1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

Audio and Realtime Time-Stretching in Maschine

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Florian G @ NI, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Daschine

Daschine NI Product Owner

I see people voting for sampler first but I´m really glad that Audio Tracks get´s priority;) ;). If you work in music styles that has vocals and melodylines early on in the writing process you get to work 2 seconds on the wonderfull standalone version of Maschine and when the first vocal idea hit´s the mike the rest of the session is in the DAW with Maschine trailing along as a weird plugin.......

:)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

I get where you're coming from, but I strongly think that the audio engine of the Sampler could just be developed and enhanced to incorporate features that give it "audio track" functionality. Believe me, I want Maschine to be better for vocals, guitar, bass, whatever too.

• Like Like x 1
  3. toneyrome

toneyrome NI Product Owner

ITA. If your dealing with loops then the timeline should be the "samples". It should time stretch, pitch shift, etc and you should be able to chop it up right in the track. This is what software had last decade.

Samplers are cool but if you have these features in the timeline then sampling is more geared towards creating instruments and not loops.

Most of the time I "sample" into an audio editor and drag those sounds straight into groups. I then use maschine's sampler for splicing mostly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. HEK

HEK NI Product Owner

Word!!

• Like Like x 1
  5. pidjin

pidjin NI Product Owner

Definitely looking forward to audio tracks! I may be in the minority here, but I am not very interested in realtime stretching in Maschine. I think the old-school sampler style of tuning samples makes for a lot of interesting music that time-stretching (ableton-style) tends to sort of erase. But I am sure that is just me personally, but I feel that this helps give Maschine some of its own personality over Ableton and whatever else.

What I WOULD really like is the ability to lock a sample's tuning to the project tempo, so that once I've tuned my drum break to the tempo, I can decide to change the project tempo without having to go back and re-tune everything. If I start at 110bpm and go to 140bpm for example, I would like for my tuned samples to come with me automatically to save me from having to redo all that work.

6. District Onagi

District Onagi NI Product Owner

I think the ability to do both realtime time stretching and the regular way are both relevant and should be included. I think for a Sampler like Machine to not have the functions the other big boys have, and think that it can keep up with the competition is just plain silly. Machine needs these features now.

• Like Like x 1
  7. toneyrome

Is it me or what you're describing is time stretching?

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
  8. Hardwareguy

Hardwareguy New Member

Why copy akai ideas? Something that has been introduced already on the new akai mpc x an live. What a shame in my opinion.

9. toneyrome

Lol

10. Hardwareguy

Hardwareguy New Member

Yeah it makes me laugh as well

11. CakeAlexS

CakeAlexS NI Product Owner

hMMMM time stretching... Invented by AKAI... who would have thought... :p

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. District Onagi

District Onagi NI Product Owner

Ha!

13. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

Great to read that

Gesendet von meinem SM-A510F mit Tapatalk

14. Jazz Slicer

Jazz Slicer New Member

When can we expect this update?

15. Olihop

Olihop NI Product Owner

No idea but saw the slowness to get us the updates and the announced improvements I would say not before 2018 but I hope to be wrong !! It's the crisis at NI or what ??

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Bonus Beats

Bonus Beats Guest

Actually I thought about this from another point of view and I think that audio tracks could be a very very important thing to get a "jump start" on because I think about how many times I just want to cut up a sample or loop and drag it around with out having to slice the midi then be stuck with what ever my first intentions were with out being able to freely cut and drag around parts easily. I know most things can be done in a MIDI sample but its still doesn't have that same feel.

17. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

I see what you mean, but I also see no reason why this kind of functionality couldn't be built into the Sound level and essentially as a new mode for the sampler i.e., one that doesn't need MIDI notes to work and just plays according to where/how you set it to play (just like an audio item/clip on an audio track). Best of both worlds to me.

• Like Like x 3
  18. demoniqus

demoniqus NI Product Owner

Yeah.. ^^ This... I have already visualized how perfect this would be for workflow reasons.. sketching out ideas, picking certain clips and tie them directly to either MIDI-input, a pad on maschine or set a keyrange and directly have control over it.. strap the regular ADRS functionality on it, filters e.t.c I guess we'll see when,or maybe i should be a douche and say eventually, this functionality is released to understand if they tried to invent the wheel anew or if the actually pulled a brand new, different type of begian blue rabbit out of the hat.

19. toneyrome

Re:Audio Recording

We need realtime input effects.

PAT

20. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

Already possible (and has pretty much always been possible). It's just a matter of routing and choosing your sampling/recording source.

• Like Like x 1