1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

Announcing: Maschine+

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Mick @ NI, Sep 8, 2020.

1. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

Definitely a yes

2. BombBeats71

BombBeats71 NI Product Owner

4. Do NOT be so sure people.
    Look at the propiertary plug that locks the power cord in the unit.
    Also I am not sure NI would advise anything else others that their own power unit to power the M+.

Standalone doesn't necessarily means it needs it own power. The vintage MPCs never had that and nobody complained.
    Now with the MPC live versions it's an issue all of a sudden.

Always hoped, for years, for Maschine controller integration with Imaschine on the iPad. Those tablets are so powerfully and that would make it the perfect portable setup.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bodhi Beats

Bodhi Beats NI Product Owner

There’s no way you can know this, unless you’re intimately familiar with the integrated OS the Maschine+ is running, or you’ve used a Maschine+ and have experienced underwhelming performance personally.

Generally speaking, when people say things like, “this has too little RAM,” or “this processor is too slow,” they’re making assumptions based on similar hardware running wildly different software. The fact that an Atom and 4GB of RAM would be underpowered for a PC running Windows and the Maschine desktop software in no way suggests that it will be underpowered running...whatever NI has written for Maschine+. Maybe it’ll be underpowered, maybe it won’t. None of us really know yet (again, unless we’ve used one and/or have a lot more knowledge about the software layer for this thing).

Hardware and software are intimately connected. You can’t make any assertions about the performance of one unless you know a whole lot about the other. And I think the case — for almost everyone here — is that we know some very basic details about the hardware and almost nothing about the software.

• Like Like x 3
  4. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

4 - true they may not recommend what battery to use , but it definitely works with a portable battery,
    Someone will make an adaptor for the cable , unless one already exists

5. Bodhi Beats

Couple of thoughts/questions on things that have been assumed/discussed here:

1. Maschine Expansions running on Maschine+ Standalone: I think it’s safe to assume most will work, and maybe all. But here’s what I don’t know: do any Maschine expansions use synths other than those that are included on Maschine+ and operable in standalone mode? A cursory glance would seem to suggest that most (all?) expansions use Massive, Monark, and Prisim. But are there any that use a synth that isn’t included for Maschine+? Because that would be at least some of the sounds would not work in standalone mode.
    2. Does anyone know for sure if Maschine+ will still run in USB bus-powered mode when connected to a computer? I would guess yes, but do we know that for sure? May seem like a small thing, but: Maschine+ has a proprietary power connector/adapter that will likely be expensive/difficult to replace or buy extras. I’d sure love to be able to always keep that power adapter in my bag and use USB power when connected to my computer, rather than having to constantly disconnect and reconnect the power adapter every time I switch between controller mode and standalone mode.

6. MilesMatrix

MilesMatrix New Member

First up, I couldn't be more excited for this announcement. I'm an avid MK3 user and if reviews are good I might look into upgrading in the future. I do have a question though and I haven't been able to find an answer yet (excuse me if I overlooked it):

Will you be able to use third-party plugins on the Maschine + (as is possible in Maschine together with the MK3). For example, I love using U-he's Repro 5 – will I be able to load this plugin on the Maschine +?

7. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

Just to add some perspective about the cpu, The Korg Kronos can have up to 200 stereo piano voices running on a 1.4 GHz Atom that's even older than the one in M+

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bodhi Beats

I’m 99% sure the answer to this is, “you will still be able to use third party plugins when connected to a computer in controller mode, but you will not be able to use third-party plugins when the Maschine+ is in standalone mode.”

• Like Like x 3
  9. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

Unless companies start porting them over like on iOS

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Bodhi Beats

That is possible (and would be awesome!), but I would guess that NI would still play a gatekeeper role here. I don’t think a third-party developer would be able to make their plug-in work on Maschine+ standalone without a blessing and integration from NI (how would you install it? Seems like you’d have to “jailbreak” your M+ somehow). Not 100% certain on this (depends on NI’s M+ software implemention), but my hunch is that NI will always control what works on M+ and what doesn’t.

