1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

An update on the future of the Sequencer - Part 2

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Charles @ NI, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Spazoo

Spazoo NI Product Owner

I've always been a big fan of the Maschine expansion packs, and for that reason I still use Maschine. But for the most part my 10+ year experience with Maschine has been disappointing. I enjoyed the ride up until version 2.0, but it's been downhill from there. Maybe it's my fault. I didn't buy a Kontrol Keyboard or a Maschine Jam. Nothing against those products, but by the time they were released I was too disappointed in Maschine to spend more $$$ on the ecosystem.

When the "Maschine on the Record Sessions" were removed from this forum, along with much NI discussion of the Maschine roadmap, I stopped believing anything NI has to say about the future of Maschine.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Supercreative

Supercreative NI Product Owner

Nowadays, I stay calm and patient regarding the next major update(s). I just use my time to create new beats until there is a new major update.
    Hopefully, we see the development of Maschine towards the right direction. If this takes more time than expected it‘s ok for me. The overall result is more important for me.

• Like Like x 5
  3. Spazoo

Spazoo NI Product Owner

I use Maschine to create loops that I play in Traktor. The workflow is quick and easy and it works great. I just drag the audio from Maschine and drop it into a slot on a Traktor remix deck. Voila! I don't think it could be any easier.

4. HammyHavoc

HammyHavoc NI Product Owner

Are you a beta user?

5. CakeAlexS

CakeAlexS NI Product Owner

Technically if he was, he's not allowed to say.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  6. olafmol

olafmol NI Product Owner

The original posting from NI is over 4 years old now, from 2016. Now with clips delivered in the 2.12 update, it might be the right moment to revive the request for "live performance recording" where mutes, solos, mixer-automation etc can be recorded on the timeline into a arrangement. This would be really amazing to have, as it's totally in line with the "jam the f*&#$ out my cool loops and make an awesome track with it LIVE!" .. so +999999 ;)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

I do not disagree, but consider that Clips is a major step towards that goal of performance recording...

8. morgendugg

morgendugg NI Product Owner

I lost my hope.
    At least not until 3039

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. basehead617

basehead617 NI Product Owner

I've been thinking about this - it definitely seems odd that the mutes and solos are not recordable as automation.

Can anybody think of a likely reason?

10. morgendugg

morgendugg NI Product Owner

I don't know nothing about programming, but are suspecting they programmed themselves into a corner. And they priority is going towards the majority...economy! The loop byers dont care!

11. Kaldosh

Kaldosh NI Product Owner

Especially when you can automate that very same mute function on sound generators from Reaktor but doesn't work on samples or vst sound slots...doesn't make sens somehow

12. olafmol

olafmol NI Product Owner

As someone with a software development background I can do a few educated guesses. Mainly I suspect that the mixer was added later, and is mainly a “view” of underlying objects and their parameters. The automation functionalities are mapped to specific parameters of objects, so volume can be automated directly against the underlying module’s gain/output, but not from the mixer view itself. Mute and solo are like “macro’s” that work in the mixer but apply changes to several underlying objects (ie a mixer solo means muting other tracks). If the automation only works on the underlying objects then it’s hard to record these macro behaviors. My hunch would be that overhauling the macro functionality would also make it possible to add recording of mutes and solos as mixer-macro events.

• Like Like x 2