And So It Begins...

Discussion in 'General Production Forum' started by theinvis, Jan 20, 2016.

1. jpeg

jpeg Forum Member

Its shame that NI did not act on feature requrest from users and ended up just waiting for someone to come along and add what users want and they follow suit and the same features only because the competition has those features.

Long term support is not the be all end all; cos if the product is good up front then u wont need support, so I never base a product purchase based of support, just evaluate the product and how it fits ur workflow needs at the time.

In general I dont rate Akai; none of their other products hold any interest for me, I just like the MPC line; lotta the NuAkai hardware MPC's were solid but boring, uninspired devices, but Akai are bringing the inspiration back with recent design choices.

The original 80's and 90's AKAI stuff was solid and had character also.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mystic38

Mystic38 NI Product Owner

With all respect to your prejudices about itb preferences, lets just not pretend that using a computer with a controller is anyway shape or form "standalone" operation..

Were you not here when USB 3.0 came out and nobody could use their Maschine controller with USB3.0 ports?.. or when MAC o.s. changes and nobody can use Maschine controller because the driver needed to be re-written?.. (and its worse for PC users) now.. extrapolate that set of issues 10 or 20 years down the road.... ya really think this is all gonna be working well?.. this is not a future proof product.

way i see it, Selling a standalone machines essentially means the manf. has a year or so to get it right and also make it better before things explode in their faces... you KNOW what you are getting from day 1. Compare that to the "hybrid" market.. The entire "hybrid" market has basically allowed people who have very limited knowledge of a market (oh, lets say NI for example) to get into any market with the promise of adding features and fixing things down the road.. if you go back far enough with Maschine i think you must acknowledge that they frankly did not have a clue what they were doing, and its hard to see that their understanding has changed at all... its a shell game.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Mystic38

Nope, NI's shell game is now known.. i frankly do not believe they have a single clue about midi or grooveboxes so its very likely that Studio will be going, though mk1 will stay as its worth crap and i wish to keep Komplete .. There is however zero chance that NI gets another bucket $$$ from me.. after all, there is plenty hardware to buy ;)

Roland?.. Yep.. and with the MV8800, MC505, 808, 909 and every Roland workstation ever the midi implementation is 100x better than Maschine will ever be..

ah shoot.. i see what you did..

you made me bite with your 769th anti-Roland post...lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. skinswashdc

skinswashdc Well-Known Member

If they have no clue for making grooveboxes what makes you use maschine today?

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  5. Spazoo

Spazoo NI Product Owner

i can't prove it but i just know this is a marketing bot.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. mezzurias

mezzurias NI Product Owner

In my setup Maschine Studio is as good as standalone. It's in my studio, never moves, always works and it's far away enough from my machine that I don't have to look at my computer at all to use it. Some people may not like the fluidity of software but the reason I bought Maschine in the first place and not an MPC or an MV is because I like software.

There are some instances when it's frustrating like my Traktor S4, which was a waste of cash on my part, being dropped from the support list and never really working properly to begin with everytime there was a new OS update. A perfectly good piece of hardware arbitrarily dropped. If I were in the market again for that kind of controller NI is the last place I'd look, regardless of how much I like Traktor.

So in that respect standalone is cool, however I think some folks are overstating the stability of hardware. I've seen really bad bugs on hardware units that never get fixed because the manufacturer dropped support the minute they released the product. That happens more than folks want to admit.

7. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

While I do agree with much of what you say, @Mystic38, and certainly about the distinction between "hybrid" and true standalone setups, like @mezzurias, how I have my MASCHINE setup, it's also as good as standalone. Until I start tinkering and changing things round. :p

But, of course, I had to do some work to get it to be like that and it wasn't just like that as soon as I installed MASCHINE and drivers etc., but it's infinitely more fitting for me than any true standalone device ever could be. And I suppose that's the rub.

Every setup will have quirks and limitations etc., but the ones in true standalone devices are arguably more ingrained and there are fewer workarounds. However, even this is changing and such standalone boxes will or can get as many software/firmware updates as a true software product. Anyway, each to their own. Personally, it's nice to have the choice and, money allowing, to have a bit of each pie. :)

8. Mystic38

The last time i plugged Maschine in, the dog died, the wife ran away and I wrote a Country song.. and I am English ffs..lol

the real answer?.. I actually don't...

1.8.2 is occasionally used in the DAW, but thats it. Its pretty much been put aside in favor of Live & Push 2.. at least i can use hardware with that setup, and the 8*8 matrix for more octaves is decent as a keyboard.

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. Bonus Beats

Bonus Beats Guest

its still beginning

10. Spazoo

Spazoo NI Product Owner

11. jpeg

jpeg Forum Member

novation should of put a screen on that circuit; it would be a lot better; considering the ubiquitous cheap color screens we have on even the lowest end mobile phones and tablets, this is another example of companies holding back features that should be easily achievable in thsi day and age.

also with the amount of sample time, how cheap memory is and also considering the other options; such as SD or micro SD there is no excuse really.

12. skinswashdc

skinswashdc Well-Known Member

Novation brought the chips late to the party. The dip has already expired.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  13. theinvis

theinvis NI Product Owner

I don't think so, friend of mine got his circuit for $150 used, the circuit is seemingly limited but if you run down the feature list you'll see that getting those capabilities for $150 used- under 300 new it's a crazy and they're still updating it....all of the heads on SPs, and electribes should take notice. I think the circuit was just a test run and if they add waveform editing, sample slicing, and more memory it won't even cost that much more. The next version is going to be a banger, the current version will be a sleeper classic.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  14. theinvis

theinvis NI Product Owner

maschine hasn't been dropped from any support list but it hasn't ever worked properly after any update. Maybe things will be different in 2017

15. dreddiknight

dreddiknight NI Product Owner

+1

16. Spazoo

Spazoo NI Product Owner

people looking for the one box that does it all aren't going to be satisfied with it. imho the circuit is worth it just for the synth engines alone. i bought a lot of gear this past year and circuit was my best bang for the buck. well... 259 bucks.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Spazoo

Spazoo NI Product Owner

this mother

• Like Like x 1
  18. muleskinner

muleskinner Forum Member

Oh FFS give it a rest. All that stuff has an impact on price - that's why they didn't do it. The circuit has been a roaring success given that it was really a pretty experimental/left-field piece of gear. Novation should be applauded for bringing out an innovative product at an accessible price and continuing to support it with regular and significant updates (rather than a load of useless expansions). And no, I don't work for them or own one, it's just nice to see a company doing things right for a change.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Bertotti

Bertotti NI Product Owner

Oh yes! I would love the DSI OB6! Looked at circuit but just about anything groove box beat machine just does nothing for me. I don't want another maschine experience with all the negatives and or positives. I am just looking for a way to use logic and samples and vst in it and control it like a beat box, when I so desire. Roli blocks, for this reason, gives me some hope. NI has made me very gun shy in a way.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  20. Mystic38

Only thing i have lusted after for quite a while...