Implemented Auto-pattern Length...

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by mezzurias, Nov 27, 2013.

1. mezzurias

mezzurias NI Product Owner

I'm really surprised that NI didn't implement automatic pattern length when recording a pattern the first time. iMaschine has this but Maschine doesn't it would be really great if this was added to Maschine so we can record patterns on the fly without having to worry about setting up length first.

• Like Like x 15
  2. Falls A Star

Falls A Star Forum Member

Do you mean: if you have a scene with a 4 bar pattern in it, and you record a new pattern in that scene with another group, it should default to 4 bars instead of 1? (I would love that. I lost count of how many times I was feeling that 4 bars, hit record and wound up interrupted when it looped.)

Or is it something else?

3. b-righteous

b-righteous Moderator Moderator

No, for that you can hold rec. on the controller in 2.0 and select a new bar length if you have 1 bar as the default. You can also change the default in preferences.

I think he means a way to allow new recordings to be as long as you want and the bar length is set after you punch out. So there would be an auto parameter or whatever for bar length. This allows you the freedom to decide how long the recording pass will be based on when you stop playing and exit record and not a predetermined length. Most other sequencers have this behavior with replace record or whenever you record the first pass. Only overdubbing the next pass would have a fixed length.

Big +1

• Like Like x 3
  4. THE WIDOWMAKER

THE WIDOWMAKER NI Product Owner

5. mezzurias

mezzurias NI Product Owner

Yep this is what I mean. I don't get why iMaschine has this but Maschine proper doesn't. Makes no sense to me.

6. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

Absolutely. +1000001

It has always seemed odd that iMaschine has this very valuable feature, but "proper" Maschine does not. And still not there with 2.0...

• Like Like x 2
  7. Falls A Star

I know, but it'd be nice if it could inherit it from the scene.

That'd work too. :D

(Though often I start tweaking, forget I still have recording armed, and wind up playing stuff on other pads to figure out what I want to add next only to have it played back to me. Sometimes that first take works great though!)

8. Hbeats93

Hbeats93 Forum Member

Yes! NI should take some hints from FL Studio. Having to work ahead and decide before recording the length is really annoying/counterintuitive

9. BOOM BAP XL

BOOM BAP XL NI Product Owner

10. Falls A Star

On the opposite side: if I'm drawing automation on a pattern with the mouse, I don't want it to extend the pattern length automatically. Usually I've just gone slightly too far to the right (easy to do with small grid sizes) and didn't really mean to extend the pattern.

11. loscolorados

loscolorados Forum Member

12. usernamenumber

usernamenumber New Member

Yes yes yes, all my +1s to this. This would make a *huge* difference for me in how easily I could use Maschine for live stuff.

The way I picture this working (iff "auto pattern length" mode is enabled) is you press Rec and it starts recording at the beginning of the next measure, or maybe displays some kind of count-in on the LCD. Since the pattern you're recording won't loop now, starting at the right place becomes very important, so there needs to be some way to allow for time between pressing Rec and starting to play. When you're finished, press Rec again and Maschine rounds the pattern length up to the nearest Step Grid resolution increment after the last note you played. Bonus points if holding down Shift or something functions like a rest, in case you want the pattern to end with a certain amount of silence.

Anybody know how these votes work? Is there a way to track whether the NI devs are considering implementing a feature request? I would really love to see this.

13. pfokus

pfokus NI Product Owner

+1

Did this get implemented in any fashion in 2. I keep running into this one.

14. 2046

2046 NI Product Owner

15. CH7

CH7 NI Product Owner

Yep, I'd like to see this too.

what i tend to do now is set the bar length to something like 16 bars, and then hope by the time i've jammed
    into that, that i have the idea down. Also there's the risk of it looping bak and overwriting the start ;(

Ideally mashine would record everything untill you hit stop, the way imachine does it, and then you would need
    a way to find those 'sweets spots' in that recording by using a 'roving loop' [size definable].

Right now i use the < > buttons in the transport to find those sweet spots, but its based on watching the computer,
    and could be implemented so that once you found that loop, you could quickly copy that section into its own pattern.
    This would work something like creating a loop from a audio sample, only using midi events instead.

v1.8 was a right pain when it came to copy pasting a section of events.

16. davemacp

davemacp NI Product Owner

+1

Possibly the best suggestions I've seen on here. It's always bugged me when I forget to set my proposed pattern length (and it defaults to whatever), and never realised quite why I prefer imaschine in the regard..

17. Tarekith

Tarekith NI Product Owner

As a new Maschine user, I was shocked it didn't work this way by default. Another plus one for me.

• Like Like x 1
  18. CH7

CH7 NI Product Owner

Ideally mashine would record everything untill you hit stop, the way imachine does it, and then you would need
    a way to find those 'sweets spots' in that recording by using a 'roving loop' [size definable].

Right now i use the < > buttons in the transport to find those sweet spots, but its based on watching the computer,
    and could be implemented so that once you found that loop, you could quickly copy that section into its own pattern.
    This would work something like creating a loop from a audio sample, only using midi events instead.

19. philkglr

philkglr New Member

20. b-righteous

b-righteous Moderator Moderator

Create pattern and create scene from loop range would be a great feature. Sort of like scene and pattern duplicate but based on loop range.

We already can define the loop range from the controllers with the jog. We can also increment the loop range. Shift+restart+jog increments the loop. Shift+restart+lef/right arrow+jog will adjust the loop start or end respectively.

• Like Like x 1