anyone try Kontakt 6 on an M1 mac yet...

Discussion in 'KONTAKT' started by ntula, Jul 25, 2021.

1. ntula

ntula NI Product Owner

anyone try Kontakt 6 on an M1 mac yet.... anything to watch out for...

i just installed maschine and the komplete effects and it runs well, infact, it even runs in Logic with logic not in rosetta mode if you install the rosetta for logic options for plug-ins...

2. ntula

ntula NI Product Owner

i was going to try the lite player version of 6 first but Native access will not let download that since i own the full version... I would have thought the simple player version would have been native ARM/M1 from day one since it has been over a year since apple seeded M! macs to developers with big sur on them and all of the kontakt libraries require kontakt.. it sucks i cannot even use the samples with logic built in sampler while waiting... once i start using the logic/apple samples in projects, it is goodbye NI for those as apple has some very good equivalent samples = great bosendorfer piano... etc...

3. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Moderator Moderator

Kontakt Player is exactly the same code as full Kontakt, so they go hand in hand, it's not the case that Player is simpler so it gets the update first.

At any rate, NI is working on Apple Silicon support across the whole product portfolio, so stay tuned. There are certain dependencies that need to be sorted out in case of Kontakt (for example, zplane Elastique timestretching and REX loops support are third party libraries that need to support ARM first, it doesn't make sense to update Kontakt for ARM without those, it wouldn't work).

4. ntula

ntula NI Product Owner

oh, i did not realize it was the same app with just the advanced editing features "disabled"..... it would have been nice to have a simple player with no editing capacity to just load the samples while waiting...

i am just trying to find out if there are any surprises if you install kontakt 6 on an M1... like beyond not loading correct where it affects the OS to the point of affecting other apps and OS stability even when not in use.

had to update asap to a new m1, so i am frustrated... even my boss and canon devices do not work with it... and those are simple things..

anyone have any imput on using "unsupported" kontakt 6.6 with an M1...

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
  5. EvilDragon

Ha, those are the pains of Apple early adopters, I guess... For some companies it can take up to a year (or even more) to get onboard with things...

6. ntula

ntula NI Product Owner

yah, when i got it. it seemed from the vids and reviews it was going to be a quick transition given the performance efficiency potential...

7. EvilDragon

It's never that easy. Especially with Apple. :)