Anyone know what happened to Elektron over the years?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Rabbitfrog, Jun 11, 2021.

1. Rabbitfrog

Rabbitfrog NI Product Owner

Saw a post from Cenk a while back saying he is stopping working for Elektron and then mentioned how almost all the original company people already left. I used to be a huge Elekton fan, but then moved away from hardware to software so I sold all my gear and stopped following. So the news kind of caught me off guard. I also saw a few comments saying how this was something they say happening due to changes being made within company.

Anyway, I am not really looking for flame posts, but if anyone knows ho the company changed over the years I am curious to know. I stopped paying attention right as they launched MK.II versions of A4 and AR.

• Like Like x 1
  2. JesterMgee

JesterMgee NI Product Owner

It's a common thing when companies begin to grow, priorities change often due to investors and profits and this kind of either starts to kill creative process because it introduces a lot of red tape and slows things down, or it makes things far more efficient and culls out all the "fat" that are just riding the companies success.

It would be a difficult balancing act these days with music hardware and software. There are loads of potential customers (far more than there were a few decades ago) but there is also a complete flood of fancy/flashy products bidding for that dollar and no sooner does a company like Electron release a very solid and beautiful piece of hardware, you then have your Akai's, Native Instruments and the like release similar hardware.... but with more flashy lights and cheaper prices. So you are then forced to also compete with software and of course the original guys were probably more hardware oriented but are now being asked to focus on a new software based sampler or something that is no fun to design.

Links to what you may have heard would be handy as I haven't really heard much. I don't follow Elektron much, was very keen to get an Octatrack when it first released but the cost was a bit of a hurdle for something I would really just noodle on. The latest versions look great, very good quality and a stack of cool features.... but then you have Maschine+ which seems capable of much of the same things plus a full drum sequencer and ability to load instruments etc for $1000 less. If I was after something these days to do some sampling and sequencing outside a DAW I would probably be choosing an M+ or whatever the Akai one is (as it integrated direct with Ableton too) but I don't have much time for these kinds of toys these days, would love to be 20 years younger again

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Rabbitfrog

Rabbitfrog NI Product Owner

Not much

https://gearspace.com/board/electro...production/1350962-cenk-leaving-elektron.html

https://www.reddit.com/r/Elektron/comments/n2o1nv/anyone_catch_datalines_instagram_postsounds/

I do not have anything else, but the first link shares the same post that Cenk shared across all platforms. The rest I am afraid is nothing but speculation. I find it hard to believe that Elektron would switch to software-as-a-service platform.

The truth is whatever changes may come could be the desire of fans. When I bought my first Elektron gear, I was kind of surprised to see how many people demanded Overbridge. And I didn't understand why. What was the point of buying an expensive standalone hardware synthesizer in order to have it become a "slave" instrument in a DAW? Constant posts for years (at least once per week if not more often) demanding software integration. It finally got to me. Once I was talking with someone and was telling them how much gear I have, in response the guy told me that hardware is a lot of fun, it's an amazing feeling to twist knobs and press buttons and have the sound come out. But then he told me about Reaktor and that for a price of a cheap hardware synthesizer you get a whole modular studio where you get to design your own synths. I finally couldn't take it anymore. I read a lot of posts about how limiting hardware is, you eventually end with everything sounding like that synth, and if you want more you need to buy more gear. And no matter how much better analog is, it all ends up in a computer anyway. I can understand if it were the 90s and you had analog recording, analog mixing, analog mastering and analog playback...

In any case, today's consumers sometimes don't realize what they are doing, they demand things and then get surprised why is the company becoming a "service". "I want this..." means you are demanding service.

Maybe Elektron is in a weird place, they are too big to be a small company and too small to be a big company.