B4 II under Windows 7 64-bit

Discussion in 'B4 & B4 II' started by munichlondon, Sep 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. munichlondon

munichlondon Forum Member

Hi NI-Team,

as B4 II has been discontinued, does the existing version run under Windows 7 64-bit?

Regards
    munichlondon

2. states

states NI Product Owner

yes it does ! (works fine in both Cubase5.1 and Live8.0.4)

3. pbryant

pbryant New Member

Well that's a relief then......but not actually making me very happy.

I got turned-on to B4 through a cracked version.....I subsequently purchased a 'legal' version - specifically as my conscience doesn't allow me to use pirated software - but more importantly, because I wanted to ensure that by paying for my share of the developer's efforts, I could be assured of ongoing support and maintenance.

Isn't this one of the arguments that organisations like FAST use, to justify why we should all be good, honest citizens and stump-up our hard-earned cash for software?

Now I'm beginning to regret that I bothered going 'legal'.

---

Ooops - I just noticed the sticky thread from late yesterday afternoon where the moderator says -

'The affordable 57 DrawBar Organ instrument is our alternative offer for drawbar organ fans.'

At a superficial level, it just hacks me off that I paid more cash for the retail B4-II pack, but now I can now download the claimed replacement product for just 49 euros.

But being more serious, am I correct in assuming that a Kore SoundPack is not a like-for-like replacement for the dedicated organ interface that was B4? Certainly I can't see how I could take an old project with B4, and just treat 57 DrawBar as an upgrade - it looks like a totally different architecture.

Has anybody here done an informed features comparison? (between 57 DrawBar and B4-I/II)

Is 57 DrawBar really a great (bargain) replacement for B4-II? From taking a quick look at the blurb (including manual), it looks like we have lost the familiar organ-like interface, and are now faced with what appears to be like a more generic sample player?

The sound samples on the demo page seem to be very clean, but not that varied? It seems that somebody at NI is basing their claims for 57 DrawBar purely on sonic and technical attributes, yet many of us here will place much more emphasis on the very analogue/organic nature of the similarities with 'the real thing'. DrawBars, not knobs...pedal board, swell pedal, two manuals, close integration with the Leslie, bla bla bla

I really do hope hope I'm not really being a Luddite, so somebody please tell us how it is.....anybody here using 57 DrawBar in anger yet?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  4. B4Maniac

B4Maniac New Member

I'm interested in knowing that too actually, anybody?

5. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Moderator Moderator

57 DrawBar is SAMPLES, it's not MODELLED, hence it's not the same thing. Less flexibility this way, yes.

If you want the same flexibility, turn over to GSi VB3.

6. BurtaN

BurtaN NI Product Owner

What about Kore?

Somebody knows?

BurtaN

7. charater

charater Account Suspended

hey just a question guys... i can still get b4 II, should i buy it or not?

8. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Moderator Moderator

If you're not on Mac, then yeah, you should have no problems.

9. Umudo

Umudo Forum Member

Well it still works on Snow Leopard with no issues. So you can use it with it. B4 II's a must have, but with no support anymore.

10. pbryant

pbryant New Member

Hey 'states' - you said above that it works under Win7 64-bit.....but are you doing it in Cubase 32 or 64?

Sorry for the pedantic question, but it's not working for me with 64-bit Win7 and 64-bit Cubase 5.1.1. Having configured B4-II so that the plug-in paths are correctly found, I can load the plug-in, but as soon as I go to trigger a sound (from the Cubase sequencer, or by clicking on the on-screen keyboard), the plug-in window goes white and Cubase hangs.....

Any clues/hints please?

Finding the whole 64-bit transition to be less than easy :-(

11. TvTan

TvTan Forum Member

Hi, have B4 II, it is excellent, can't fault it, :) have tried the 57 Drawbar, not a touch on it in any way, very limited in comparison and in no way a direct replacement. Get the B4 II if you are prepared to live without any kind of support or future compatibility, (it works with 10.6.2 and Logic 9.1, no idea about Windows), otherwise go with GSi VB3 as mentioned above.

12. unifaun

unifaun New Member

Does anybody know, if B4 II runs under Windows 7 64 bit as a stand alone application?

13. BurtaN

BurtaN NI Product Owner

At least it does in Kore.

BurtaN

14. mrKey

mrKey NI Product Owner

Yes, it does.

15. pbryant

pbryant New Member

+1 yep, it does work stand-alone.

Had a few quirks as a VST inside 64-bit Cubase 5 though (patched to v5.1.1 build 120).

On some PC Win7 installations it has been fine, on others I reliably get what I expect soon to be known as the 'white non-responding windows of near death'.

If you get them, you'll soon know what I mean - fortunately a shutdown of Cubase (via Task Manager) is enough to let you repeat your attempts - so no need to re-boot the O/S or hardware.

