonar 8 too

I just installed Sonar 8 PE and I'm sorry to inform you that the same problem with Akoustik Piano still remains. I'm very disappointed in NI for not fixing this problem and continuing to lie that their plug-ins are compatible with Vista 32bit.

20. Iqbahl

Iqbahl New Member

Been having similar issues in various hosts: Reaper, Live 7, and standalone.

I can play the piano just fine as long as I don't try to record. Whenever I hit record, I can play until I hit stop. At that instant comes a loud crackle and all you get out of the soundcard after that point is clicks and pops.

Using a dual core 2,4 GHz laptop and 4 Gb ram running Vista 32-bit. My USB soundcard is a Xiosynt (Novation)

T

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.