1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Audio Pops and Cracks using Maschine in Full Screen

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by tubeaudiogear, Apr 10, 2019.

1. tubeaudiogear

tubeaudiogear NI Product Owner

I have a project loaded with about 8 synths plus effects and Maschine started to make cracks and pops while I am moving faders in the mixer, I thought that was quite strange since my CPU is not even a 30%. So while trying to find out what was going on I realised that this cracks and pops only happen if Maschine is in Full Screen or if Maschine window is anything bigger than the default "Large" size in the View menu...

I haven't been able to find other users experimenting the same issue, could it be that there is a problem with my set up?

2. p1afff

p1afff NI Product Owner

3. René must be Unique

René must be Unique NI Product Owner

Have you already experimented with the audio buffer settings.

René

4. CakeAlexS

CakeAlexS NI Product Owner

The obvious question then is... What exactly is your setup. Specs please

5. tubeaudiogear

No, I haven't but even if that solve the issue I wouldnt be happy with that solution since I have a pro audio interface, my buffer settings are ok and my iMac can handle this cpu load easily...I could try to upgrade from El Capitan to the latest mac OS but I'd like to be sure that will solve the problem.

6. tubeaudiogear

it's in my signature, do you think El Capitan is not good friend with Maschine 2.7

7. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Generally speaking, in the Mac world it's a good idea to use a modern OS if you use modern software versions, you're basically 3 major versions behind, El Cap is the minimum required by NI, so pretty soon it might not be supported.

"Apple iMac Intel Core i7 16GB" doesn't say much, what's the release year?
    What buffer size are you using exactly?

8. tubeaudiogear

it's a late 2012 iMac, which OS version do you think work best with Machine 2.7?

9. D-One

It's the model with an NVIDIA GTX 675MX right? For a quad-core with dedicated GPU my advice it to run the latest OS possible, backup everything, update and give it a go... there's nothing to lose really, since it's an old machine a clean install would be ideal.

If you're using a buffer of 32/64 with that computer than you're looking for solutions in the wrong places regardless of what Audio Interface you have and what CPU usage is being reported by software, these make no difference unless you have an interface with DSP and only use it's DSP enabled plugins.

10. tubeaudiogear

It's the gtx 680mx, also I'm starting to find pops and clicks when switching between sound and group view in the mixer and also when switching between ideas and song view, seems like maschine uses too much power handling GUI elements because I get no audio artefacts using the mixer with the mk3 if the software is not in mixer view.

I'm using a buffer of 160 at 48khz which gives me around 10 ms latency, never had issues with these settings in Logic unless I run lots of plugins...

I'll report back if a newer OS improves graphic performance.

11. D-One

It's a bit odd that's happening considering your resolution isn't that high, check if you have any power saving options enabled, they can make apps use CPU instead of GPU, it's supposed to only happen on laptops but i guess it doesn't hurt to check.
    Open the Activity Monitor, from the menu bar select Window > GPU History, check if it's showing high activity when the pops/crackle is happening.

This is going to sound stupid, but... Have you ever dusted your iMac? 7 years accumulating dust in the fans can severely cripple your GPU especially if you have pets, I friend of mine had a 2011 model that basically fried because the fans could barely spin, another friend had a fan failure, it's quite common. You would have to open it to clean it though... not a fun day if your not a techy person.

12. tubeaudiogear

I don't have any power saving enabled, I've also checked CPU history earlier and there is no spikes in cpu usage when those pops occur...

Now this is really weird, earlier while i was messing with zoom settings then suddenly audio artefacts were gone, then after two hours I launch the same project and those pops came back so I guess this must be a rare bug.

GPU should be alright, I have played not long ago intensive games like Tomb Raider and it's ok

13. D-One

My point was to check GPU usage, not CPU, drawing a full version app should be on your GPU...

If you use intensive 3d/games or not shouldn't make that much difference, up to you tho, it's your computer.

14. tubeaudiogear

Activity Monitor doesn't have GPU usage history :/ (unless that's a new feature on mojave?)

Guess I'll have to learn to live with this bug in the meantime...

15. p1afff

p1afff NI Product Owner

I asked if PC because the only times I saw that at support was when a USB audio card shared the same resources as the video card. But unlikely on Mac...

16. tubeaudiogear

I just upgraded to High Sierra and did some tests, first pic is cpu history with maschine running one of my projects, cpu idle amount is about 55%

maschine.png

Next is Logic running a heavy project, notice how logic is using all virtual cores

logic.png

GPU history for maschine running same project

maschine gpu.png

Is this normal on mac? Maschine is indeed using all cores but it's almost if hyper threading is disabled? I also tried factory projects, maschine keep using a lot less cores 2,4,6 and 8.

I'm running latest Maschine update by the way

17. D-One

Yes, it's normal.
    Maschine doesn't have hyperthreading support, it only uses your real CPU Core Count (both in Mac and Win).
    So, If you have a 4 Core 8 thread CPU you only see activity in half, quite annoying...
    2x more threads than cores don't equal 2x more performance but it's does give a significant performance boost, maybe 25% or something along those lines.

18. tubeaudiogear

I see, well that's a shame, on a positive note I do find that my mixes sound better in maschine compared to logic, seems like logic reduces sound quality to some extent so overall I'm very pleased with maschine so far.

19. D-One

That's most likely related to how you personally approach mixing differently in both softwares, a DAW shouldn't reduce quality in any way.

20. tubeaudiogear

Yeah maybe it's just a placebo thing, but I do remember the days when Reason 2 or Logic in early versions sounded like crap compared to Cubase for example, I used to do audio tests back in the day and the difference in audio quality was very noticeable.