1. Hi everyone,

We have just announced our latest version of the Komplete bundles.

Find out more about the bundles and the newly added instruments

Komplete 13 is available for pre-order now, and will become available for download on October 1, 2020.

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Announcing: Maschine+

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Mick @ NI, Sep 8, 2020.

1. THELOOPKING

THELOOPKING NI Product Owner

For sure man! I been preoccupied w boring medical studies for 8 of the last 10 yrs but I'm about to be done for a while. Cant wait to dig into some more fun DIY projects like this!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Bonus Beats

Bonus Beats NI Product Owner

Id rather say it and have it hated then it to not be said at all (silence IS prejudice too) BTW I too am a "man with a tan" but I guess you have to be in my/our situation to realize the struggles and prejudice's people like us face everyday as soon as we step out of our doors everyday...

I'll gladly take 40 thumbs down rather then saying nothing at all so keep them coming.

• Dislike Dislike x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  3. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Not to minimize whatever you went thru but "everyone is guilty until proven innocent" is an aggressive way to go about things, surely there are other ways to make the world better.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Bonus Beats

I don't think so at all. I can order something online and get it nearly the next day or in less then three days so I don't see this excuse viable.

5. Bonus Beats

8/9

*silence?

thats ok then lets just brush it under the rug for the corporations sake ;)

to be fair I was fooled by thinking that Jeff gibbon guy actually had one because he holds up an mk3 on his thumbnail. mehh whatever I guess ...

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  6. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

I have no idea what that means but ok.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bonus Beats

8/9 video's.

meaning lets ignore this observation some of us noticed for the sake of a business/corporations good standing. Im not really sure how you don't get that. Its all good, I'm over this whole thread. thanks for your time.

• Dislike Dislike x 3
  8. Mick @ NI

Mick @ NI Banaholic NI Team

• Like Like x 2
  9. eclipxe

eclipxe NI Product Owner

I appreciate where you're coming from, but NI already addressed this. I appreciate what you're calling out, but I think you're attributing malice to simple demographic realities of global shipping and logistics (i.e. users in Germany/EU received the device first).

• Like Like x 4
  10. BuleriaChk

BuleriaChk NI Product Owner

Well, I just cancelled my pre-order until:
    1. They make the interface usable with my Pod Go (and GT-1000) as sound cards.
    2. They include Guitar Rig 6.

Otherwise my laptop and either of those (with my Micro Mk3) will be more than enough.
    (No love for guitarists, but WTF? it would be so easy to provide us with this functionality).

11. HammyHavoc

HammyHavoc NI Product Owner

It honestly depends on the courier/carrier and a combination of 'middle mile' and 'final mile' logistics.

I bought a synth from California recently and it took ~45 days to arrive here in Liverpool, UK. My partner and I sent a present to her aunt in Chicago, and it took almost a month, not even like either were any bigger than the Maschine's shipping cartons. Between COVID-19 and USPS issues, getting and sending things is so hit and miss. In complete contrast to both of those experiences, I had a prototype Eurorack module from NYC within 5 days, though the package was admittedly very small (size of the average hand).

• Like Like x 1
  12. Bodhi Beats

Bodhi Beats NI Product Owner

If I’m not mistaken, all but one of those are also European.

Like I said, this is an issue I care about and fight for every day, but I think in this case NI’s justification that there was neither malice nor systemic “overlooking” of BIPOC folx checks out. It just turns out that the BIPOC influencers NI works with are across the pond from them, and it stands to reason that it takes longer to ship things further.

Might suggest NI find some BIPOC folx to work with in the EU, though! :)

• Like Like x 2
  13. Reefius

Reefius NI Product Owner

In today's world it's impossible to do anything right, as there will always be someone feeling offended by it.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Bonus Beats

So we can assume that no units have been shipped to America or any other county? Thats weird cause I bet there has to be some people at Native Instruments Los Angeles that have some to test or at least have seen the thing first hand but hey if thats what we are agreeing upon so be it. Also I’m wondering if it was more of an oversight more then anything but if Sarah got a unit just days after the European guys then I don’t think it took 45 days to get to her, assuming she is in the US, perhaps Canada, which I’m not gonna go and check btw.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  15. Bonus Beats

I haven't seen the thread where this was addressed, at least it was I suppose.I would still like to hear from any folks out there that have already been notified that they are going to demo a unit in South America North America or Africa etc. I don't even see any credit for the guy in the video thats how unimportant it must be.. I guess maybe just a guy used for his visual "persona".

