1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Any idea how to link Battery 4 with MK3?

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by elte, Jun 24, 2019.

1. elte

elte NI Product Owner

Such a great sampler and potential is wasted, i bet there is a way but still

2. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Yes, there's a way. Samplers inside Samplers will always require MIDI routing adjustments, that's just the way it is.
    Before I go and write a huge post explaining how to do it tell me whats your purpose for Battery inside Maschine.
    Do you want to just have a 4x4 Battery grid that works with Maschine while in Pad-Mode where each Pad triggers a Cell and you build your own Battery kits by drag and drop samples into the Cells?
    or
    Do you want to load Battery Kits and have those work with Maschine Pads while in Pad Mode?
    or
    Something else?

3. elte

elte NI Product Owner

Hey, thanks for the reply.

Yes, both of reasons you pointed are valid, I got so many kits lying around and i feel it is a waste.

Also one of main reasons of getting k12 was some realshit sampler and I choose battery over polyplex as it has 4x4 grid which i am used to and I am more convinced about it.

I know there is a way to create maschine kits without external sampler but battery with its gui feel just right and I want my money to not be wasted.

I watched a yt tutorial where one guy linked pads to launch the first pad but following further instructions resulted with no effects, maybe because this tut was 4 years old and things changed since then.

So yea, I am really want to make battery my main sampler, save the template ans use it as base of my project, any help with linking both mk3 with battery is most apprectiated.

4. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

I see.
    You could also look at it the other way, your wasting money on an MK3 by not using it's internal sampler, the advantage of it over something like Battery is all settings are accessible from the Controller as soon as a Pad is active, after you're fluent with maschine it's the fastest way to make kits, while in Kontakt you need a ton of mouse clicks and menu diving.. fast and tactile control is kind of the point of the bigger maschine controllers. (mk3, mk2, studio, etc...)

Using Battery Kits with Pad Mode is tricky since it has no 4x4 limit as it meant to be used as an Instrument where all the cells are accessible from a keyboard... so that will never work in a practical way unless you use Keyboard Mode in Maschine.

I'm not going to give a full explanation to why things are like they are because that would make this already big post gigantic, eventually, I'll get a big guide thread/video out when I stop procrastinating, till then:

If you want to build your own kits with a 4x4 matrix template to use Maschine's Pad mode:
    1. Load Battery into a Pad. (Pad1 For example)
    2. Right-click the Group and select "Group MIDI Batch Setup" -> "Sounds to MIDI Notes", this makes all Pads send MIDI from C3 to D#4 chromatically. (Pad1 = C3, Pad2 = C3#, PAD3 = D3, etc, etc...)
    3. Select all Pads except Pad1 and in Sound > Output > MIDI set the Destination as Pad1 (the Pad that has Battery Loaded)
    Now you choose if you want to configure Maschine to send the MIDI notes Battery expects (A), or if you want to change what MIDI notes trigger wich cell inside Battery so it matches Maschine's output octave range set by step #2 (B).

(A) - Select a Pad and in Sound > Output > MIDI rotate the Transpose knob button while repeatedly hitting the Pad until it triggers the cell you want it to control in Battery, repeat for all Pads.

(B) - Select a Cell in Battery, click the MIDI Learn icon under "Key Range" and press the Pad you want to map to that cell twice, the range will change to that note, repeat for all Cells and Pads.
    (You can also manually type the note value in the "Key Range" or use the mouse to scroll thru notes but I find this much more annoying and time-consuming.)

Save the Group so you can later load it from the User Browser and never have to manually map the MIDI again, use it as an empty loadable template. I'll attach 2 preset Groups in this thread, one ascending and one descending.

Battery 4x4 (ascending).mxgrp
    [​IMG]

Battery 4x4 (descending).mxgrp
    [​IMG]

In both the preset Groups above all that changes is the order of the pads, you can just load it and drag and drop samples into the Battery Cells and the corresponding Maschine Pads should trigger them. There are more advanced options like setting Battery to autoload that template when it starts but again.. this is already a huge post so I'll save that for later.

Attached Files: