Amazing New Idea

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by RiotAct, Dec 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RiotAct

RiotAct Forum Member

I bought Absynth 4 last week and had a great idea for a new feature.......tech support! Let's see if they delete this thread before they bother to answer the questions I've asked for days, to no response, in other threads...

2. ew

ew Moderator Moderator

The forum is NOT the official way to get tech support. There's an announcement at the top of every forum telling you how to contact support.

ew

3. syrath1001

syrath1001 Forum Member

Yes however there appears to be very little tech support and no sales support unless of course you want to run up a phone bill that costs as much as the product itself.

4. dreamkeeper

dreamkeeper NI Product Owner

With all due respect, Eric, but I wonder why that is. You are doing a great job here with helping users and I applaud you for this, but frankly, you are doing NI's job - for nothing!

It would make a lot of sense imho if they'd decide to deal with support questions here at the forum. This way users would know about the problems others are experiencing AND know that NI is aware, so tech support wouldn't have to deal with the same problems over and over again. They'd have to reply only once to every issue instead of answering dozens (or hundreds) of individual requests. Users would know about possible workarounds and wouldn't have to bother tech support any further.

Cakewalk for instance does it this way, and I'm sure that their presence at the forum (which isn't an official support forum either) reduces the amount of individual support requests significantly. And looking at the KONTAKT forum, it seems it could work here as well.

If they are overwhelmed with work, they need to hire. Sorry, but that's how it's supposed to work in business world. After all we're not talking about some shareware but about professional software products - with a fairly high price tag.

And if they cannot afford more manpower, well, they should stop releasing products in the middle of their development cycle. Simple as that. Don't get me wrong, Absynth 4 IS awesome, but it was clearly released half-done. Not only the bugs are showing this, but several inconsistencies to the modulation/routing concept as well. It was rushed, and that's a real shame because it gives Absynth (and its developer) a bad name.

werner

5. RiotAct

RiotAct Forum Member

As I've said before, I've tried to contact tech support in every way mentioned on the website but to no avail. The tech support request form on the website is very nice and detailed, but it doesn't work if no one answers it.

6. syrath1001

syrath1001 Forum Member

Yup thats pretty much what my experience has been like. Although I have had a reply from tech support once via a web enquiry. It told me they had passed the matter onto sales.

7. sijarvis

sijarvis NI Product Owner

i've just become an absynth 4 user and tried to phone germany to get help in registering as things weren't happening as expected, funnily enough, nobody answered the phone.

i ended up working the problem out myself, which saved me a few quid on my phone bill, but it has actually made me think twice as to whether i've invested in the right company.

i've been told by other users that NI aren't that good at tech support, neither do they listen to their users when it comes down to udpate requests.

what's everyone's opinions in here?

8. ultrasonic

ultrasonic NI Product Owner

It is not my opinion, it is my experience that tech support is working very well. They have a page somewhere here where you ask your question and they answer you very quickly - time zone differences deducted I ALWAYS had a reply after they open office in Germany next time.
    I live in China, there is no NI office here so I rely heavily on the support by NI on-line. It works, and I didn't hesitate to buy Abynth (6 months ago) because I had so competent help with Reaktor over more than a year.
    Why do you want support over the phone? If you think it is expensive for you, think again and find out that it is expensive for them, too. Also, by e-mail you can attach files to illustrate your problem.
    Best regards (no, I am not a share holder)
    Jurgen

9. ew

ew Moderator Moderator

The two or three times I had to contact support in my pre-moderator days, they answered in 72 hours or less.

As to NI listening to user requests, they do listen. However, it's like every other business; they have a schedule for new products and the like that project months and years in advance. There's maybe thirty people actually involved in coding for all the products; the rest are sales and various other normal business funcrtions. When you have as many products as NI does, the developers have their hands full.

ew

10. sijarvis

don't get me wrong, i'm glad that NI have such a large choice of items, but perhaps they should spend more time on less products.

it's much more important to users like me that things are right straight out of the box. there's nothing more frustrating than your new software being buggy and crashing your system.

would be good if fixes were released as soon as they were recoded.

if the developers are having trouble keeping up with their products, then they've not got enough hands on the job.

