Anyone had dealings with Wavelore Instruments?

Discussion in 'Third-Party Sample Libraries' started by coolhouse912, Sep 15, 2012.

1. don1thedon

don1thedon NI Product Owner

Eventually received a DL link today from Mark (along with an apology), looks like we are back in business!

2. LST123

LST123 New Member

I purchased Wavelore Pedal Steel Guitar July 9th and paid $150 through PayPal. Got a PayPal confirmation. I shortly received a welcome letter from Mark Belbin containing links to download the software. After downloading it would only run as a demo and then time out. Attempts to register the software through Service Center failed because I was never given any serial #. I have written at least ten emails to Wavelore at their various email addresses and gotten zero replies. I like the software and want to use it in production. I wish they would reply to me and give me some help.

3. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Moderator Moderator

LST123 - Wavelore instruments are not Kontakt Player libraries, they don't come with serial number. You need to use the full version of Kontakt to use them without limits.

Read the NOTE on this page of the website: http://www.wavelore.com/shop.php

4. LST123

LST123 New Member

EvilDragon,

I have Kontakt 4. Isn't that a "full version" or am I confused?

5. EvilDragon

If when you open the NKI it's marked DEMO, you have Kontakt 4 Player, not full version of Kontakt.

6. LST123

LST123 New Member

Thanks EvilDragon,

Guess I have the player. I just bought Kontakt I Full Version pretty cheap. Hopefully that will play the files ok.

7. EvilDragon

Kontakt 1 won't be good:

PLEASE NOTE: All Wavelore Instruments products are designed for Native Instruments Kontakt 2 or higher, with the exception of The Clavichord, Ether-Phone and Glide: Resonator Slide Guitar, all of which require Kontakt 4 or 5. If you do not have the full version of one of these samplers, you will not be able to use our products. Please note that this list of compatible programs does not include the free Kontakt player or the demo version of Kontakt which is included. Our libraries will work in the free Kontakt Player demo, but will time out after twenty minutes!

Seems like you haven't read that note good enough. You will have to upgrade Kontakt 1 to Kontakt 5 (NI doesn't offer upgrades to older versions of Kontakt, just the most recent one).

8. LST123

LST123 New Member

I re-read the note yesterday and realized that Kontakt 1 Full version would not do the trick so I haven't paid for it.

Went looking for a Full Version Kontakt 2,3 or 4 for cheap but haven't found one yet.

9. Kevin63101

Kevin63101 NI Product Owner

Has anyone had received Glide 2 updates since the 1 RR release in Oct 2012?

Great product as is, but was hoping to see the full 8xRR version now that a year since the release date has passed. I've tried to follow up, but no response. :S

10. don1thedon

don1thedon NI Product Owner

Nope the last I saw from Wavelore was last October, no updates since unfortunately ....

11. cvann

cvann New Member

I placed an order with Wavelore several weeks ago and have sent numerous emails but have received no response, no link to download the product (Glide II), no nothin'. I've filed a claim with PayPal to get my money back, but I'm distraught because I use the Wavelore pedal steel CONSTANTLY and was eagerly anticipating the Glide II.

Guess I'm just wondering, has anyone heard from the company since September in any fashion? I'm willing to give the developer more time if he would just reply to an email asking for it.

12. EvilDragon

Unfortunately, no. I hope everything is OK with Mark, but this kind of unavailability usually makes me think that there's some kind of family situation or illness that might be the problem...

13. morgonte

morgonte New Member

I'm sorry to say but I have competely lost confidence in Wavelore and Mark. It is such a pity as the guy makes these wonderful sampled instruments and then he doesn't care to deliver when people buy them. Whatever the reason Mark has had plenty of time to get things right. I am still waiting since Aug 2012 for the full 8 round robin version of Glide II. I have got a 1 RR version which is indeed good, but not what he promised. He still say's on wavelore.com that he has the full version for sale, but this is just not true.

Unfortunately this comes down to the following conclusion:

DON'T DEAL WITH WAVELORE! THEY'RE NOT TO TRUST!!!

14. EvilDragon

As said - I hope Mark is not very ill, but it sure looks like that might be the case... If you're very ill, you don't have "plenty of time to get things right".

15. Roger1851

Roger1851 New Member

I experienced the same with Wavelore Instruments and Mark Belbin. I ordered and paid for Wavelore Steel Guitar three weeks ago but never heard anything from this company. Though Mr.Belbin does not react to any email nor phonecall the wavelore website is dated up continually. So the special offer for Wavelore Steel Guitar was limited to the 1st October when I bought it. Looking at the Wavelore website today will show you that this special offer expires on Dec 1st. If I had only read the entries in this forum, I would never have ordered anything at Wavelore Instruments. I have reported that case to PayPal hoping to get my money back at least.

16. morgonte

morgonte New Member

Must be a strange kind of illness, that allows him to continually update his web site, but not to deliver his products to people who bought them AND payed for them.

Since I last visited wavelore.com someone has put up a player for demo songs and taken away the support forum. The last is kind of understandable since the forum was full of complaints from people not getting what they payed for....

/DON'T DEAL WITH WAVELORE! THEY'RE NOT TO TRUST!!!

17. Kevin63101

Kevin63101 NI Product Owner

I became a Wavelore user when Mark had a fundraising effort to help an ill friend with treatments -- he sold all his libraries for a fraction of the price to help. Incredible character that I respect to this day.

