1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

Audio and Realtime Time-Stretching in Maschine

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Florian G @ NI, Jan 6, 2017.

1. District Onagi

District Onagi NI Product Owner

My guess is B) or C) o_O

2. CakeAlexS

CakeAlexS NI Product Owner

I actually rang up NI and asked them. They said to stop wasting their time this is a support line we only talk to Skins. So their reaction says it's a definite cert.

3. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

We will see........

4. demoniqus

demoniqus NI Product Owner

That would be a bummer.. Having used a few different solutions based on iPads and bigger multipoint / multitouch enabled screens together with music apps, in my personal experience touchscreens are too imprecise to work fast and optimised especially when it comes to setting crucial loop-points in audio.. touch-offsets, non-scalable GUI's and calbration issues makes it even more finicky.
    Physical knobs and sliders will always be King in my castle.. hope they don't waste energy into making the Maschine software "touch enabled" prior optimising it for the current hardware.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Kristyan

Kristyan New Member

I wrote it like a joke meaning "NI is preparing another useless pseudo-hitech hardware to make money by unlocking some very basic feature like timestretching" Sorry that some people take it seriously (and act like they consider to buy it, sighh..).

It's actually a tackle against NI referring to Maschine JAM. I hate Maschine Jam, because I have a Launchpad that I bought 70$, and I could use it to launch pattern ans scene in Maschine Standalone if NI decided to. Instead, they try to force me to buy another 400$ hardware with touchstrip that I f***ng don't care because they think I'm dumb.
    Hello NI i'm not. Let's go Push 2.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  6. HEK

HEK NI Product Owner

Do we have an approximate timeplan for this? (timestretch in maschine) When will it happen. Would really appreciate the feature!!!

7. District Onagi

District Onagi NI Product Owner

Any where from tomorrow afternoon to a year from now. It has to remain approximate because no new info has surfaced.

Your guess is as good as ours is, honestly.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. HEK

HEK NI Product Owner

Yea ok, lets hold our thumbs for tomorrow afternoon then ;)

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. Coorec

Coorec NI Product Owner

Other companies have lerned the benefits of releasing update plans by now.

10. demoniqus

demoniqus NI Product Owner

Lol..Yeah.. HEK that'll be awesome.. crunch those thumbs, i'm sure it'll bring us all the luck we need ..
    I'm happy again as Reason 9.5 will finally have VST support.. and with VST support + external midi, latency comp and the free routing i have the alternative i've waited for so danm long.. Maschine controller support by third party also makes this a convenient substitute.. Reason has all the bells and whistles for a smooth workflow.

So, get the code up and running already Native instruments.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jazz Slicer

Jazz Slicer New Member

Meet an NI rep and he said this would be implemented by December 2017 ☹️

12. Syphilitic Monster

Syphilitic Monster New Member

Well that NI rep lied to you because they are going to implement real time time-stretch in December Two Thousand and Never.

They know how to do it. They have the code for realtime stretching in Kontakt and Traktor. And they have similar in Reaktor and Battery... They could code it into the Maschine Sampler in 45 minutes. Literally make a cut down version of Kontakt and embed it into Maschine.

It is a business decision, they want to cripple the Maschine software to make sure that it doesn't cannibalise sales of their other products. Because for example, if Maschine could play samples locked to a changing project tempo then you might be tempted to not buy Traktor. If it could stretch a single sample across the keyboard while preserving formants then you might not buy Kontakt.

For my part: I don't want Kontakt with all those endless libraries-I use my own samples. I don't want Traktor- I am not a 'DJ'. I would like to have Maschine but only if it actually integrated project tempo locking of samples, and real time time-stretching and pitch shifting. So NI's smarty smart business decision to improve their sales means in my case that I haven't bought Maschine. I don't believe I am alone in this. But maybe my case is unique.

Instead I use Ableton (though i don't like Push) and an Elektron Octatrack.

13. CakeAlexS

Not a good idea, embedding Kontakt takes extra resources and processing power.

45 mins is a bit extreme but I would expect they should have something for beta in the next 30 days unless they are (hopefully) too busy fixing legacy bugs (which they still haven't acknowledged) and new bugs...in which case another 30 days after that.

End of July is my ridiculous hyperbole, so perhaps it will be mid 2018 with the new controller.

14. Syphilitic Monster

Hmm. you didn't read my comment?

A CUT DOWN Kontakt (without scripts, Kontakt FX, enormous sample maps, etc,). There is simply no idea bad or good that will get you real time time-stretching without some sort of CPU hit. Processing the speed and pitch of a sample in real time requires processing power however you approach it. Besides 'sampler' in Maschine is already code based on a cut down Kontakt. They just cut it down too much- or as NI would see it- cut down enough that it wouldn't threaten Kontakt sales.

Don't spread lies. NI will not implement it (ever) unless they radically change business strategy and giving false hope about real time time-stretch in Maschine has strung some people in here along for over 3 years. Stop it.

15. Syphilitic Monster

You are right. I bow my head in shame in acknowledgement of my mistake. I did not correctly ascertain that you were engaged in sarcasm in your last paragraph. My humble apologies.

With deepest regrets from a continued non NI-product owner.

• Like Like x 1
  16. CakeAlexS

Hey I've deleted my comment, you delete yours and it never happened .. cheers :)

17. Syphilitic Monster

No need to delete your comment dude... We should leave the comments as a salutary lesson in hubris. Of course, a comment in which I start off by claiming you didn't read my comment closely enough has to end with me showing that I haven't read your comment closely enough.

A hundred years from now someone searching for why they cannot real time time-stretch in Maschine 19.5, will stumble across these comment s and chuckle about the hubris of the ancients.

18. CakeAlexS

"Of course, a comment in which I start off by claimingyou didn't read my comment closely enough has to end with me showing that I haven't read your comment closely enough."

Regret now I deleted my comment. I just thought it was the right and nice thing to do.. Onwards.

19. bilposey

bilposey NI Product Owner

Btw we need real time time stretch

20. komeci

komeci NI Product Owner

i was also pretty obsessed with realtime time stretching feature, but just bought FORM and started using, and as i was having problem with playing one shot samples, sampler shortens them when you play them up pitch, FORM solved that for me. i mean playling one shot samples and doing a whole lot of other stuff with them, it really is a brilliant synth.

but realtime stretching is still needed for drumloops and longer samples that need to fit onto changing bpm, so yeah it would be useful and is still needed. but if you play a lot of oneshot samples, try FORM

• Like Like x 1