Audio and Realtime Time-Stretching in Maschine

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Florian G @ NI, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Florian G @ NI

Florian G @ NI NI Team NI Team

Hi all,

Today I want to let you know about a new area of development we have started in Maschine, next to and very much related to the sequencer improvements: We have started to implement audio and realtime time-stretching in Maschine. Those of you who are already on the beta program for the new sequencer features (thank you!) already saw the very first features appear shortly before Christmas, but this is only the beginning of our work in this area.

Playing back and recording audio loops that automatically stretch to the project tempo has been a longstanding request for Maschine, and we have looked at different ways to implement this. We have now decided to start with audio loops in Scenes. These can behave almost exactly like Patterns in Groups, so they integrate nicely with existing workflows.

So far, all tracks in Maschine are Groups that contain Sounds. With the new audio functionality, we are introducing Audio Tracks that sit on the same level as Group Tracks. Group Tracks are just Groups, nothing changed there. Audio Tracks, on the other hand, contain Audio Patterns (= Loops). These behave exactly like Patterns: Their length gets determined and then they are stretched to match the tempo of the project. If an Audio Pattern is shorter than the Scene in which it is placed, the Scene is extended to match the Audio Pattern’s length, and if the Audio Pattern is shorter than the Scene, it is repeated.

The team is currently focusing on getting loop playback ready for beta testing. As soon as that is the case, we will post another beta invite for an audio-centered round of testing and feedback here in the Maschine forum. I expect this functionality to remain in beta for quite a while, as we continue to implement new features – e.g. recording – and round off the edges.

This new audio functionality is of course closely related to the development of the sequencer. Eventually, we want to also bring Audio Clips to the Song Layer, where they can be used as very flexible containers for audio material. Once we are there, we will be able to play and record audio freely on top of an existing Scene-based arrangement, with or without realtime time-stretching.

Another consideration we’re looking into is introducing a realtime time-stretching mode for Maschine’s sampler. As this is less focused on arranging workflows, where most of our other development work is done right now, we chose to implement audio in the sequencer first.

I am bringing this topic up right now because we want to prepare the ground for the coming audio beta, and also because we would love to hear your feedback on which features you think are most important in this area already at this early stage of development.

Looking forward to getting your thoughts!

Best,
    Florian

• Like Like x 40
    • Informative Informative x 6
    • Funny Funny x 3
  2. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

Again, I'm sure I speak for others in saying that the continued communication is appreciated and refreshing. Thank you. :)

To my mind, if the Sampler itself was improved first (getting realtime timestretching, a mode to have audio triggered without a MIDI note, and a few other workflow enhancements for playback/recording), "Audio Tracks" (that are separate from our beloved and all-powerful MASCHINE Groups) would be obsolete.

• Like Like x 6
  3. granmah

granmah NI Product Owner

I signed for the beta a long time ago without any luck. Let's see if 2017 bring me as a part of the beta test program :D

4. Extreme_Maschine

Extreme_Maschine New Member

This is great news! I definetly appreciate the frequent communication from the Native Instruments staff. I been a Maschine user since 2012 and I am happy with the maschine workflow. All the added features are going to be a huge plus for my computers CPU since i won't have to use 3rd party plug ins to accomplish realtime stretch and pitch shifting. If it is not a problem, can you please look into round robin mode? Overall great work NI team.

• Like Like x 1
  5. lethal_pizzle

lethal_pizzle NI Product Owner

Good, playing back samples across the keyboard without changing tempo is a basic sampling feature Maschine has been lacking!

• Like Like x 5
  6. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

Indeed. Looking forward to this. For making better quality multi-sampled instruments. And for pitching and changing tempo of loops without using an audio track. :p

• Like Like x 2
  7. mojopriest

mojopriest New Member

Just shortly, the one thing I would like to use Maschine is the kind of setting where I would have an audio track - mostly vocal track - with a specific tempo apart from the rest of the project working in the same tempo. The audio track would thus be one file not divided in scenes, but I would still be able to build scenes to form a scene-based backing track to that audio track.

