Audio8 and Macbook Pro Unibody

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR Audio Interfaces' started by Cid K, Apr 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cid K

Cid K NI Product Owner

There seems to be driver issues with the Audio8 Dj and the new Unibody Macbook Pro.

I used to have an old macbook pro, i could have really low latency setting on it, now ive switched to the new Unibody one and even on the maximum Latency setting i still hear pop's, Crackles and Clicks.

I have pretty much the same setup, same application, same drivers. Actually my new macboo pro is abit better then what i used to have.. So in a way i dont know why it doesnt work right.

Maybe NI should check it out and do some testing to see if it's a driver compatibility/issue.

My old Setup:
    Macbook Pro (2.1)
    CPU: 2.2 GHZ
    RAM: 4GB
    HHD: 200GB 7200 RMP 16MB Cache

New Setup:
    Macbook Pro (Unibody)
    CPU: 2.4 GHZ
    RAM: 4GB
    HHD: 320GB 7200rpm 16MB Cache

I know this much, those new unibody, has a new nvidia motherboard, so maybe those usb ports arent the exact same as regular usb ports.

Thanks

Cid K

2. jcksn

jcksn Forum Member

same specs, same problem

I've got the same specs, the latest drivers, and the same problem. This is crazy... my audio 8 is useless during gigs now :(

3. Cid K

Cid K NI Product Owner

Yeah i know, kinda sucks ball's big time. Am gona switch to Serato if they dont come up with a solution... I know this much, Serato already addressed the USB Driver issue with the Unibody and it works flawlessly.

4. CalvaryBand

CalvaryBand New Member

I have the same issue with my Sony Z and my Audio 4; although its Windows XP Pro and not a mac, the specs are very similar: Core2 2.4ghz, 4 GB RAM, and its the dual videocard motherboard as well. They really need to get on this as all the recent laptops are using these new Core2 chips and seemingly everyone is affected, mac AND pc users.

5. petetaylor1973

petetaylor1973 Forum Member

so should I be having simalar problems with my regular unibody Macbook?

6. jcksn

jcksn Forum Member

petetaylor1973: no, I think it's specific to the dual video card motherboard design of the unibodies.
    ---
    Cid K: do you have your performance settings enabled so that both videocards are working? I wonder if disabling them would make a difference. If so, they have their answer to the driver problem right there. I'm gonna try it at my gig tonight and see if that helps.

7. Cid K

Cid K NI Product Owner

Theres no such things of Dual Vid card settings, it's either you use the Better Battery Life Option or Higher Performance. On higher performance, it ONLY uses the 9600 GT Vid Card, same goes for better life, where it only uses the 9400GT. The Nvidia board support Hybrid SLI for dual video card, but up to now, it's not supported by Apple.

Me what i think, it's more or less a bad drivers or bad usb ports. (But i dont think that USB would be the issue)

8. CalvaryBand

CalvaryBand New Member

Probably drivers. My dual videocard setup is the 9400 and an intel one on my Z, although its just the fact that all our motherboards are of the kind that support such a function, not the videocards themselves. Kind of sucks that you can't use older computers with traktor pro (ie G4s) and you can't use a lot of the modern ones (although this is an issue I'm sure they're working on).

9. jcksn

jcksn Forum Member

That's what I meant. Just tried to dumb down my question.

My guess is the motherboard/usb ports are confusing the driver. Either based upon architecture or component configuration.

End result: There is a problem, we all experience it and we need a driver to fix it. Otherwise we're stuck with a $449 brick. (It's a really nice brick, if that counts.)
    ---
    FWIW I am using a lemur with my setup and turning on/off the ethernet port has made no difference. To actually use the Lemur I need it on. But the USB device should be rock solid, able to record and output in any application. Right now, it's a pro piece of equipment that is operating at an amateur level. Sad panda.

10. Rasmuffin

Rasmuffin NI Product Owner

Weird. I have the new MBP in 2.8Ghz and Audio 8 with no audio drops @ 2.5ms.
    For best performance of Traktor, the 9600GT video card should be used instead of the intergrated 9400M, but I'm sure that's what everyone was already doing.

11. jcksn

jcksn Forum Member

I think we should all list what version of traktor and what driver version we're using.

I'm on Traktor Pro 1.1.2 with the Audio 8 v23 firmware and v2.3.5 driver (auto-installed by the Traktor Pro 1.1.2 update)

12. Cid K

Cid K NI Product Owner

I'm on Traktor 1.1.1 with Audio8 v23 firmware and v2.0.10driver.

13. jcksn

jcksn Forum Member

Cid K - you should try traktor pro 1.1.2 and see how the new 2.3.5 driver is for you.

14. Rasmuffin

I'm on 1.1.2 driver 2.3.5 and firmware v23

Serato forums are filled with a similar problem with the new unibodies but they have traced it to the second stick of 2gb ram when 4gb is installed. A fresh reboot clears the problem for Serato for awhile. I noticed a few pops and clicks in my last two recordings that I didn't have before. I'm going to mess with a few settings this weekend and see what happens.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  15. kavalir

kavalir New Member

Hello guys,

I realized some strange thing>

When I connect my Audio 8 DJ, sound is unusable, so much clicks, and distortion - in all applications. When I restart Macbook Pro, with connected Audio 8, everything goes smooth and without problems.

Anybody has it same?

My setup > Mac OSX 10.5.6, Macbook Pro 2.53 Unibody, Latest Audio 8 drivers.

16. Rasmuffin

That's what has been discussed on the Serato forum (better performance after reboot), but instead of minor clicks and pops it's constant distortion for Serato.
    Serato has worked with Apple to fix it in the new 10.5.7 update. Is this the same issue? Dunno.
    Does everyone who has the problem using 4GB ram?

17. jcksn

jcksn Forum Member

Yeah, a restart seems to help a little bit. But then somehow touching any settings messes things up.

I'm also on 4gb ram. Let's hope the 10.5.7 update fixes up our $449 brick ;)

18. Cid K

Cid K NI Product Owner

Me tried rebooting the macbook with audio8 connected, pretty much tried every possible solution. I dought it would be cause by RAM... If it is cause of RAM i say F%&$* You Apple.

I will try with latest Traktor and Drivers and see.

But again, am pretty sure it's USB Issues. Since on my old gen Macbook Pro i dont have any issues at all.

19. Rasmuffin

There is definitely a problem with the 4GB Macbooks.
    http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2...oks-still-having-problems-with-4gb-of-ram.ars
    It will be addressed in the next update to OSX. Will this fix the problem for all issues? Dunno, but for some audio applications this seems to be the root of the problem.
    ---
    A temporary fix for users of Serato has been removing a 2GB stcik of RAM. This has cleared up their problems. The issue comes up when an application utilizes anything above 3GB. If I have issues after my latest tweeking I'll try it.

20. DJ Finalee

DJ Finalee Forum Member

Im very interested in seeing the result of this. I am in the process of ordering a new MBP. I might have to hold off untill this is resolved before I invest $2600.00

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.