1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Arturia Spark

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Drifter, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Drifter

Drifter NI Product Owner

Do any maschine users here also own Aurturia Spark and use it as a vst inside maschine. I was curious about weather it would be work getting. I'm tempted to get it but I'm not sure if its something I really need or just gear lust for more equipment

2. Ursa Minor

Ursa Minor NI Product Owner

i demoed it quite a bit. the vdm version.

works reasonably well, sounds good.

few problems though. spark eats up the cpu quickly - some presets more so.
    since the maschine doesnt support multicore yet its a bit of an issue.
    also arturia isnt renown for its incredibly stable software.

any case, you can demo the spark vdm.

3. Drifter

Drifter NI Product Owner

Hmm.. Does running maschine as a vst inside a DAW save cpu resources? Since Daws support multicore. Also if you have a macbook is cpu still an issue?

4. Ursa Minor

no - i doubt it works like that honestly. also cumbersome.

and yes i have tried it on mbp and it was not smooth sailing. i seem to recall spark using around 20-30 percent with occasional spikes on osx depending on which drum machine was modelled.(sample based patches being the easiest on the cpu)

i prefer using synths and as as soon as i would load a couple of vsts stuff would get laggy. you can always bounce but i am not crazy about that workflow.

i have almost all of the arturia plugins and they are barely usable cpu vise. my experience only. maybe nord drum machine could be something to look into.

good luck,

5. taoyoyo

taoyoyo NI Product Owner

I demoed their stripped-down VST version of Spark (VDM) inside Maschine a while back. Wasn't very stable at all.

6. Ursa Minor

yeah, it sure has that arturia flakyness. thats one company i will think 100 times before trusting them with my money.

7. ew

ew Moderator Moderator

I haven't had any problems with Arturia stuff recently. I had some severe CPU issues with SEM and my old Phenom based system- when I went to i7s in all my machines, that went away.

ew

8. Ursa Minor

as a sidenote i would recommend waldorf attack or sonic charge microtonic if you need synth drum module plugins.

9. Drifter

Drifter NI Product Owner

After reading these responses I will be careful deciding weather to purchase spark unless the software issues are resolved. The appeal of spark was the software-hardware combination. I wish more software companies had tools with dedicated hardware.

10. 75er

75er Forum Member

Got the Arturia SparkLE controller and software for a few weeks now and it's a lot of fun. No problems so far. Works as a plugin in Maschine and every other DAW, but at the moment I use it in standalone mode most of the time and then import my ideas into Maschine.

11. kcearl

kcearl NI Product Owner

I dont use it as a vst inside maschine but i really like spark....i have vdm too, the controller works with it as well

I dont think the kits are anywhere near as good in quality or quantity as NI's but i use it for making my own kits...and its superb for that..i prefer the hardware too, but thats because of the extra knobs and sequencer...its a drum machine as opposed to a groovebox

A little buggy but each update improves it...a great addition to maschine in your arsenal imo
    ---
    Theres a new update for SEM...fixed any problems i had hosting it in Live so far

I have the V3 collection and they can be a bit meh, but the SEMs outstanding

12. fullex2064

fullex2064 Forum Member

I have both, and I use them both inside of Cubase. ANd yes, using Maschine as a VST will be better for CPU than standalone. I run two instances of MAschine so that I can get 32 outputs to mix, and I host all of my VSTI's inside of Maschine so I can take adavantage of its awesome parameter automapping. I got the SPark at guitar center used for a steal and it is an awesome tool for shaping and automating drums. I set up Spark and Maschine in Cubase, then on a MIDI track for Spark I put the Maschine VST output as Sparks input. Now I can control Spark sound on Maschine while being able to tweak the sounds parameters simultaneously. Then I can make my realtime tweaks on an automation track to make things sound crazy. I probably wouldn't use it as a VST inside of MAschine though, but thats because I'm obsessive with output routing.