But yeah, if third-party devs are able to port their plugins to M+, that would be a really killer feature.

• Like Like x 2
  11. MilesMatrix

MilesMatrix New Member

Thank you both of you for your perspective. Will be interesting to see. On the plus side, until I have enough money saved up there might be a solution haha.

Follow up question: What happens when I start a project on the M+, then continue working on my computer where I use a third-party plugin and then continue working in stand alone mode - will the project still work in standalone, just without the plugin, or will that make the project incompatible? What do you reckon?

• Like Like x 1
  12. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

Yeah definitely, it depends on how successful the + is , how easy it is to do and the cost , profit margin etc .
    If companies can make money from it they’ll do it.

• Like Like x 2
  13. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

I’m trying to find this info out , but I suspect incompatible plugins will be deactivated, you could alway record them to an audio clip , and keep them in a separate group

• Like Like x 2
  14. MilesMatrix

MilesMatrix New Member

Ok cool that would do. Thx for the answers!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Bodhi Beats

I’m very curious about this, too. I don’t think we know for sure, yet. I’m not an MPC user, but I think I’ve read that the MPC does some clever automatic bouncing of tracks to audio to account for this (I.e. when you switch to standalone mode and a track won’t work there because of a third party plug-in, that track is converted to audio seamlessly so that you can at least play it back on standalone, if not edit it). I hope NI has come up with something along these lines.

Personally, I tend to produce beats at my computer, but then I want to perform them live (switching scenes/patterns on the fly, improvising keyboard solos, adding scratching cuts, etc. live). It’ll be important to me that all the tracks I’ve produced with my full desktop suite at least are able to play back live. Obviously I could do this work manually (bouncing to audio, etc.), but I’d love to think NI may have thought of this and have automated some of that work for me.

• Like Like x 2
  16. OhulahanBass

OhulahanBass NI Product Owner

How do you know definitely? Have you heard confirmation that there is some protections or corrections inside if the supply is insufficient? This isn't unlikely but there will be a range of operational supply still, right? What would that range be, and does it void warrantee if you use a supply other than the one that comes with it?

Keep in mind a compact 15V power bank is not supper common. Unless you have insider info I do not, I think it is more accurate to say Hypothetically it would work.

No one wants to brick their unit and be stuck with a $1.4k door stop.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Bodhi Beats

Depending on how licensing for this proprietary connector works, it may not be legally possible to sell an adaptor — even if it’s technically possible.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Scho33

Scho33 New Member

Sorry it is a bit off-topic (but I do not see a way to post a PN)... How can I colour pads (differently from each other) in keybaord mode??
    So far my Maschine Mikro (3) colours all pads in keyboard mode in the same colour as the corresponding sound (this is why I run a maschine track with 16 studio drummer instances on the different sounds just to have colour coding and full functionality before I export it to one Studio drummer track -without maschine VST- at the end).
    It would be really nice (and saving loading time) to just run one sound in maschine with Studio Drummer (or other drummer VST) and then have different colours in keyboard mode on the MM.
    (Midi mode is not an option as I lose the MM functionality, e.g. Note Repeat, I use the Midi Mode for other instances of drums with customized colours - nice but limited functionality...)

19. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

Finally, I’ve been waiting for someone to ask me how know
    Trust me ;)
    @ the moment all I can say is that it’s been used on a few different batteries for 10+ hours .

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  20. tempsperdu

tempsperdu NI Product Owner

Just right click on the sound and there's an option to choose the colour which is then taken by the pad.
    I don't know if you'll find this interesting (loading 16 instances is perhaps insane but then so is NI's routing of any and all Drum VSTs, particularly their own).
    https://www.native-instruments.com/forum/threads/abbey-drums-and-maschine-audio-routing.423073/