Anyone else have a problem with knobs not moving?

Discussion in 'Building With Reaktor' started by Studiowaves, Apr 2, 2021.

1. Studiowaves

Studiowaves NI Product Owner

Every so often the knobs won't turn with the mouse. I have to right click and set a knob to default then all the knobs work. Is there some initialization problems with Reaktor 6.4?

2. Philippe

Philippe NI Product Owner

Step Size setting ?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

There are different graphic layers - zero is the lowest .. 5 is the upper layer.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Studiowaves

No, but I discovered what is causing it. I have a row of knobs that a not actually inside of the macro but they are on the screen. If I highlight the macro name it turns red. When its red the knobs don't move. So I'm suspecting it's a layering thing as though the macro is covering up the knobs. The macro says layer 2 in the view properties and right clicking over the knobs inside the macro brings up the macro properties instead of the knob properties. If I do something outside of the macro the red macro letters turn off but clicking on the knobs inside the macro the letters turn red and the knobs don't turn. It's also an empty macro, I just put it there to box in a section of knobs. In reality I took the knobs out of the macro because the cpu increases if they are inside the macro. Not sure how to change the layering on the macro nor if it will fix this. Also exactly why having the knobs inside the macro increases the cpu but it does and it really adds up with more voices.

5. Studiowaves

Is it ok to set the layer to 0 on the macro? I haven't studied that yet. Weird the knobs are on layer 4 and macro is on layer 2. But I set the macro to layer 0 and it fixed the problem.
    Can I just leave it like that?

Thanks Paul , I'm trying to wrap up this fm thing, when I get the instructions I'll show it to you. It's pretty good sounding. Do you play keyboards?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
  6. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

No - I'm no musician

7. Studiowaves

Reaktor is a pretty good hobby.

8. Studiowaves

Found it.
    upload_2021-4-2_20-31-23.png

9. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

Okay 0 .. 6

10. Studiowaves

Lol, Wasn't meaning to correct you, it happens naturally when you get my age. lol
    At least the problem was solved. Strange how the knobs were on layer 4 and the macro was on layer two. It normally does work but the knobs weren't really in the macro, so it messed up the logic. Anyway here's the instrument I've been working on for 4 months, not easy being a newbee and I hope it meets your approval. The electric pianos are not too bad but my hearing is bad so if you find the patches to be too bright let me know. As far as my hearing goes I'm good up to about 2k then I need about 15 db of boost at 8k. So that's how I have to listen to music for it to sound almost normal. I don't have any instructions on it and you'll probably get confused on a couple of things. One is the top left key tremelo. There a two switches in the middle. The top middle switch leaves a flat area between the two note breakpoints. So there is no tremelo between those notes, this is piano1. Piano 2 has the switch changed and the tremelo occurs on all notes. The key velocity determines the strength of the tremelo but the key module can increase or decrease the tremelo depending on the -+ choices. On the bottom are two levels that go to 1 , this affects how much the key note affects the detuning. There are two break points with end notes beneath them. If the strength is set to full or 1 then the pitch change maxes out at the end notes. Then the master detune is down by the volume. It needs to be up for tremelo and the default is.7, going above that is too strong for most things. Anyway I just wanted to ask if you could look it over and tell me if I did something stupid. It works like it's suppose to though but my methods are probably unconventional. So here it is, and I hope you have time to look it over. In the mean time, I'm adding info to the knobs to explain things. See ya Paule and thanks for all of your expert advise, I appreciate that!!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Studiowaves

I am about ready to put this up in the Reaktor User Library. Here's the one with the info. Please let me know if the info is understandable. Also only operator 6 on top has the info on the note level scaling. I'm getting to tired to copy and paste it 5 more times. lol I'm sorry to hear you don't play keyboards, it's a good time. Nowdays even weighted action keyboards can be bought cheap. Usually you only need to clean the key contacts under the keybed with deoxite 5 and a q tip when some keys are not working. If your interested and see one cheap I'll walk you thru the process of cleaning the contacts. It's a bit time consuming and tedious but well worth it. Somebody actually gave me a keyboard and I fixed it up. How cool is that....

Attached Files:

12. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

sample rate 33 kHz and cpu power around 70%
    you has to optimize your ens at once

13. colB

colB NI Product Owner

He has the voices set to 30, just reduce it to a sensible number and it's not quite so bad :rolleyes:

Studiowaves
    Just a thought, if you are putting this up in the UL and want folk to use it, you really need way more, and better snapshots. Even with simple easy to program stuff like subtractive synths, folk seem to value presets over everything except maybe a fancy IP infringing GUI.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

Colin, here are 18 voices not 30
    upload_2021-4-5_3-35-54.png

15. Studiowaves

Yeh, unfortunately I agree. The problem with the snapshots is making them. It's a very time consuming process but also fun to create that perfect patch. If someone really wants to use it they can make their own patches. I was going to set up an area in the forum for patch exchanges and just tell people about it. Is the forum a good place for that? I added more info in the atached file. Think I got it all covered.

Attached Files:

16. Studiowaves

Sorry Paule, FM is like additive synthesis, It's very cpu intensive by nature. You can even set the clock to 22k as it's rare for these sound to produce over 10k. Modern hot rod computers can do it but not mine. Of course using 1 core doesn't help either. I guess if you had a daw you could split up the notes on different tracks and set the clock higher with fewer voices. Once the tracks are recorded as wavefiles on different track then recombine the individual tracks. Sounds like the tricks the beatles had to use don't it. Sometimes we have to make do to get by. Isn't that neat seeing the algorithms we made. Well , time for Easter dinner. Talk later

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
  17. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

So here are my 2 cents.
    4 voice 44 kHz 22% cpu max unison 2
    But if you want to play fifth chords it's not enough

Attached Files:

18. Studiowaves

Thanks for showing me this Paule, Now I see how the unison works. Change the spread and the voice detunes, the low notes have slower beating and the high notes beat faster.
    FM12 doesn't work that way. It 's designed to have an endless variety of beating. Several things affect the detuning, key velocities, notes, and the 6 pitch envelope generators. Depending on your setting both low and high notes can even beat at the same rate if desired. I know you don't have a keyboard to play with but if you did the inter complexities of all the different subtle changes in vibrato and tremolo are pretty nice. It's a whole different ballgame compared to using 1 lfo to globally modulating the entire sound. Unfortunately it requires a lot of CPU. Luckily I have 2 computers and this program eats 95% of it's cpu with 32 voices. But it still doesn't make it unusable, I like what you did with the unison voices, sounds pretty cool. Have a look at flute 2. I set the unit back to 4 voices with no unison voices yet we have flexible vibrato. Watch the scopes , when the waveform walks to the left the pitch is detuned down. When it walks to the right the pitch is detuned up. Of course, a stable pitch doesn't walk. On flute 2 the vibrato is strong at the beginning of the note and weak as it decays. The pitch envelope generators are doing this. Sweet.... as they say. have fun. Try to design a patch someday, I'd like to hear it, it's good for the soul. Talk later.
    Al

Attached Files:

19. colB

colB NI Product Owner

No it isn't
    No it isn't

• Like Like x 1
  20. Studiowaves

LOL I know FM isn't additive synthesis, but they are both cpu intensive compared to subtractive synthesis. I suppose additive could be done with supercomputers at NASA using AI. That would be interesting.