1. Hi everyone,

We have just announced our latest version of the Komplete bundles.

Find out more about the bundles and the newly added instruments

Komplete 13 is available for pre-order now, and will become available for download on October 1, 2020.

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Anyone waiting for Summer of Sound 2019 sale? - IT'S HERE!

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by LoveEnigma, May 16, 2019.

1. lwj|localspace

lwj|localspace NI Product Owner

Maybe you don't.. I think a lot of people do. Especially beginners and people that don't feel too secure about their music.
    I'm not attacking anyone here... I suppose even NI heads to where they think they can have the most success.. but with how things are going, they probably won't find me in that corner.
    I'm also not saying: 'don't buy anything... all you need is a clothes hanger, oil drum a good pipe of crack.. because like rock 'n roll and whatever!!!!'
    I GAS with the best of em. I actually spent a whole lot on music equipment the past couple of months.

What I am saying is that, when spending (and looking at it objectively, because we're all super objective right?), NI isn't such an enticing proposition anymore. Sale or no sale (does anybody even buy anything outside of sales anymore???) They're just not the most amazing products, or the most amazing deals anymore. It's not, oh **** this is the cutting edge right here.. it all feels dumbed down, commodified, paint-by-numbers.. whatever you want to call it. Komplete is becoming the happy meal deal. If I was running NI I'd be worried about that.. maybe not short term. Unless that's actually the strategy.. become the Mac Donald's of music making.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

Maybe it has also something to with your perspective after many years of making music. Then there is no really new stuff comming or absolutely rare? Also other Vendors don't have something really new to offer since years. If you mean that.

Like if you start to play guitar - there are many to choose and amps and stomp boxes..... But if you later can play really good it is all just tools and you would sound good with just a decent guitar and an amp. It depends then also on you and to keep excitement.

Uwe

• Like Like x 3
  3. Old Mike

Old Mike NI Product Owner

Yes, I did, although it was mostly second hand ;)

I think it all depends what you are after and for what do you use it. I know what you mean when you say, that it is not the cutting edge (anymore) or, let's say, "industry standard" as vendors often call their products.

This might is not necessarily caused of their products; maybe it is the vastly growing market and the competition that relates and divides. And of course the evolution of the technical progress.

Just think about Waves; 10 or 15 years ago they have been the "standard" and their products were expensive as hell. Now they are on sale the whole year :rolleyes:

That doesn't mean they are bad; but just got forgotten besides the new standards ;) I use some of them regularly.

And of course, it depends on what you are after and if you are somebody who has to pay his bills from making music or somebody, just uses this as a hobby.

In the end, you get what you pay for, a broad range from everything.

And once more in our time, you have the luxurious and often painful choice, what, when and how much do you really need.

:)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Old Mike

And I would prefer an approach of accounts as Uwe stated above, too. Maybe in the manner of Fabfilter. If you buy one plugin in, you get discounts for their others, the more you spent, the higher the discount

• Like Like x 2
  5. LoveEnigma

LoveEnigma NI Product Owner

Every company has their own way of selling individual plugins and bundles, and I like the way NI is doing for its products.

• Like Like x 1
  6. tempsperdu

tempsperdu NI Product Owner

Last year I nearly bought the Symphony Series but it would have left me a bit broke so for them to do an upgrade version that included it for the same price was quite a boon and I'm certainly not complaining. Other wise I feel the K11 to K12 upgrades were pretty poor which is probably why all the included expansions (plus so as to appeal to 'new' users').
    As others have said you don't have to upgrade and it could be said it is possibly a tad patronising to think that people are so slavish.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Stephen Bish

Stephen Bish NI Product Owner

Had to laugh at the "McDonalds of music" comment. You know in a lot of ways I think that's spot on. I mean, for one thing, if I were the manager of NI and my products were making as stable an income as McDonalds are making from fast food then I would be pretty happy. Also, and this is a Very big thing in making my decision to upgrade, I bought Maschine 18 months ago and so far have bought only 2 expansions. Both using vouchers from other purchases making them about 1/2 price. Now that alone fits the "discount on additional purchase" model. Bottom line is I have never bought music software at full RRP. Only Ever when it's on sale, often at like 90% off. I have waited a long time for my next upgrade and yes I have not purchased yet. I am a pensioner and currently miles from home on the gem fields in Central Queensland Australia. Good local internet via phone so I will initially just download a few expansions at a time. Have my Maschine with me, along with guitars, MacBook, Moog etc. Point it there are no 2 people in this forum with exactly the same set of circumstances or motivations. We are all unique and individuals. I also assume we are all customers of NI, which is, all said and done, a business out to sell a product at a profit. Good luck to them. I hope they continue to do so and continue to make products that attract me. Lots of new "McHappy Meals"

• Like Like x 2
  8. tempsperdu

In theory the 'new improved Native Instruments' is to appeal as much across the board as possible but I imagine having got those luverly shiny new equity people 'on board' that plans to maximise revenue were pursued with no lack of gusto. And of course how do you easily increase revenue but by increasing numbers hence the appeal to 'hobbyists' who never even knewded they could be hobbyists. Beat making as this decades web design.
    OK nothing particularly bad about that but in theory the idea was also to cater to the more 'erudite' users as well which so far seems to be trapped inside what may be an imaginary incubator. So maybe not the McDonalds quite but hopefully McDonalds with a gourmet section. Of course that may never happen and so far it's QED innit.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Old Mike

I am much more relaxed about this issues ;)

Nobody has to marry Native Instruments.