11. ew

ew Moderator Moderator

What works on the testers' systems may not work on yours. Otherwise, there wouldn't be a technical issues subforum, would there.

I have yet to see any software that works perfectly on everybody's system. You?
    See my above answer. If there wasn't fairly extensive testing before releasing, the system incompatibilities would be even greater.

ew

12. sijarvis

"What works on the testers' systems may not work on yours. Otherwise, there wouldn't be a technical issues subforum, would there."

i sort of agree with you here, but the distinction i'll make is that if it's not compatible over all systems, then it's not really a fix.

yeah, there's no such thing as perfection, but you would have thought that NI already had a team of beta testers equipped with just about every single configuration of system on the market.

is there not such a thing as code-testing software that spots such anomalies?

i don't want to be a damp squib or anything ew, but i have read a fair few posts written by disgruntled users to suggest that things probably aren't as rosy as you or the NI team would like to make out.

i know that the propellerheads have an excellent reputation with their reason software for being trouble free, with rarely a need for bug fixes, however,to be honest, i am a disgruntled reason user! i'm fed up with waiting for them to implement audio and turn it into a fully modular system, so i've just gone and bought reaktor, seeing as it's the most capable piece of music software on the market.

i just hope the learning curve doesn't prove too much for me. (my personal wishes for reaktor lay in the area of interface simplification, something reason excels at).

now, i don't ask for much, all i want is hassle free computer software, a couple of zillion in the bank and everlasting world peace. the money and the world peace are highly unlikely, the former is in the hands of software developers such as NI and alas, it's posts in forums like this that are most likely to get things done.

13. onlyone

onlyone Forum Member

just thought i'd pop in to say that there's no way any software developer anywhere can ever have every configuration of systems in order to test with. it's just not viable. there are way too many variables, from the machine/ OS version to host software to hardware interfaces to minute things within your computer or system that you would never expect to make a difference. but everything on your computer changes the chemistry of that computer, and thusly can alter the chemistry of how software apps can work (or not work). unless one of the testers or developers has a similar setup to yours, that issue may go undiscovered until the software finds your machine.

they do what they can with what they have in the development stages, beta testers do what they can in the test phase, and finally we, the users, are bound to find the remaining issues.

i've not had to contact NI support yet, having only used these forums to get any questions asked, so i can't talk about my experiences there. however, i used to do support along with some testing for a major music software manufacturer, and i have that experience to draw from.

all the best to you and everyone here!

14. ew

ew Moderator Moderator

A very good summary, onlyone =)

I can't even begin to count the times in various beta cycles for various developers where I've been the only person either affected or not affected by a bug...

ew

15. x9blade

x9blade NI Product Owner

yes there will always be problems when new software comes out. i agree 100%. but it seems like with every new NI product that comes out, the end user has serious,serious problems. i'm talking problems that make your system totaly useless.
    why would i have komplete 4 working fairly decent at the end,install komplete 5 to have my machine not work, continuous crashes etc etc? it is the same computer,no components changed.
    seems like all companies these days are doing all they can to ban piracy,which i agree 100%. i buy all my software and won't think about running any cracked versions. that is stealing! WRONG
    but i think the companies have to start stepping up the stability of their product. i purchased komplete 5 upgrade right when it first came out. dealt with all the problems for about a week and finally gave up. too much time wasted! ni tech did respond to one of my post and asked me to send him my computer specs. i know this will all be for nothing so at this time i did not respond,don't have more time to waste. i really feel that it is the software,not my computer.
    so are the companies stealing from us? i think this is the question we should be asking! with no disrespect to any moderators here, i think the "you can't expect the software on every computer" is getting a little worn out. if other companies can do it why can't ni?
    i will say NI products are the best sounding but enough is enough

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.