1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Massive X, Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Another Drop Out problem

Discussion in 'Technical Issues' started by nadavr, Mar 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nadavr

nadavr Forum Member

Have been using TS for about 5-6 months now, playing out in clubs on a weekly basis.
    I had 3 occurrences so far of the nasty garbled noise drop out -
    in my case, it just lasts a few seconds, which seem like forever, and than it continues playing normally.
    My worry is that the last 2 times this happened where a week apart, so I start to think this will be a more persistent problem than I thought.

When it happened today, it was 10 mins into a set I recorded for the radio. the recording was done via TS on the audio8, so i'm afraid that maybe the drop out was longer, and it sounds shorter on the file I recorded, because the "overload" on the system affected also TS's recording.

I never use key lock, only run TS and Mainstage in the background (triggering samples by midi).
    I run Mackbook Dual 2.16, lots of free space on the HD, all the latest drivers for Audio8 and the latest version of TS.

Here's a piece of the recording with the noisy drop out

http://www.zshare.net/audio/856309409213b7/

any help or ideas will be appreciated...

2. fella

fella NI Product Owner

Well, I'm not on a mac, but did you choose the usb port closest to the powersupply?That is the best one on a mac.
    Some mac's have an known issue with the usb ports.
    Is it possible to get the usb ports out of the safe energy mode on a mac?
    Also set your cache memory to 256 mb in TS, if you haven't done that already.

Hope this helps.

3. nadavr

nadavr Forum Member

I am using the USB port which is closer to the power supply, and also, the glitches are happening usually when the traktor is the only program running.
    I had a 6 hours set on friday night, and had 2 minor glitches again during the set, this is beginning to be really frustrating...

I re-set the cache to 256, and will go over the audio optimization guide for mac, although I was under the impression that these kind of things are less crucial on OSX than windows XP, which was my previous platform..

Thanks anyway.

4. DJ Freshfluke

DJ Freshfluke Traktor Mod Moderator

wlan, bluetooth off?

5. nadavr

nadavr Forum Member

bluetooth always off, I also disengage the airport.

6. bigbadselecta

bigbadselecta Forum Member

I thought the USB port closest to the User (=away from the power supply) is supposed to work best.....?

7. aaleks

aaleks New Member

Did you solve the problem? I have exactly the same drop outs on my Macbook. Last week I played a 4 hour set with no dropout, and yesterday a 1,5 hour set with two dropouts. Really anoying.
    Thanks in advance

8. crucial d

crucial d NI Product Owner

what latency setting do you have set, also what operating system is installed?

is it a CoreDuo or a Core2Duo processor on your machine?

9. aaleks

aaleks New Member

Core 2 Duo, with a 7ms latency
    It's installed on OSX 10.5.4 (have not updated yet)

10. aaleks

aaleks New Member

Anybody?

11. bigbadselecta

bigbadselecta Forum Member

strangely enough in my case I get less distortions if I set the frequenzy to 96 KHz. I'm also running the Audio 8 @ 7 ms and 256 ram-loading.

Give it a try and let us know!

12. aaleks

aaleks New Member

Thanks for the reply, I'm gonna try it!

13. aaleks

aaleks New Member

How strange, I've also set the frequenzy to 96KHz, and yesterday played a 4,5h gig with not a single drop out!

14. aaleks

aaleks New Member

And again, yesterday not a single drop out! So everybody with the same problem: try the step above!

15. DJ Freshfluke

DJ Freshfluke Traktor Mod Moderator

if you have a powerful mac and stress it not enough, it thinks, it can chill which leads to dropouts or other stupid things.
    therefore it's logical that it works better after raising the sample rate!

16. n3lly

n3lly Forum Member

Im getting horrible drop outs on my mac book pro (2.4ghz 2gb ram)
    I can go below 7ms really, anything near 5 and it kicks up a fuss.

CPU meter is running at around 40-50%.

A little annoyed as i was able to run Serato down to 2ms without any problems what so ever.

17. aaleks

aaleks New Member

Did your tried the earler solutions in this thread?
    Set the frequenzy to 96KHz.
    Disable the Master Tempo on the CDJ's (if you're using cd players)

18. Spyral

Spyral NI Product Owner

n3lly --> Try this:

Phase 1.)
    • Apple Menu
    • System Preferences
    • Energy Saver
    • (See Image Attachment - CLiCkiTy CLiCk!)

Phase 2.)
    Use the RIGHT SIDE USB PORT! This port is the DEFAULT built-in port, and is NOT the secondary port, unlike the one closer to the power supply plug.

Phase 3.)
    Have you tried reinstalling the Audio 8 Driver? There is a Driver Removal tool on the original CD that you can use to remove it. I suggest a restart after uninstalling, then another restart after installing. (Sorry if this was already suggested.)

Phase 4.)
    Dropkick your MBP. Just kidding. All hope is not lost. This one requires a bit of patience, and NO typographical errors!
    1.) Open "Terminal"
    2a.) Type the following commands, allowing each one to finish before moving to the next. (DOUBLE CHECK SPELLING!):
    • sudo periodic daily
    • sudo periodic weekly
    • sudo periodic monthly
    2b.) These commands will require a password to be executed. And also, BE PATIENT, as these commands CAN take some time to process. Do NOT close Terminal while these are running! I cannot stress enough that using this option is at your own discretion.

Phase 5.)
    Wouldn't hurt to check your System Diagnostic report, just to make sure nothing is going on with the MBP itself:
    • Apple Menu
    • About This Mac
    • Click "More Info..."
    • Select "Diagnostics" under the "Hardware" category.

Phase 5.) (Part 2)
    You can do a further systems check with TechTool Deluxe, which is available for free from Apple for customers under warranty. If you're unable to find it, let me know and I'll help you out.

Phase 6.)
    I know some pretty tall buildings and cliffs that might do the trick ...

Attached Files:

19. trankui

trankui NI Product Owner

the wording of this post just made my day. thank you :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.