Automatic creation of PLAYLIST structure

Discussion in 'Feature Request' started by djinet, Jun 17, 2020.

1. djinet

djinet NI Product Owner

Hi.

I think it's time, now that this new beta is focused on optimizing the Traktor file explorer, to suggest the following feature:

I would like to drag to the traktor PLAYLIST FOLDER, a local folder estructure containing subfolders with music tracks inside, in wich way Traktor automatically create a folder structure that corresponds to the folder tree of this dragged folder, and a internal playlist, inside each folder that contains the tracks inside.

I think it would be a great idea, above all, to help export, import and integrate your software from and to other djing applications.

Thanks. A greeting.

2. Almaz

Almaz NI Product Owner

I think each track has too many criteria to divide them into folders. For example, I mark about 5-7 parameters in each track, and if I wanted to put this in folders, it would be labyrinths in which we can get lost. It seems to me enough to divide into underground, pop, house, trance and so on. that is, at general styles, and a more detailed division to do in the traktor itself, another thing is that the traktor does not have a search filter, smart playlists, and so on, and we have to create a bunch of folders in the traktor itself.

Also, if you want to drag tracks to other software, you can simply select the tracks in the traktor’s playlist itself and drag them into the desired folder or dj program.

3. djinet

djinet NI Product Owner

Almaz I believe, with all my respect, that you did not understand my suggestion at all.

I already start from a folder structure on which I have done hard work, classifying my tracks. I do this in a local folder, so that it can serve me, both for other types of software and for autonomous devices such as the PIONEER CDJ 2000 NXS2, Denon SC5000, etc.

I explain it to you graphically, to see if you understand it like this:

D:\FACEBOOK LIVE 2020-05-15
    ├───Esencia
    │ ├───Bases
    │ ├───Bases Techno
    │ ├───PURA ESENCIA
    │ ├───Trance
    │ └───Vocales
    ├───Remember
    │ ├───Bases
    │ └───Vocales
    └───Revival
    ├───Bases
    ├───Esencia
    │ ├───Bases
    │ ├───Progressive-Trance
    │ └───Vocales
    └───Vocales

I insist: The idea is that Traktor replicates that structure, as I explain in the first post (dragging that local folder into the Traktor PLAYLIST folder), so that I don't have to do it manually.

I already know that I can get to these directories through the Traktor browser, including search in the collection, but I wish to have it as a folder and list structure in the Traktor Playlist.

Do you undesrstand now?

4. Almaz

Almaz NI Product Owner

djnet, I understood it the first time, it's all right.
    In this case, under your system, when we drag tracks inside playlists, they should also move on ours hard drive. I also once thought about such a system, I like it too, I think it should also not be difficult to implement. but I use a slightly more complex folder structure. For example, I search for music in Spotify and sort them according to my algorithm(speed, energy, genre, mood, etc.) and I have more than 110 folders and playlists in Spotify for one type of mix, and this I simplify a little more. For each tag or parameter, we need to create one level of abstraction (folder or playlist). Therefore, I would not mind my files being stored exactly as you describe, but if we reach a certain level of complexity, we will still have to add the tools of the program itself to this system of folders and playlists. So I would say that this system works on easy sorting and medium complexity sorting.
    Any thoughts?

5. djinet

djinet NI Product Owner

Dear Almaz:

I don't know what profile you have: radio dj?, home dj?, professional dj?, perhaps productor... or what kind of music do you work with.

My profile mainly deals with electronic music, ranging from progressive, trance, tech-house and techno.

I have never believed that the smart playlist will be close to its implementation, from the starting point of many of the metadata (except the basic ones name, author, album, etc.), for example: genre, bpm, duration, key, etc. they are approximate because human intervention has little to do (These metadata leave the factory in an automated way using computational recognition before or after), for example in genre classification. Quality, this (genre), main with which I work. This is quite subjective.

I spend much more time looking for and listening thousands of tracks in this ocean of trash to make a unique, avant-garde, homogeneous and forceful session, classifying by ear the genre of the few quality production tracks that I have been able to locate, than paying attention to other types of parameters. I only need folders by year, date, gender and sub-genre. And of course scoring/rating, which I do not do using Traktor but with Mediamonkey, much more comfortable for preselection. It's enough for me.

In short, I think that yours and mine are 2 profiles and 2 different styles, and therefore 2 different points of view.

For me, who am a programmer, I think it would not take long to implement a functionality like the one I describe in the first post. For me, it would be of great help and utility.

Regards.

6. alec.tron

alec.tron NI Product Owner

Heya,
    this is very unlikely to come (imo).
    But, what you can do, is build a playlist tree based on folders elsewhere (powerful media/playlist managers [I"d wholeheartedly recommend MusicBee for that on PC...], but could be done with others, or by coding somethng up yourself), and inject it into an iTunes XML file (again, via MusicBee or iTunes), which Traktor (& Serato / Rekordbox) can then read.
    Then you can generate the folders/playlists as needed / dynamically, based on location/metadata/etc, and have them available in your DJ package...
    c.

• Like Like x 1