Anyone using Maschine to make stuff other than Hip Hop or House/Techno?

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by puzzlefactory, Oct 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. puzzlefactory

puzzlefactory NI Product Owner

I just bought a Maschine the other day to give me another method of working other than linear computer sequencing. Obviously as it's moddeled after an MPC it has roots buried in Hip Hop and House (I use the term house to encompass all the 4/4 dance genres).

I'm more interested in Drum and Bass and Dubstep, I really loved the Mr.Invisible DnB jam and I saw Magnetic Man using it for a Dubstep track on Radio 1. I was just wondering who else out there is using it for other genres of dance music?

2. sowari

sowari Moderator Moderator

nice to see you here after seeing you in the Reaktor Forum :)

there have been Threads and Posts about Drum n Bass and Dubstep, maybe do a search ;)

there was also a Wonky Thread - which you should find if you put Wonky in the search engine.

is there a link to Magnetic Man that you mention?

fwiw, i have used Maschine for Hip Hop and Dubstep stuff, and a few techno sketches.

sowari

3. puzzlefactory

Cheers mate, I'll do a search when I get on my computer (on my iPhone at the moment).

To be perfectly honest in the radio one thing I didn't actually see a Maschine, but I did see a sticker on one of their laptops, so I assumed that they are using one. Here's the link anyway.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00bfz12

4. awol9000

awol9000 NI Product Owner

I use it mainly for dubstep/drumstep & DnB. I've been getting some great basslines out of Maschine.

5. AikiGhost

AikiGhost NI Product Owner

I use it to make experimental Gitch & IDM and also Industrial music, But I also have a soft spot for techno and minimal.

Plus I love the real hip hop but Im just not "street" enough to make it :lol: Though I used to be a breakdancer back in the day :)

6. sowari

i know what you mean ;)

and i was also too middle class to ever want to breakdance :lol:

sowari

7. zakflaps

zakflaps New Member

is maschine only good for hip-hop/dance/techno etc...?
    i myself like electonic/pop/rock and thought it may be useful also for that
    type of music also...

8. specialjustin1

specialjustin1 Forum Member

Man that footage just makes me sick. Such a waste of talent. Artwork is one of my favourite producers and he has reduced himself to the status of a bum!

9. ew

ew Moderator Moderator

Maschine, like any other instrument out there, isn't genre-specific. Any other interpretation is just narrow-mindedness.

ew

10. puzzlefactory

True, but it's naive to think that this wasn't targeted towards the hip hop market (I mean just look at all the endorsement videos on this website, they are all hip hop producers). Most of the videos I've seen on you tube involving the Maschine are hip hop (with a few housey/techno/minimal ones).

Anyway, the point of this thread wasn't to declare this a hip hop only instrument, but to find out what other types of music people here are making with it. ;)

11. zakflaps

zakflaps New Member

ew was only answering a question i asked...maybe i sort of hijacked the thread...sorry about that...i think he has a point though...when you think about it, drums etc (be it hip-hop or whatever) can be put into any genre of music you want, to form new genres possibly!

12. soosh21

soosh21 Forum Member

Im making mostly eletronic/post-dubstep/hiphop/idm type stuff. I know Mount kimbie use it a lot, and is main part of their live set up. Check youtube for vids.

13. Frace

Frace Forum Member

I once made a Breakbeat Track with a Friend but that's about it :D

14. sowari

just a quick look at some Mount kimbie vids and the recording is a bit lofi. are there any good quality vids of their live performances that you know of?

sowari

15. nepotist

nepotist Forum Member

16. soosh21

soosh21 Forum Member

Ive been having a look for some, most are lofi as you say...... heres a few links to check out, and a live performance and interview at bestival-skip the first 4 mins its mostly boring chat! Its only a stripped down version of their live performance but its a good recording! You should try catch these guys live, they're touring all over right now.

a little bit lo fi again- [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_iH5hGF210"]YouTube - Mount Kimbie's live set at the Boiler Room #29 for the Young Turks takeover[/ame]

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPEluZE1T3k&feature=related[/ame] skip first few mins of chat!

How do you attach a link when using a mac? i had to write out whole address as forum does let me copy on paste in here!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  17. sowari

thanks for this, much better in terms of audio quality than the stuff i was finding :lol:

the copt n paste has worked for me in the past on my Mac. i haven't tried it for a whole though.

anyway, i like their music, i'll check them out a bit more!

sowari

18. JahmB_Products

JahmB_Products New Member

19. THE WIDOWMAKER

THE WIDOWMAKER NI Product Owner

Mainly DnB, Dubstep, chilled electronica, it WILL MAKE anything you like, or can ! Hell, me and the missus even remixed some Bon Jovi (dont laugh :) ) and Nine inch Nails straight in the box without VST support.......

20. herbee

herbee Forum Member

I want to make Disco with it - straight up.

I haven't bought yet and I'm sat here trawling through the forum reading about it.

Though I think this maybe what I'm looking for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.