1. MacOS 12 (Monterey) is officially out. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status in our knowledge base area

If you have any questions or feedback about this update, please use the thread - here

Dismiss Notice

Apple's macOS 12 Monterey Compatibility

Discussion in 'Computer Technology and Setup' started by Kaiwan @ NI, Oct 26, 2021.

1. Kaiwan @ NI

Kaiwan @ NI NI Team NI Team

Hi everyone, today Apple's macOS 12 Monterey has arrived and I want to share the news with you that our developers here are currently deep into testing to make sure that all NI products are compatible with the new operating system. As soon as we know more about all products' full macOS 12 Monterey compatibility, I'll update again so you have more information before you upgrade.

Since the questions about M1 chip compatibility will inevitably come up, I'd also like to take this opportunity to reassure you that the full compatibility of NI products on computers with Apple Silicon processors is the first priority on our road map. I appreciate your patience as our development team (and Apple's) work through the issues!

Feel free to check out our macOS 12 Monterey compatibility statement here:
    https://support.native-instruments....737-macOS-12-Monterey-Compatibility-Statement

• Like Like x 9
  2. Matt @ NI

Matt @ NI NI Team NI Team

First post and straight on the big topic - thank you and welcome Kaiwan :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. nanotable

nanotable NI Product Owner

So, has anyone been brave enough to test Monterey on a M1 Mac with NI‘s tools anyway?

4. Tomboman

Tomboman New Member

Thanks for the option to talk here with someone from NI - I do have 3 specific questions - It would be awesome to get an answer

1. Are you planning Monterey support only when all products are supported? Or are you starting with a products and adding more?

2. (Most important question) About Apple Silicon: You say it is a first priority - Does it mean that you finally will support it natively as universal? Or is only Rosetta 2? (I check the support page several times a week, but no change since August 31st, and only Rosetta compatibility, not even for all
    Usually Waves are the last ones to support something, but they are not Apple Silicon natively since V13 which was released a few weeks ago.

3. I would love to see Kontakt first as an Apple silicon native App. I have so many libraries. That would help me so much in my workflow

I do have a M1 Max Macbook Pro - I would love to help you beta test Kontakt as a universal app

Thank you very much!

• Like Like x 1
  5. tricade

tricade NI Product Owner

6. Kaiwan @ NI

Hey Tomboman, thanks for the questions!
    1. We usually start to add some products once the testing is done and continue to add more as we go.
    2. Definitely native support! Once we're ready to declare full compatibility, there'll be no need for Rosetta 2.
    3. Kontakt should be the first one to go native. [​IMG]
    Awesome that you wanna be part of our beta test. You can usually find an announcement here whenever we open our beta to more users, so keep an eye on any posts from our product teams.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Vektoren

Vektoren New Member

I tested NI's tools on M1 using macOS Big Sur and it works just fine. I use Bitwig Studio 4 (ARM / M1 version) as VST host. I do not have a Machine device, though.

8. Tomboman

Tomboman New Member

Kaiwan @ NI
    Thanks so much for getting back, that sound really good!
    If you guys release Kontakt native till the end of the year, that would be a fantastic Christmas present :)

9. mikijoe1

mikijoe1 New Member

(sorry for my basic English, but French would have less readers...)
    I received my MacBook Pro 16" CPU M1 Pro with OSX 12.0.1 Monterey.
    I have installed the Komplete Kontrol ultimate collectors v13 on it, everything seems to install and run correctly. I have continuously checked the full access to hard drive to all products that appeared in the confidentiality tab from security settings in OSX, like I did for Big Sur.
    Except an error I had sometimes while launching Native Access (issue with Keychain : corrupted or something like that, do you want to reinitialize it ...) anyway, I did that because laptop is brand new, nothing to loose...

I have just connected my Komplete M32 keyboard, it's also working fine, I still have to connect my S88 MK2 keyboard to check.

I didn't do advanced checks or tests, but just some instruments that I often use, I did not notice any crashes at the moment.
    But I can't wait to get the full "native" support of M1 chips and Monterey OS, it's frustrating to have an (expensive) ecosystem that is not fully reliable and supported, as it's clearly mentioned in Native Access screens that products are available with limited support (I guess that means limited technical support)
    Capture d’écran 2021-10-28 à 10.27.28.png Capture d’écran 2021-10-28 à 10.48.14.png

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Just updated today (intel mac) and eveything seems to be working fine so far. If i run into issues I'll report here.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  11. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

12. D-One

13. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

He got an answer by NI

14. D-One

Paule The official answer is "Nothing is compatible"... Which is not true but it's the safest and most responsible thing to say at the moment by a company.

What that really means is:
    "We don't know yet, so we have to say nothing is compatible while we do all necessary testing and get feedback so that users dont go updating in mass and then processed to complain things arent working". :D It's like this every single year when a new MacOS version is released.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Mutis

Mutis NI Product Owner

With the exception that M1 users can’t downgrade beyond BigSur…
    https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/can-m1-macs-run-old-macos-3802190/

16. D-One

Of course, BigSur was the first OS that supported the new CPU architecture.
    I was talking about the vast majority who still runs intel macs, there's always people that update then complain things don't work. There are no M1 VS Intel details yet, just a general statement.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Maxence dussere

Maxence dussere New Member

Hi there !

I have a Appel MBP 16' with M1 max and im a pro tools user. NI's stuff seems to work fine until I get to Kontakt: the standalone Kontakt works perfectly but when I use Kontakt within pro tools, it won't launch sample based librairies.
    When I use Komplete Kontrol: the standalone version will load anything: sample based instruments, or synths like massive or Absynth, but when I use Komplete Kontrol into pro tools, the plug in will load only synth instruments, but not sampled based ones.

Any clues to fix that ? ;)

thanks !

18. Terrordisco

Terrordisco NI Product Owner

Big Sur was a major OS update, Monterey isn't. Usually that means that apps and plugins don't break much, and those who buy new macs with Monterey shouldn't have to downgrade their OS - unless they run into major issues.
    I'm no expert, but since some may be very confused, I want to offer this experience, so you know what to reasonably expect. No promises though :)

Since I'm on the first M1 mac, I'll wait for a bit before upgrading, most everything on my mac works as it should, it's expected that a brand new OS version will create some bugs in plugins and such. But probably not enough to warrant a downgrade. In most cases...
    So:
    Older mac - don't upgrade until NI says so (or you get super impatient or do it while drunk)
    New mac - test first, then downgrade if everything is real bad. But there are some imperfections with the M1 experience still, so ask v1 M1 users if your problem is also present on Big Sur, before downgrading. Unless you do it while drunk. If so, consider your life choices.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Kaiwan @ NI

I've seen a report of issues when loading Kontakt in Pro tools on M1. If you haven't already, can you please reach out to our support team directly? Understanding your setup would help us identify the root cause. You can reach them here: https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/sections/360000092857

20. Mike Cassedy

Mike Cassedy New Member

Hi,

I have had the same issue with Kontakt in ProTools on my new M1 Macbook Pro with OS 12 on it. Protools crashes as soon as I load a sample library. It works fine in Logic though just as a heads up. Two questions.

1) I may temporarily run Protools on my old computer and Logic on my new one. I think the license allows for two computers but I saw some language about how regularly you use it. If I'm switching back and forth is that a problem with the license?

2) There probably isn't a clear answer on this but does anyone know how long it has typically taken in the past for Kontakt to be compatible with a new OS? Just trying to figure out if this is a weeks or months kind of situation, big project coming up and trying to decide if I may need to return my new computer and get and older model with OS11 on it.

Thank you for you time and thank you to the developers for what I'm sure is not an easy job to do quickly!