1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

In Sticky Auto Save! (backup projects)

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by crystaldrone, Dec 11, 2014.

1. crystaldrone

crystaldrone NI Product Owner

Auto backups, togable on or off in the preferences. Useful since software crashes sometimes.
    This could be similar to the functionality in Cubase where it saves backups with a .bak extension in the same folder as the project, or backups could go to a subfolder named accordingly.

(Edited by @D-One)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2017
    • Like Like x 8
  2. crystaldrone

i even forgot all the minute things i did, automations etc.
    lost track.. moving on

3. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

As long as it's not just the behaviour and there are options for it (i.e., in Preferences), auto-save is a good idea that I think many would benefit from.

In the mean time... I know it doesn't help you now and I know the feeling, but Shift + SNAP/F1/ALL constantly (or ctrl + s on the computer keyboard).

4. crystaldrone

hey thanks for the help.. but thats what, there is no option like auto save in the preferences. checked it so many times. I have the 2.1.2 version. Shift + All works but still auto save is the best way to go i feel. Why do they want me to get used to such a redundant thing in the first place like making sure to do a Shift + All?
    Every damn thing can be automated in maschine but they cant automate a save function? funny story.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

It's not that they want you to do anything, it's just that an auto-save function hasn't yet been implemented. So until it is, the manual way is the way to go, I'm afraid.

In addition to auto-saving, a recovery function would be good and (to me) even better, but that's just because I'm generally so used to the save shortcuts and prefer to choose when my projects are saved (especially because it clears the undo history, I believe).

6. m:t:c

m:t:c NI Product Owner

auto save to new version (w/ user pref to set how many versions) would be perfect.

7. crystaldrone

Hope it gets incorporated in the next version. Till then, just need to remember to shift+all every now and then.

8. 2046

2046 NI Product Owner

Autosave is a must..
    Though better would be snapshots.

Create project and anytime you save you create a its snapshot, Something like simple versioning.
    The autosave would be saved as snapshot with a post-or-prefix "autosave" :)

If they incorporate Git like style with granular savings, we could make hundred snapshots with miniscule disk usage.

The current simple save (shift+all) is a work killer from time to time.. re-save your project with a change you don't like later and you are f.... resaving one file is completely wrong.. what if the file get corrupted, during the saving? The program could crash during the save or what ever can happen to that file..
    Some softwares even create auto save projects when they crash, that is also something to be considered.. I think the Git like snapshots would be the best solution for another generation.
    In NI slang .. "Future saving for the future sound"

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  9. tattootroy

tattootroy NI Product Owner

they need to employ better software programmers. or up the wages

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Chegvara

Chegvara New Member

Just lost 3 hours of work because we are still missing this basic feature.. so used to have it in other softwares that i forgot to save..

Indeed.. keep giving us some useless bass/marimba in the next update...

Having to finish proper songs in other softwares, i end up using Maschine just like a scratchpad..

Now Serato made a basic and way more effective AND inexpensive plugin when it comes to sample and time stretch...

So at the end, what are you good at? let's admit, sound design, for the rest i have to use something else.

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  11. Goon

Goon NI Product Owner

Autosave is a must and a real saver when its needed.

12. Kaldosh

Kaldosh NI Product Owner

+1

I lost all my work yesterday... Like a newbie. But yes an autosave would be great.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Dallon426

Dallon426 NI Product Owner

And default save. Let us choose our default places to store and save our projects. Also a default space for exports

• Like Like x 2
  14. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

That's already a feature like I explained in the other thread you made. (Simple change the default user location)

15. einfach Felix

einfach Felix NI Product Owner

This post is 4 years old and they still didnt manage to implement this one actually simple to do feature. really embarassing.

• Like Like x 1
  16. CADILLAKTRACKZ

CADILLAKTRACKZ NI Product Owner

THIS IS BULL, I JUST LOST MY FIRST PROJECT AND THERE IS NO BACKUP....

17. deadly.studio

deadly.studio NI Product Owner

Auto Backup - Must have feature!! def def. - And the possibility to undo after saving!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Mizamook

Mizamook NI Product Owner

+1 to above, especially, having just saved over something and then found I had messed up and was working on the wrong thing. Luckily I found it again, but being able to undo past a save would be GREAT, or revert to a .bak file (like so many other programs!)

19. Nikal Might

Nikal Might NI Product Owner

Reaper has the option to autosave timestamped versions of the project which has saved me many a time when a plugin has crashed, or I've made an error of judgement. There also needs to be an option to determine how often autosave kicks in as not enough will allow you to lose too much work and too often may cause glitches and mess up recording.

20. kndktr

kndktr New Member

+1

I've had Maschine/computer crashes and lost a ton of work since previous saves or altogether. I'm lucky to have the memory to redo several parts of a track, but would be great to not need to.