• Dislike Dislike x 4
  16. HammyHavoc

HammyHavoc NI Product Owner

Now that the NDA is somewhat relaxed I can speak a little more freely on my experiences with the beta:
    • The next Maschine update hasn't been available for testing for long. In fact, the first beta only became available ~2 weeks ago.
    • Like Mick said, the over-the-air update feature wasn't on the Maschine+ units that were sent out for testing initially, to be updated, they had to be sent back to NI in Berlin, sending units back and forth takes time, and of course the new Clips functionality is a big selling point on the Maschine+ as a capable standalone workflow versus the existing Maschine workflow most people are familiar with, is why it isn't being touched upon in the videos of influencers thus far.
    • The maturation of the beta between 2.12.0.837, 2.12.0.841 and 2.12.0.857 has frankly been huge. And that's not to say that it felt crumby or half-baked on the initial beta, and is no way whatsoever putting the development team down, they're actually great (shout out to Kai) but that the development team works very quickly in addressing bugs, refining features and adding objectively superior functionality. It's like night and day the difference between the first and the most recent beta. I'm really impressed with the pace of development currently, it's leaps and bounds better than its been in the past few years. There's a huge changelog of refinements with each version of the beta.
    The amount of time required to create worthwhile video content isn't really appreciated by most people, it's a complex product in itself with a decade of development behind it, Maschine is under constant improvement, and there have been significant improvements between releases of each beta, no doubt that will postpone production on more detailed looks at the Maschine+.

If we're going to get critical: I thought the dust on the table in the video with Boris showing the Maschine+ perhaps cheapened a premium priced product, that's just my opinion, there's always room for improvement, but I think they did a great job given the limitations in place right now. But, you know, reality isn't clean and free of dust like a pristine set, neither are real-world music studios that actually get used and aren't just a collector's play-thing and showroom. It was a product demo rather than a sexy, unrealistic product reveal. The purpose of the video was to inform and it was successful in that regard, which is arguably better than a computer-generated 3D model of a product with a handful of bullet points over a minute or so that actually don't tell you much other than press release spec-sheet nonsense.

Case in point: you go to a jewellery store and it's flawlessly clean. You go and get something custom made at a real jeweller and it's not clean, it's a workshop, they do work there, and they're going to build you something great. Some swarf is a sign that things happen there and it's not all bought-in or outsourced nonsense.
    It depends where you're from. Despite being a Brit, I've contributed to the Berlin music scene in-person with performance, released records, ran a label there for years on end, done events, worked on music for a game set in Berlin that was developed in Berlin, you get to know the scene. I think Simdal (https://www.facebook.com/SimmiDimmi/) was a great choice to represent sounds from NI's hometown with something other than electronic music whilst being authentic and true to what's around them.

I applaud the use of a moderately popular independent artist rather than completely selling out and having a major producer trying to push the latest shiny thing. It elevated someone's status who deserved it.

I don't know where you're from, I likely don't know the scene where you live because I've not lived or worked there, ergo I probably wouldn't recognize the relevance of someone within your local scene if there was a product launched by a company from your area, that's just how it goes, it isn't ignorance, it's just context. But to reduce authentic, local talent to simply a box-ticking exercise by NI would be a disservice to the effort and planning that goes into marketing a new product, during COVID-19 or not.

There aren't unlimited marketing budgets, especially with niche products like these. Selling you on a product is the idea, rather than a person or a lifestyle, it's not a music video, it's a product ad, hence the focus on pushing the Maschine+ rather than the artist. Those who liked what they heard will find out who it is in the comments, or Shazam.

Fancier marketing equals higher prices for the consumer if the volume of sales doesn't increase with the quality and quantity/variety of marketing. Do people really want it any higher? Of course not. Do you want better marketing, or would you rather have a better end product that sells itself? I'll go with the latter, which is why plenty of people lean on NI to implement certain features and fix bugs.

If we really wanted to get into demographics, equality is a far larger issue than the start of a long marketing campaign that hasn't finished rolling out yet, the real problems are an industry-wide issue that's bigger than marketing that's as old as the industry itself, relating to anything from gender, race, belief, orientation, age, the list goes on. A YouTube video promoting a groovebox isn't going to solve those problems. I don't see equality issues here, and I also don't see the solution to those problems here either. The solution is discourse and without naming names of problematic individuals, not elevating people who shouldn't be given a platform in the first place.

Use your tools of choice and bring attention to the issues with art if that's what brings people together and gets people talking. It all comes down to the music mate.

• Like Like x 6
  17. HugoClubs

HugoClubs NI Product Owner

He means that 8 out 9, are white boys

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. sqtk

sqtk New Member

Gender, race, politics, religion and whatever divisions people have planted in their heads are not things I look for on music tech forum, so can we get back on topic?

Maschine + made me love my MK3 even more. Some reviews reminded me about functions I was not using for long time (locks).
    I also wonder if there will be more accessories (cases, bags, stands) available which will fit both models.

• Like Like x 5
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
  19. Mick @ NI

Mick @ NI Banaholic NI Team

Are you purposely ignoring all my messages in this thread, even after I tag you? It feels that whatever I reply, you choose to ignore it.

I'm happy to go more in-depth on this with you, but then you have to start acting like a grown up.

• Like Like x 12
  20. Falko Freund

Falko Freund NI Product Owner

Mick: Thanks for answers before.... It is right, that you can load your own Samples via sd card or usb?

• Like Like x 1