Not sure whether it's something odd about my Win7 installs, or the sequence in which VSTs have been added and updated. I will try and identify the exact cause ASAP and report back here.

On the broken machines, I get fairly predictable different experiences depedending on whether -

- loading pre-existing, complex arrangements (which include B4-II instrument tracks) from inside Cubase (generally doesn't work)

- loading Cubase with a pre-existing arrangement (which uses B4-II tracks) from the Win 7 Start Menu/Recent method (usually works)

- starting new arrangements from scratch and including new tracks with B4-II (always works)

- going into Cubase and loading B4-II as a VST instrument using F11, without an arrangement loaded (always works)

I will try soon to establish whether the problem may be directly associated with different versions of Win7/64 - currently I have the problem with Professional 64, but not Ultimate 64.

If I get time I will try and establish whether the symptoms also follow when using 32-bit Win7 and/or 32-bit Cubase 5.

Sadly, I'm having similar (but not identical) problems with Steinberg's own Hypersonic 2 - more white non-repsonding windows, but instead of near death, I get unrecoverable 'bridge failed to communicate' type errors - from Steinbergs own internal bridge code! (no Jbridge in this equation....yet)

I have to say that Microsoft's Win7 experience has been almost flawless so far - only missing/unavailable drivers have clouded that picture so far.

The 64-bit version of Cubase 5 is generally loading 32-bit-created projects OK, with the exception of these problems listed here.

Currently making my blood boil?

1) discontinued, and therefore unsupported/frozen-in-time products from Steinberg (Hypersonic) and from Native Instruments (B4). How many more pieces of highly-priced-at-the-time VSTs are going to be discovered useless in the coming weeks/months?

2) Steinberg's attitude and prioritisation to the whole 'bridge' topic - either Cubase 5 is VST-compliant or it's not. It's just not good enough to invent a (series of) standard, and then blame the rest of the world when your 64-bit code clearly can't cope any more.

3) I haven't yet re-authorised the B4-II, but widely expect to fall foul of the 2(?) installations rule......despite them residing on the same physical machines and hard disks as my old, working XP installs. I've tried to play safe by dual-booting XP and Win7, until all the 64-bit Win7 and Cubase issues are resolved......I'm starting to doubt that some of them ever will get fixed though. I really think that NI should 'up' the install count, or make it infinite for discontinued products. I have to say that I'm starting to appreciate the Syncrosoft/Ilok USB dongles for protection at the moment.

Pi55ed-off, but haven't given-up (yet). I'll be back soon.

Anybody else with similar symptoms or emotions?

16. Ivansc

Ivansc New Member

Well at least we got some kind of reaction in the form of a survey to complete, I suppose....
    Wonder if it will cahnge anything?

On a positive note I didn`t realise there were people already running in 64 bit win7.

I have been putting off switching BECAUSE of the B4 II.

Got to say that on checking out the 57 drawbar "replacement" for B4 II it doesnt even come close for me.

17. TvTan

TvTan Forum Member

Survey? that would be a start, can't find it, have you a link please?

18. Ivansc

Ivansc New Member

It would appear to have only been sent to existing B4 II owners who have registered their software, which I have.
    Came in the form of an email.

It was mostly geared towards "what would you use as an alternative?" and "do you really use all the functionality of the B4 II?"

I dont expect them to 4 bit Windows seven-ise B4 but I think all the moans on here and other places HAVE had their effect.

I still cant believe that such a seminal, core sound is to be "brushed under the carpet" this way.

I`d be curious to know how many hit records have been cut using sounds from the B4...

At the end of the survey I offered to pay for a 64bit win7 upgrade, but who knows?

I suspect NI are much too busy trying to convince people that the only peice of software they need is Komplete.

Pesonally, I have two fairly old fairly slow computers which between them cope with my VSTi needs, but if I was forced to do everything on one machine I would also be forced to spend several hundred Euro/Pounds/Dollars buying a new mobo cpu and memory for one of my existing machines.

19. TvTan

TvTan Forum Member

Well thats odd. I'm an existing, registered user of B4 II and I didn't get the mail? I would love the chance to let them know how valuable this piece of software is to me. I use it on an immense number of projects, my clients love it. I am actively putting people off NI now because of debacle over Komplete 6 and the dropping of these instruments and lack of support under Snow Leopard and Windows 7.

If they are going to do a survey, surely they should consult all their customers who use the product?

If NI want my support and continued custom, then all they have to do is support the software you have sold me and provide decent customer service. Jeez!

20. gravehill

gravehill Forum Member

I'm using B4-II with 64 bit Win7 and 64 bit Cubase 5 with the aid of JBridge. Absolutely smooth :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.