arturia minibrute or moog minitaur

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by THE WIDOWMAKER, Mar 16, 2012.

1. THE WIDOWMAKER

THE WIDOWMAKER NI Product Owner

if anybody has one what are they like?

i am trying to find one to demo but can't get access anywhere, looking for owner honesty - not you tube marketing.

cheers

2. Ghost_On_Da_Maschine

Ghost_On_Da_Maschine NI Product Owner

Good luck with that. ;)
    Still too early for real users.

3. EpikureeR

EpikureeR NI Product Owner

arturia minibrute isn't released yet.
    I'm looking forward to getting the minibrute.
    From what I have read on several forums is that the cheaper models of the moogs are not as versatile and soundy as the real moog-synths (the bigger ones; minimoog, voyager).
    And from what I have seen yet about the minibrute I'm pretty keen on getting my hands on one, since it seems pretty versatile and good sounding for its price.

EpikureeR

4. THE WIDOWMAKER

i can't even find a demo :-(

can't really go wrong for 400quid tho....squelch,squelch.

5. trux

trux NI Product Owner

i've been considering a minibrute or a mopho, i like the sound demos of both but probs need to do some more research on both.

what do you guys think about not being able to save patches on the minibrute?

-i

6. THE WIDOWMAKER

It's analogue dude, sod the presets, make paper templates if u need to, pretty sure they will be available for purchase anyway. I hear wotcha saying but the beauty is in the users creative memory not a computer ;-)

7. EpikureeR

EpikureeR NI Product Owner

you can save the CC's in your DAW

8. lethal_pizzle

lethal_pizzle NI Product Owner

The Minibrute got a positive review in soundonsound last month

9. wonkey Donkey

wonkey Donkey Forum Member

No offence but this is a bit of a stupid, 'apples or oranges' question. Surely you'll get more from the youtube videos rather than some vague subjective bias from a random dude on the internet. Watch the youtube vids - which do you prefer the tone of? What about the basic feature set? How will it fit in with your particular work flow/style of music?

10. flux302

flux302 NI Product Owner

I have to disagree with that last comment, YouTube compression does not translate true analog sound well. I should know I helped do the sounds and gear videos of the minibrute ( namm.soundsandgear.com). I will say this. Both sounded great but both have VERY different sound and feature sets. I'm personally buying a minibrute, the Minitaur did have a great bassy sound but it didn't strike me the same way the mini brute did, the filter really was more versatile. And I also like the fact it acts as a midi to cv converter and has full cv outs.
    The sub osc really was able to push that low end. The Minitaur was a little less deep feature wise and was not able to link the sync the lfo if I recall properly.
    There are some videos up from namm unfortunately we had a problem with the recording gear when we demod the Minitaur ... Honestly I was most taken back by the studio logic sledge...

11. Ghost_On_Da_Maschine

YouTube videos are done by...................................................................................
    random dudes on the internet. :eek:

@Flux302 the MiniBrute is trying to make headway in the hardware world so features and sound were important.
    Their software recreations have sounded really good so you would expect the new hardware endeavor to follow that path as well.

The Minitaur on the other hand has to try not to compete with the Phatty family so it limits how far Moog can take it feature wise without them crossing over each other.

I think people are looking to compare them because of price but they are actually designed with different goals.

12. awol9000

awol9000 NI Product Owner

I was disappointed by the build quality of the Little Phatty. It felt cheap for the asking price. That alone would make me question the Moog Minitaur.

The Minibrute has a sub osc isn't a fixed square wave like the Mopho.

That being said, I haven't tried either. Sorry.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  13. wonkey Donkey

wonkey Donkey Forum Member

True, youtube isn't ideal but it's the next best thing compared to hearing them live and will give you a basic idea of what the gear is capable of - better than someone's subjective take by describing it.

lol. True again to a point but at least you'll actually get some context from hearing them and a demonstration of their features (regardless of whether or not it's marketing)

Exactly my point about 'apples and oranges'. From what little I've seen they seem very different which is why I said it depends upon which would be more suitable for his particular style/workflow and their individual tonality. It's personal preference.

For what it's worth, I much prefer the sound of the moog but I think it will be quite limited. This is worth checking out:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Moe6aVNCwvU"]Sonic LAB Moog Minitaur Bass Synth Review - YouTube[/ame]

14. flux302

flux302 NI Product Owner

I agree they def. have different goals in mind and come at it from a different approach. they due fill similar sound areas though. I gotta agree to me personally the little phatty feels really cheaply built... it looks great but when you twist those knobs they feel loose and weak. I wish I could understand why they did that...
    Minitaur definitely has it's place as the filter has a different sound than that of most of the other moogs resonance sounded more prominent and out front to me.

it's really up to personal preference. I would imagine guitar center will eventually have both so I would go and try em out and decide which you like more.

15. Trakz

Trakz Account Suspended

In the stu....

Attached Files:

• moog.jpg
      moog.jpg
      File size:
      107.6 KB
      Views:
  16. kcearl

kcearl NI Product Owner

I love my Slim Phatty...gets all the moogs sounds I want, or need...so I guess Id go with the minibrute...keyboard, analog, under $500? crazy not too :)

17. Ghost_On_Da_Maschine

Interesting, so what Moog does the Phatty sound like to you?
    The Phatty just sounds Moog-ish but not like any Moog I know.

18. kcearl

kcearl NI Product Owner

Moogish, whatever lol...I dont care if it doesnt sound like a moog modular or a minimoog...I wouldnt expect an $800 synth too

I dont collect synths, I play them..I get fat basslines and aggressive leads out in in a moog(ish) style, thats what I bought it for, thats what it does

whether it sounds like anything else doesnt bother me, it sounds like a moog to me, and it was made by them...thats enough :)

19. AikiGhost

AikiGhost NI Product Owner

The bass end on the minotaur sounds great, but the minibrute looks a lot more flexible.

Automstic Gainsay has started to post a deep minibrute review

Part 1 - Overview
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVoc1fBVN5o"]The Arturia MiniBrute - Introduction. - YouTube[/ame]

Part 2 - Oscillators
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1DCxaTE0mg"]The Arturia Minibrute- Part 1- The Oscillator - YouTube[/ame]

20. Ghost_On_Da_Maschine

I wasn't even going that deep, I was referring to light weight Moogs like the Prodigy and Rogue.

It sounds like a Moog Phatty and that pretty much the only Moog it sounds like.
    True it has their name but not it's the sound of the older Moogs.

Lots of cheap synths out there that can give you the same or better they just don't come with the hype of the Moog name.

This is the reason why people thought the Minitaur was going to have more features than it does.

Once Arturia gets in population it will affect 3 Moog products (Slim,Little and Minitaur) because of it's price and feature set.