As I understood, this sort of update is actually underway, which is certainly great news.

• Like Like x 2
  8. loachm

loachm NI Product Owner

... so far I think, it's a good idea having it as an equivalent to the groups in order to be in line with the existing paradigm. The way I understand it, we could set up an audio group for every regular group and record each pattern as a corresponding audio loop. That would solve one of the biggest issues for me. Really like it!

• Like Like x 3
  9. lethal_pizzle

Being able to easily record and play back audio tracks would be very useful to me, particularly if eventually I could record and comp takes across the entire arrangement.

The playing back of vanilla 3rd party loops is not of great interest to me so I'd like to be able to spice these up. Built in features such as beat repeat/beat slicer, transient detection and the ability to move transients, a 'freeze mode' with playback as per Traktor, the ability to change tempo on the fly and record this automation (including using LFOs to 'slew' the playback of a loop but keep it overall in time) in order to mess audio would be great. Intuitive, simple and fun ways to re-edit loops would be a big yes from me.

• Like Like x 5
  10. lethal_pizzle

Track freeze and the ability to revert the audio back to the regular group with associated plugins for further tinkering would be massive.

• Like Like x 2
  11. parrismc

parrismc NI Product Owner

Another consideration we’re looking into is introducing a realtime time-stretching mode for Maschine’s sampler.

This is great news Florian. I am loving the new level of communication. It's going to be a good 2017 for Maschine.

• Like Like x 2
  12. SyntheticJuice

SyntheticJuice New Member

audio tracks sound really promising! this is how i would like to use it:

on the idea sketching side, audio in the song layer will make recording live audio improv ideas (vocals, instruments perf) and layering it in top of the scenes so much easier, especally for sections that start/stop outside the scene layer

for live performance, i may bounce backing tracks to audio, especially long changing ambient stuff from my hw gear. it would be nice to switch scenes and have the audio track portion play at that playhead spot. today its awkward at best to try to do that.

13. lethal_pizzle

Playing back audio depending on the audio location and playhead position rather than having to trigger the sample would be good.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Supercreative

Supercreative NI Product Owner

Great news!!!
    I'm really appreciated to see that there is communication and development in this section!
    For me, better audio handling is the most important issue behind the "song mode" (ability of recording/editing).

Thank you @Florian G @ NI for picking all the major requests step by step!

15. b-righteous

b-righteous Moderator Moderator

@noway, start another thread and maybe someone can help. All those seem to be just that you have not figured out how to use those functions. Your post is off topic.

16. daswesen

daswesen NI Product Owner

I know that me too posts are not very productive, but I wanted to thank the NI team for the communication, the renewed work on Maschine, and the overall calm and fairness that they approach this forum with. I'm always a bit heartbroken when I see the discussions going on here, but this made my week.

• Like Like x 4
  17. Olihop

Olihop NI Product Owner

Another consideration we’re looking into is introducing a realtime time-stretching mode for Maschine’s sampler.

It's good news :D

• Like Like x 1
  18. Shane Sterling

Shane Sterling New Member

Real-time stretching and audio tracks will make Maschine a truly incredible DAW!! These newly announced features are a dream come true for me since I really love Maschine's pattern based workflow. I vote 100% yes to exactly as you've described what's coming!!!

• Like Like x 1
  19. KravenZ

KravenZ NI Product Owner

This is amazing news!!! Audio tracks are my most wanted feature. Nice to see that you are working on it. Great. And by the way. I want to repeat how refreshing it is to see NI communicate with us. Right now we know what is going on in development and that you work on some of the most wanted features and that is important.

20. skinswashdc

skinswashdc Well-Known Member

I give them props for this because I don't see Apple, akai, ableton, Steinberg etc doing this. As far as communication currently and what they are working on. Think it's awesome they are telling us what they are working on. I been waiting a long time for this and knew this would happenend eventually. Big thanks.