I understand that some customers might not be happy with the way things changed in the past. So is life, things are changing; constantly.

For me, personally, it is a matter of what I prefer and like. I owned several products from NI in the past and decided one day to get divorced ;)

But then, after some month I really missed the controllers and software, so I came back and I am still happy with it.

It's your decision. It is up to your expectations, your kind of needs.

For me, life is too short to be annoyed about something I could easily get rid off. I'd rather act sooner than later. If it sucks, it has to go.

And I must say, I am very happy with the K12U, although I couldn't explore all the content yet. Payed €250, this is a steal.

• Like Like x 2
  10. lwj|localspace

lwj|localspace NI Product Owner

“You don’t have to upgrade...”
    Well duh. Thanks for the input, guys.. that hadn't occurred to me.

But I did upgrade, massively, think ‘entire new setup’. Just not with NI. That’s the point I’m making. Its more than a decision to not spend money, it’s a decision to spend it elsewhere... to move out of Maschine as my main production platform. Not an easy (or cheap) decision to make. Not for me at least. It also means abandoning a lot of the work I put in on Maschine. Investing time in learning a new DAW... So can I please have some sense of disillusion and disappointment here?

That doesn’t mean I’m mad or sour. Just miss the old NI. If people feel the need to start defending their own purchasing decisions against mine, that is kinda funny... like, who exactly are you trying to convince? But also entirely not the point. I’m just stating my reasoning, not even trying to convince anyone to do what I do. In fact, I’d rather you not, get your own gig :p Note that I’m not urging anyone to ditch NI and buy Akai, Ableton or Elektron or whatever. Real men use Fastracker anyways.

11. Old Mike

I respect your decision and I am not defending myself for what I do and what I like. You have your opinion, I have mine. Its is not scientology here.

For me, I am far away from convincing somebody, I just expressed my point of view.

But what you did here was telling people that they are buying crap and implying indirectly, or even directly, that they are stupid if they do so.

You did that in a forum, where people have other opinions because they are fine with NI products and have fun with it. For them (us), it works fine and they are happy with that. Adults, who made their decisions, more or less wisely.

But, what did you expect? In this thread, where people were excited many days to get something, they have fun with?

Of course, everybody can (thank god or whom else) express his opinion. It all depends on choosing the right words.

Nobody was "defending" their purchasing decision; and I am not aware of somebody who tried to convince you to please buy the NI stuff.

In fact, you did say that this is all crap and to buy it is stupid. You did not say: "This is a crappy product, and I would be stupid, if I would buy this"

I believe, that most of us don't use only NI stuff. The difference is: we are mostly happy with it.

It might be a matter of language irritations.

And yes, of course you can be disillusioned and disappointed.

• Like Like x 2
  12. tempsperdu

I think you'll find few people on this board who are 'happy' with NI at the moment and patricularly the lack of development with Maschine software. Whilst the controllers could be better they actually are IMHO better than a lot of the competition, particularly Maschine.
    The Kontakt libraries and Kontakt itself are useful for more than just the NI eco system so any investment you have made shouldn't be totally lost.
    Many here are totally frustrated with NI and their seeming less than tortoise speed sense of development but it isn't because they think the eco system is useless but that it's focus is perhaps a tad misplaced and that they are not taking the products to where most on here would like them to go which would actually be a much improved eco system.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Old Mike

As this isn't my point either. Just to let you know :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Old Mike

I just installed the neutron 3 demo out of curiosity what it would do with one of my (really unfinished) mixes. I tested the level balance function.

The result was totally crap. I do not know if I did something wrong (I suppose not), but it sounded totally awful.

I did not expect much, but this was kind of funny :p

15. tempsperdu

So you'll just have to upgrade to at least standard then............................:D:D

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. telecode101

telecode101 NI Product Owner

The decision to move over to another vendor is a decision you made. It is what it is. No right or wrong choices. But I think ultimately every usually buys into an ecosystem of some sort by some vendor and you become a brand loyalist or repeat buyer. The way the different vendors put features.and functionality into their hardware and software so it works more seamlessly together is the value added to the decision.

Re the price of upgrade of Komplete. I think a lot depends on what you already have. I agree, a lot of the bundle is software that's been around for many years. If I was already had K 10 or K 11, it might be a tricky decision. In my case, I just has Select so most of it is stuff I don't have. So worth it for me. We shall see what gets concocted by NI for K13 or K14.

Fwiw.. I did take a very serious look at the Akai offerings earlier this year. It seemed more targeted towards hip hop and seemed a little half baked compared to NI Maschine. Definitely more features and functionality at the cost of stability. I may be wrong, but thats the impression I got.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Old Mike

Haha, I demoed the advanced version.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. tempsperdu

The sound you now hear is not someone rolling around on the floor in hysterical laughter................. honest!:D

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. kaotik78

kaotik78 NI Product Owner

Thanks for all your help!

It arrived yesterday!

That moment before you double and then triple check before breaking the seal on the box!

There were stickers inside!

Only thing to sort out now is how to install the symphony series on a different HDD separate from the current HDD I am using to install on as I have a fresh 2TB drive in another bay ready to use.

20. Old Mike

Set the library/ content path to the desired hard drive. Install only the symphony series. After that, change the path again to where you want the rest to be installed. Install. Have fun ;)

• Like Like x 2