Average turn around time for tickets?

Discussion in 'NI Website and Forums' started by jay_, Feb 12, 2019.

1. jay_

jay_ New Member

I created a ticket that's time sensitive (#1765873) late last Thursday. I've yet to hear anything back. Looking on the web, the status is "Open".

What's the typical turn around time? Is there some other method of getting support for registered customers? A less publicized phone number by chance?

Any tips or tricks for getting timely support would be greatly appreciated.

2. Ryan Price

Ryan Price New Member

Im in the same boat. Looks like this is typical.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Matt @ NI

Matt @ NI Support Team NI Team

4. jay_

jay_ New Member

Thanks for bumping it up. I appreciate it… As ridiculous as it is that my simple question need's to be marked urgent.

It still hasn't been answered though.

As of right now, it's been 132 hours since I submitted the ticket.

Matt, can you answer my original question: What is the average turnaround time on a ticket?

Is this unusual? Is this what NI feels is appropriate for customers? Or has something gone wrong?

5. Matt @ NI

Your ticket hasn't been answered yet as it's early in LA and so our team might not be in office quite yet. They will answer to your request as soon as possible.

We are experiencing a large volume of request at the moment and it's not unusual to see a reply after 2-3 working days.
    You filled your ticket on Friday and looking at our back-log, you would have most likely received an answer today even without my intervention. You can always give us a call during opening hours if you need a quick answer.

What is the average turnaround time on a ticket? For this type of request, I would imagine between 1 - 2 working days.
    Do we feel it's appropriate to customers to wait as long ? NO and again this is relatively unusual. We are already working on new tools to help us reduce that waiting time by as much as possible. I'll share more about this on this forum soon.

Don't hesitate if you need more details about all this.

• Like Like x 1
  6. jay_

jay_ New Member

Thanks for the extra info Matt. It's good to hear NI is working on the problem.

For folks wondering what to expect on their tickets:

My ticket was created on February 07th at 21:02.
    After posting in the forum, Matt bumped the status to "Urgent" on February 13th around 2:00.
    It was answered on February 14th at 2:47 (roughly 24 hours after the change to urgent).

I didn't get a chance to try the phone number (Monday – Friday 12:00 – 4:00 pm PST is a small and difficult window for my job).

It would seem the current backlog is immense. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has had better luck with the phone number?

Now that my question is answered, I'm back to waiting. This time for an approval on a License transfer request. Hopefully that's faster. And I don't have to field angry email's from a buyer who just opened his exciting new hardware and can't do anything with it. :(

The license transfer request was sent on February 14th at 6:02am. Lets count the time…

7. Matt @ NI

I understand your frustration Jay but I'm not sure how counting the minutes in between ticket reply is really helping here. Like I said, we do have a backlog due to a recent increase in requests but it doesn't take away the fact that we do not work 24/7.

However, I'd like to stress that in case of a second-hand sale, being pro-active and processing a license transfer BEFORE the sale is the best way to go about this ;)

8. jay_

jay_ New Member

The answer to your second point explains the first.

I sold the item back on the 7th. It's arriving in the buyers hands today or tomorrow.

I assumed that 7 days (for those playing at home, that's 5 working days with 8 hours in each ;)) would be more than enough time to handle the transfer. That's a reasonable assumption. It's based on normal expectations of support for paying customers.

I found out my assumption was wrong.

Tracking the time it has taken and publicly posting it here helps other people avoid making the same assumptions.

It also provides accountability. I have no reason not to trust you, Matt. I do have plenty of reason not to trust larger companies and their customer support. If people are searching for and sharing similar experiences three months from now, some customer (or potential customers) might decide it reflects poorly on NI as a company. If they aren't searching, NI managed to handle whatever pains they had and it's a just a blip that will fade away.

Right now, asking about other's people experiences was the only way I could see to figure out how worried I should be about the situation. And if more steps were needed for a resolution.

If the help form listed the average response time for the last week or so none of this would be needed.
    (Of course that comes with it's own problems - Such as support agents valuing speed over thoughtfulness. But that's probably getting into the weeds).

The same is true of the license transfer. I have no idea if it takes a few hours, a few days, or a few weeks. NI hasn't done anything to set an expectation. The only thing I have to go on is a support ticket that took, in my opinion, twice as long as it should have.

This page doesn't say anything about completing the transfer before completing the sale:
    https://www.native-instruments.com/en/my-account/license-transfer/

Neither does this one:
    https://www.native-instruments.com/en/my-account/license-transfer/request-for-transfer/

Since we're talking about what is and isn't helpful, you stressing completing it beforehand right here at this time is probably the least helpful way to impart that information.

It's not of zero value. I'm glad it's here for other people to find if they think to search the forum before selling their product, but it's certainly been of no help to me. I can't act on it in any meaningful way.

The same could be said of me (and anyone else) logging ticket times here. As I've said, there are better options. But NI hasn't implemented any of them. Until they do, this is the best we've got.

9. Matt @ NI

HI Jay,

Your License Transfer request has been replied to now.
    Please make sure to get back to us as soon as possible if you want this to be solved today.

Regarding the points expressed above, I was not arguing the fact that publicly discussing this topic isn't important. I believe it is and that is why I'm discussing this topic with you here and share your experience with our teams.
    We know we can improve a lot of things when it comes to registration issues or even support in general and are currently working on it actively.

My point was simply saying that such detail might not be relevant due to the nature of the issue. For instance, your ticket would now be solved if the specific licenses attached to your account would not prevent our license transfer procedure (I have detailed that in your ticket). However, the detail of your experience in your last reply is greatly appreciated. It will certainly help us understand where things go wrong and tweak some processes to better address those issues.

For reference, we are now working on better tools to address such specificity so customers can directly contact us to solve those questions almost immediately. I feel pretty confident that in a few weeks, you wouldn't have to face such exceptional delays in dealing with registration issues.

10. Lab Rat

Lab Rat NI Product Owner

As a seller, I don't think I'd want to transfer a license before I received payment. What happens if the buyer doesn't pay? The buyer would now have access to any software attached to the hardware, along with any upgrade options. I agree, the buyers needs to do his due diligence, but the seller needs some protection, too.

11. Matt @ NI

You can simply keep your Transfer ID to yourself until the payment has been made. The best is to have the Transfer ID ready and if the sale doesn't happen for any reason, you can always cancel it on our website directly.

12. Mick @ NI

Mick @ NI Banaholic NI Team

As a seller you don't transfer your serials to another user.

What happens when you request a transfer is that you get a Transfer ID, which the new buyer can use to register the product

So as a seller, the best thing to do is already request this transfer (effectively de-registering the serial from your account) and having it all ready for the buyer :)

All the info on that can be found here: https://support.native-instruments....a-License-Transfer-ID-to-Sell-Your-NI-Product

13. Lab Rat

Lab Rat NI Product Owner

I realize that. Maybe I misunderstood what Matt meant. He said to process the transfer ID before the sale. I've bought items off of Ebay and Reverb.com. First I check the sellers feedback rating. If the ad doesn't state whether or not the license is included, get in touch with the seller to verify the license is included. Too many buyers see a deal that's too good to be true without asking questions, and then ask NI why they can register their product.