1. Hi everyone,

We have just announced our latest version of the Komplete bundles.

Find out more about the bundles and the newly added instruments

Komplete 13 is available for pre-order now, and will become available for download on October 1, 2020.

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

anybody else doing live sequencing/recording in ideas view? (no DAW)

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Bonus Beats, Aug 31, 2020.

1. Bonus Beats

Bonus Beats NI Product Owner

I thought of this just the other day after being spawned off by the video from LungThumpa on youtube where he shows us how to sequence and record the lock states into Maschine live via IAC bus.

I was drilling my brain again on how I could sidestep Maschines limited internal/native sequencer to I could be able to record the scenes directly into the Maschine software live when it struck me (since you can't use the IAC bus in the linear timeline to record the changes then why not do the same thing in the Ideas View instead... basically the kicker is that if you do this trick in the song view (liner timeline) then it will just jump around the timeline BUT if you do it in ideas view then it wont... the secret is that you have to make a "sequencer pattern" and insert that into every scene you plan to use before hand AND THEN record the midi information into the dedicated pattern so Maschine can remember the sequence you record live.

One downside is that you then can't export this, you would either have to play it live and record (time consuming) or reopen the project into a DAW like Ableton to export the .wav. The good thing is that eventually you will want to track out everything in a DAW so at some point you would be bouncing all those individual waves anyways.

I would do a video but I think I will just leave this post here and the ones that get it and take the time to read it can have this little bit of secret sauce.

Granted most people might say just put it into the DAW anyways to do the MIDI triggering but I have a strange OCD thing where I hate to have to working projects for one song and be bouncing back and fourth between them.. thats like having two girlfriends at once its fun at first but its gonna give you a headache at some point ;)

So lets seee a show of hands of anyone else that has already done this before.

I think it could be really nice for me since I like to bounce MP3s and then take into the real world to listen then come back and do changes BUT I have commitment issues and definitely don't like to take it out of Maschine too early. When its "close" then I like to bounce the stems and do all the crazy edits chops builds etc.

note: the auto growing of the sequencer pattern wont really work right for me for some reason when I do this hack.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
  2. BigPictureSound

BigPictureSound NI Product Owner

Improving automation is the next big win for Maschine if NI can pull it off after they release the upcoming sequencer update. I largely abandoned lock states due to the limitations and consequently work-arounds that you outlined. I have the same OCD and really try to keep my projects within one software, however, the automation issue hurts my soul. So much untapped potential.

When I actually start considering using external midi routing to trigger states, I give up and just run Maschine in Bitwig or something to automate parameters from there. It's nearly the same amount of configuration work, with the added bonus of having real automation envelope control over every parameter in Maschine

3. Bonus Beats

Bonus Beats NI Product Owner

right but you could also essentially do mute automations too with lock states inside Maschine using the hack above if you predetermine your mute states and then record them into the "sequencer pattern".

I felt the same way about routing but once you set this up and in the MIDI change menu and in the IAC bus then all it really is after that is a matter of twisting a couple knobs to set the MIDI out on the sound of the sequencer patterns sound channel.

I think with practice this could be very easy.

I literally just whipped up a simple group groove made a couple patterns and sequenced 32 bars of changes in like 15 minutes using this method. In Ableton this would have taken me about an hour lol. I could bounce the stems and use this as a very strong foundation for a good track.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020