Recognizing the outstanding quality of those, I bought ALL of his new releases. Great service and amazing quality. I have recommended Wavelore to many.

Unfortunately the 2012 Glide II release process was sloppy and is still incomplete (1 RR) and there hasn't been ANY communication now for a full year. Great product, but not the 8 RR product he's advertising to this day. I've sent many requests thru various channels -- no response. He's a member of this forum and other forums -- no posts on status. And yes, his website is quarterly updated for new sales cycles -- most recent update this month.

A year is too long not to post an update announcement on his own web page if there were a problem. I understand how a one man company can have delays -- personal or business -- but no communication?? I'd even deal with an announcement that Glide II will remain 1RR, offer a credit toward a future product and change his Glide II product description -- but nothing like that has occurred for one year. That's just wrong.

Further there's newer customers that don't have any of the previous good experience I've had.

Sad to say, I've lost confidence to lay out future money or to recommend. No ill will. I've personally benefited enough previously to offset this last lapse. He's a very skilled programmer and seems like a great guy in many other respects. IMO his best bet would be to fully develop a library prior to release, then have an established respected VST retailer handle the sales side. If he did that and restored his reputation, I might buy -- his products are excellent.

Mark: I'm sorry to see things went this way. I truly wish you the best in your future endeavors.

18. cvann

cvann New Member

Just wanted to post that I heard back from Mark. He's working on developing an automated responses system, so I'm hopeful that the lag in response will not be an issue anymore. These are remarkable instruments.

19. hollowsun

hollowsun Forum Member

Just tell him to hook up with Payladz (or other on-line reseller ... there are several). That would just take care of it all and he could set the whole thing up in less than an afternoon. For Payloadz...

* PROS
    - They take care of everything. You 'Create Product', nominate a price, click 'Submit', you are taken to a page where you are asked to upload the file, select the .ZIP, wait for it to upload, when done, you are taken to a page where you are given the HTML for the 'Buy' (or 'Add To Cart') button - copy and paste that into your webpage. Upload time aside, takes minutes.

- They host the files which means they handle bandwidth (the expensive bit of web siting and making large downloads available).

- It is very reliable - 24/7 up-time. I've had about three glitches in 8 or 9 years and they were resolved very quickly.

- Tech support is good.

- They've been doing it for ages so have refined and improved it to make it all a very transparent process

- Once you've created/uploaded a product, that's it - everything just takes care of itself and you don't have to be there or do anything. You can be away, asleep, developing a new product, whatever, and it keeps on working.

- Customer interaction to buy is just pretty much two button clicks - one to buy and then one in the email link you are sent to download your purchase.

- Customer typically receives the email download link in a few minutes.

- Excellent stats facilities for monitoring sales, trends, etc..

- Once you get used to it, it's pretty straightforward to use.

* CONS
    - They take a small percentage for each sale. Can't remember what now but small. Worth bearing in mind, though, that if you try and roll your own automated system and host the files yourself, you will have to pay for the bandwidth so kind of six of one, half a dozen of the other, swings and roundabouts and all that.

To show fairness, other online re-selling services work much the same way, some better than others.

I started using PayLoadz eight or nine years ago ... maybe more - one of the best things I ever did.

There's been a food and drink festival where I am in the Vale Of Glamorgan, Wales. It's an annual event. Great fun - artisan brewers, bakers, cheese makers ... local butchers who make their own sausages, pies, f a g g o t s (*), rissoles, , cure their own bacon ... people who hand smoke their own fish and so on ... and bands and local musicians playing everything from rock to reggae to trad folk. How is this relevant? Well, I've been out all weekend and sales just took care of themselves while I was out enjoying myself with some friends in a 16th century pub with a locally brewed beer! :cool:

Jeeez ... handling every order manually (assuming that's what Mark did)? Life's too short

FWIW, I have no affiliation with Payloadz at all ... just a satisfied customer. Mark could no a lot worse than to have a look at it ... or other similar services

-----------------------------------------------

(*) Interesting censorship. Apart from the modern connotations, here in the UK, a f a g g o t is a kind of meaty dumpling - a meatball - made from offal ... liver, onions, herbs, onion, bacon pieces, seasoning and so on. We've had them here for - what? - 1,000 years or more. Peasant food making the most of and using all of the slaughter.

F a g g o t (here in the UK) is also a bundle of sticks used for fuel ... kindling for a log fire, for example.

One can also f a g g o t (verb) a bundle of sticks and it's also a term used in embroidery.

On the interwebs, it's a censored word.

Just as a matter of interest if you're curious, we used to use 'pimps' to get a fire started, add to that some f a g g o t s to get the fire really going and then logs for longevity of the fire.

Curious how language develops

20. morgonte

morgonte New Member

Well, let's see what happens... I don't believe Mark is a crook, his behaviour is simply too counterproductive (Not finishing a product, taking the money offered for pre-ordering is not fair, but makes some profit. Not delivering already finished products to people who've ordered them and payed for them is downright stupid.). He has also shown generosity to some few people that has managed to reach him with complaints.
    But I believe he's got his head up in the air, very much choosing which part of reality he likes to take in and simply ignoring facts that he finds troublesome. Of course that one cannot run a business under those circumstances is one fact that he chooses to ignore...
    It's really a pity, cause he's such a talented guy and could do so well if he could just deliver what he promises...